Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920 freezes on start. Help please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920 freezes on start. Help please.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: 920 freezes on start. Help please. Reply with quote

Used 920 yesterday - no problems. Started it today. it booted fine and a planned a journey. Shortly after starting out the TT rebooted itself. it only got as far as the opening picture screen and then froze. It will not even turn off from this state. Have reset with pin a few times but it still does the same. Connected to Home and I can use it on there but when I disconnect from computer it reboots to the same splash page then freezes again and won't turn off unless reset.

Completely stumped. Please help. I have an old back up of the TT saved on 'plutor but not sure which map version. It is a bit old though. Other than that I have the original back up disk made when I first got it out the box but have upgraded maps since then.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Home to remove the application from the unit and then reinstall it.

By the way, to find out what version map you have backed up, use Explorer to find a file in the map folder with an extension of .pna It's a text file. Open with Notepad and the 3rd line shows the version number of the map it's named for.
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David. Thanks but you are talking to a self confessed numpty here.

'Remove application from the unit' ?

I have gone into ' remove items' in Home.
I see one application 8.351 If I remove this where do I reinstall from?
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
I have removed the application. Then searched for updates. It downloaded 7.???? and then rebooted to save changes. Rebooted fine. It then connected to TT to look for updates and downloaded 8.351. Now it has downloaded that it tried to reboot again and has got stuck at the same splash screen as before. back to square 1 !!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMmm. Tried it again. Remove application. First downloads 7.481(only option it gives me) It reboots and works fine. Upgrade to 8.351 and it just freezes and won't do a thing.

HELP!!!!! Crying or Very sad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See whether anything here or here helps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to your PC and use Windows Explorer to locate the Western_Europe map folder, open this, now locate the file "MapSettings.cfg" and delete this (a new one will be created when the application starts up again).

You will lose favourites and some things like recent destinations but its worth a try as it is usually the presence of an older incompatible MapSettings.cfg file that causes the continual re-booting - Mike
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - tried that - no good. Note - it is not continually rebooting , it is freezing at the start of start up. Can't even turn it off using the on/off button. Have to reset.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the second 'here' link I provided?
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry David, mised the post. Done all that in the second 'here' apart from the clear flash tool bit. Tried that as well now - still sticks at the opening picture screen and cannot turn off unless with 'pin'.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got an SD card inserted to the device as I have seen this cause issues when the map or application is updated to the wrong location? - If you have a memory card inserted take it out and see if it will boot up, if it does go for the sat strength meter/ version box and tell us what Navcore/ map version is installed.

If the above doesn't work we can try a manual update of the device as follows:
1/ Remove the SD card (if fitted)
2/ Download the latest Navcore to your PC by clicking Here Save the file to your desktop on the PC.
3/ Follow these instructions for putting the Navcore on the device (Note some of the pictures used below are from an earlier Navcore installation I did, but the process is the same and this is the method I use to update ALL TomTom devices) :

To install this to your device I use WinRar which you can download from Here Switch the TomTom on and connect it to your PC, if TomTom Home starts up exit the application as Home isn't needed for this.

Double click the file :

8.351.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO

Depending upon which one you downloaded and winrar will fire up, use the mouse to select all files and folders then click "Extract To"

Locate the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click it, make sure the Overwrite mode is selected to "Ask before overwrite", then press "OK"

When the dialogue box pops up saying "Confirm File Replace" click the "Yes To All" button.

Sit back and watch the progress bar, with a good USB2 connection a Navcore 8,351 installation will take around 2 minutes.

When its finished the update use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the Task Tray and remove the lead from the device.

Let the device boot up and tap the sat strength meter (lower left) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will confirm the version installed is Navcore 8,351 - Mike
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Tried that. Instructions were clear and simple and I am happy I have done it right and it went as described but ............. no change I am afraid. Still hangs on the opening screen. ( made sure the SD card was out too ).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next if your card is large enough copy your backup from the PC to the memory card then try unzipping/ extracting the files from the Navcore download straight to the SD card and insert that then switch it on and see if it makes a difference.
I am wondering if the internal Flash memory has died as this has occured on a few units from time to time. Putting everything on to the memory card usually fixes this issue at zero cost assuming your have a card of sufficiant capacity - Mike
BJB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Sorry David, mised the post. Done all that in the second 'here' apart from the clear flash tool bit. Tried that as well now - still sticks at the opening picture screen and cannot turn off unless with 'pin'.

I have a 530 which is acting in an identical way. Cannot get past initial screen of the 'road junction'. Cannot see TomTom on my computer so cannot reinstall my saved back up. I have tried the suggestions given but no luck. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards Bryan

TomTom Start 20 with UK & Ire maps
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - it boots and runs fine when I delete the application and reload 7.481. it is only when I then further update to 8.351 that it hangs. Was running fine on 8.351.

Can I back up current files on TT to SD then run from SD card as my only back up is very old, or will that not do?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: