Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare assistance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Mapshare assistance Reply with quote

Yep, good ole Mapshare.

I decided to do you all a favour and send off a correction to deal with the new permanent 50mph speed limit, both directions on the (three-lane wide!!!) M4 between junctions 24 and 28 (Newport, South Wales).

When it highlighted the M4 from London to the other end of Wales I thought that was a bit too much, so I agreed to edit it. After several attempts, I gave up in despair, quite unable to determine whether I was highlighting sections to mark, or removing the highlighting from them.

So all you Mapshare gurus out there, please submit corrections to make M4 Junctions 24 to 28 permanent 50mph in both directions - they've got a big circle painted on the road surface with a 50 in it and permanent 50 repeaters all along it. I can't do it myself and I'm not in any danger of getting nicked for speeding there (be warned, the first time I really took a note of it, they had 2 cars and three bikes prowling up and down and there's nearly always a bike sitting on the eastbound entry slip at J25). So I don't really mind being without it myself, but you lot might save yourselves some hassle and if enough of you report it, TomTom might read the South Wales media releases heralding it and put it into the next map for me - I can't imagine them sending anybody out there in the foreseeable future, it's only a motorway!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for Roadworks Exclamation

EDIT: Answered my own question.

See HERE (opens in a new window).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not a permanent change to 50mph....
Some bits are due to revert to 70 before December and the whole area is due to have a variable limit from summer 2010..

In that case I would say we shouldn't be correcting it with mapshare, unless the "temporary only" option/feature actually works.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it could be added to the specs camera database if not already.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please yerselves.

In the meantime, you can all drive at whatever speed in a section of motorway covered by what appears to be a permanent speed limit - big 50 in a circle painted on the highway, repeater 50mph signs fixed on purpose erected posts, not frames balancing on sandbags. The deristriction signs as you leave it eastbound at J24 are as big and as permanent as you'll find anywhere in the country. The widening 50mph roadworks signs from J28 to 30 ARE sandbagged ones and very obviously temporary. This is quite a bit more permanent than the A40 London and A303 Mere closures were.

No specs, please - there are NO CAMERAS there.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Please yerselves.

In the meantime, you can all drive at whatever speed in a section of motorway covered by what appears to be a permanent speed limit -

wasn't getting at you Dennis...
Just that we always get theis big warning screen when reporting MapShare corrections, saying "Is this permanent?"
To be honest I've no idea what happens if you say "no", but we've all heard of the temporary night-time road closures that MapShare turns into permanent restrictions.
I suppose we could change it all to 50 now and then try to get it changed back to 70 bit by bit as they move the roadworks.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Please yerselves.

Dennis, I was just trying to understand the situation. Not a dig at you. You are my favourite poster, love your sense of humour to other posters Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article in the link above is (in my opinion) a bit misleading. Read again taking the following thought...

50mph currently applies with "permanent" signs from J24 to J28, where there are no roadworks. The 50mph then continues without a break to J30 (actually, beyond J30, see temp Gatso:58415@50 and temp Gatso:67835@50), but with temporary signs as opposed to the "permanent" signs from 24 to 28. The way I read the article, based on another one somewhere else, is that the 50mph temp limit will disappear when the widening is completed for J29 to J30. As for the variable bit - well, this remains to be seen. You'd think whilst a speed limit and sundry coning and lane closures are in place they might do something about putting the overhead electronic speed limit signs in place, but I haven't seen anything of that - I'm desperately trying to recall any gantries and all I can remember is the one at J24 (my old-age dimension taking effect again!).

I didn't think either of you were having a go - simply treated you both as young whippersnappers who should know better than to question their elders and betters and made a note to give you both a slap next time we meet. Twisted Evil

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DennisN
Given what you've said about Signs on the road, repeaters etc. Is it really necessary for the TT to know this? Unless you make a habit of not looking out of the window? You might even be able to get away with contesting a speeding fine using the incorrect TT data Shocked , just like the other submitter who wants to use his TT as evidence when he turned down a one way street the wrong way (when he was not using his TT).
You can't beat looking out of the window whilst driving Very Happy Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis HAS no window... It's full of TomToms. Wink
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I didn't think either of you were having a go - simply treated you both as young whippersnappers who should know better than to question their elders and betters and made a note to give you both a slap next time we meet. Twisted Evil

Put your foot down Andy, there's Dennis' van

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - you should know better than try to go over to the dark side of Mapshare.

You will be using qGPSFix next.

Or trying to make phone calls.

More fool you - I thought you knew you were lucky if the device actually got you to your destination without needing a reset.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought you knew you were lucky if the device actually got you to your destination without needing a reset
Not a problem when you have half a dozen others to fall back on.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'pose so!

Set them all to the same destination before youset off, turn them all off apart from one, and as each one crashes power on the next.

Ooh - I might get as far as Birmingham like that before I have to reset the first one and start all over again Laughing
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, dont forget that the TT does not use the road speed in the calculation of which route to take. Not with the advent of IQ routes. So changing the road speed will only affect the speed limit displayed on the TT itself. No other benefit will be gained!

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: