Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2 possibly dumb questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2 possibly dumb questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: 2 possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

I have a 4gb sd card installed in my 530, the card has a few mp3 tracks on is there a way I can get the 530 to see the tracks and play them?

From a first look it seems that it only wants to play tracks on the internal memory. Am I going to have to copy all the data from the internal memory and past that onto the sd card and then stick the mp's in the music folder?

secondly.....how does the wireless data thingy work on bluetooth?

I have an iphone that is running on the V3.0 software, the phone connects and makes calls, but won't display texts etc saying it doesn't support wireless data transfer Shocked

cheers
Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the music you need to create a folder named "mp3" (without the "") in the root of the SD card then put all the music files/ folders in it and the device will use them.

The iFone doesn't support the Bluetooth Dun profile so it won't work for a data connection when paired up to the TomTom, handsfree is all you can expect even when using OS3 - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 possibly dumb questions Reply with quote

nighthawk wrote:
I have a 4gb sd card installed in my 530, the card has a few mp3 tracks on is there a way I can get the 530 to see the tracks and play them?

Yes indeed, they need to be in a folder called mp3.
Quote:
secondly.....how does the wireless data thingy work on bluetooth?

The supported features vary wildly from phone to phone. Not a lot you can do about it.
nighthawk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Smile

If I was to send music and route instructions to my car's audio unit via a aux in, am right in thinking the hands free audio would still be from the god awful internal speaker on the go?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom is only capable of offering the handsfree phone sounds via its internal speaker.

I have given up with this and fitted a decent seperate Handsfree kit to the car that can offer phone via the car speakers and TomTom via the car speakers (Navigation and/ or Music) using Bluetooth which negates any additional wires (try a search on this forum for iO-Play for more details) - Mike
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a sub question or 2 (rather than start a new thread on the same theme) on the subject of music on newer tomtom's....

I've got an old TT One V2 that i'm looking to upgrade to soon and even tho the XL IQ looks tempting i like the idea of the hands free on the 530...

Does the 530 store its maps onboard, or on SD? If its onboard, can you still play your music on the SD while navigating?

How big an SD or (hopefully) SDHC can the 530 take (I presume UK maps are still about 2 gigs in size)?

If the Music / nav instructions are played via the FM transmitter, and the handsfree works solely on the internal speaker. Then am I right to assume that the 530 will cut the FM feed to the radio for the duration of your call, then revert back to playing music on my stereo?

Finally a couple of Q's about the 530 itself...

Is the 530T just a 530 with the RDS TMC thingy in the box? And is the TMC data only good for major roads, or will it cover smaller country roads? (I live out in the sticks, so have to nav down back roads to get anywhere!)

Is the optional ipod cable able to control the ipod from the 530, or just an audio in feed (meaning you'd have to have access to the ipod to skip tracks)?

I was looking at the new 540 but the £8 a month to subscribe seems a little bit pricey for the amount i'd really use it!

Sorry if this is a lot to ask at once, but its easy to ask people who use the kit rather than try to make sense of the TT website....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilTwin wrote:
Just a sub question or 2 (rather than start a new thread on the same theme) on the subject of music on newer tomtom's....

Only two questions.....

Well lets see what can be offered:

EvilTwin wrote:
Does the 530 store its maps onboard, or on SD? If its onboard, can you still play your music on the SD while navigating?

You can store the maps and most other files/ folders on either the built in Flash memory or an SD/ SDHC memory card, as long as the files are stored in correctly named folders the software will pick up what is available.

EvilTwin wrote:
How big an SD or (hopefully) SDHC can the 530 take (I presume UK maps are still about 2 gigs in size)?

All the way to 32GB will work if you can justify the cost, I use 8GB and 16GB cards in my units, the only thing to watch is card quality - purchase from E-Bay at your peril as the cards are often "badged" and if they don't read/ write at the correct speed the TomTom will simply reject the memory card - pay peanuts............ (need I say more)

EvilTwin wrote:
If the Music / nav instructions are played via the FM transmitter, and the handsfree works solely on the internal speaker. Then am I right to assume that the 530 will cut the FM feed to the radio for the duration of your call, then revert back to playing music on my stereo?
It should behave this way, I have had some occasions where the mp3 playing didn't restart following a phone conversation but in general this does work in the way you describe.

EvilTwin wrote:
Is the 530T just a 530 with the RDS TMC thingy in the box? And is the TMC data only good for major roads, or will it cover smaller country roads? (I live out in the sticks, so have to nav down back roads to get anywhere!)

Yup the 530 and 530T are the same device, its just the supplied accessory in the box that makes the difference.

EvilTwin wrote:
Is the optional ipod cable able to control the ipod from the 530, or just an audio in feed (meaning you'd have to have access to the ipod to skip tracks)?

The iPOD cable offers control and display of whats loaded to your iPOD, it doesn't supply power to charge the device though which can be a limitation, you can certainly skip tracks etc using the TomTom when cabled this way though.

EvilTwin wrote:
I was looking at the new 540 but the £8 a month to subscribe seems a little bit pricey for the amount i'd really use it!

Unless you are going to use the Live services I would forget the x40 range, as for the 540 and 740 devices do you realise you don't get an mp3 player or FM transmitter - from most of your previous questions I guess this issue might have put the final nail in to your ideas of purchasing a 540?

EvilTwin wrote:
Sorry if this is a lot to ask at once, but its easy to ask people who use the kit rather than try to make sense of the TT website.

Better to ask than stay silent before you spend your hard earned cash, I hope others add to my thoughts but if I were you I would go for the 530 if you need just UK or the 730 for European.

Go to Currys/ PC World and see if they have any RDS-TMC receivers available as you can get these for under £10, Halfords were selling off the iPOD interface leads for as low as £3 earlier this year then see where you can get the best price for a 530 from - Best of luck and I hope thats given you a few ideas - Mike
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its going to be a 530, my TT one had the W.Europe maps, and i've still yet to go driving with it abroad! doesn't make any sense shelling out the extra on maps I won't use...

Just to clarify as far as music goes (sorry i can be a bit thick on these things), I can have my UK maps stored on the 530's internal memory, and my music on an SDHC card (which negates the need for an extra ipod lead). Then as long as its all stored correctly in the right directories, I'll have a nav system and jukebox in one? that plays through my car stereo.

Which would also presumably mean that the traffic announcements from other radio channels should still cut in and warn me of upcoming problems?

Think we have a winner in the 530.

+ dont worry about quality of SDHC's i use 'em in my SLR camera, and wont use anything less than the best!

One more Q....

Is the system reset one of those ridiculously tiny holes you're supposed to poke a paper-clip down?

(Even though most cars I've been in never seem to have a convenient paper-clip in them)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have a self contained device with all the music stored on the device/ SD or SDHC memory card.

It won't listen to the RDS Radio traffic messages broadcast from the radio stations though if you have the mp3 player in use via the car speakers, whilst it is possible to do this by using a Bluetooth HiFi add on kit for the car this costs an extra £60 to £80 depending upon where you find it.

The reset hole is quite a bit larger on the x30 than the earlier units so you can use thicket items to prod the reset switch - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my TT one had the W.Europe maps, and i've still yet to go driving with it
Quote:
abroad! doesn't make any sense shelling out the extra on maps I won't use...
and if you change your mind in the future you can purchase the European map and put it on an SDHC card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: