Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 8.351 on a Go720 - What's going on? Its rubbish
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 8.351 on a Go720 - What's going on? Its rubbish
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francisbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
whilst Google maps show them as two way

Which can be out of date!!! It's only worth commenting if you know the roads and have recent knowledge of their situation...

I've been assuming the OP knows the roads, hence the original post ...

I'm not sure how barriers are depicted but my maps show West Street to be a two way road for the short distance from King's Road northward to the South Street turning on the right then West Street becomes a one way road in a northerly direction.

As you say, once I've been there I will know the correct situation but I was hoping the Tomtom could be more relied on
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure how barriers are depicted but my maps show

Sorry i didn't make it clear but i was looking at the satellite view on Google Maps. You can see loads of red and white barriers on the street. Zoom in on the junction with Kings Road and then work north-wards.

The change in traffic direction could also seem to fit in with the description from BBC Travel News

Quote:
A2010 East Sussex - Gas main work on Queen's Road between the North Road junction and the Upper Gloucester Road junction in Brighton.

Last updated: 8th June 2009 at 13:32, started: 8th June 2009, ending: 3rd July 2009

Note this thread was started at Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 pm, 2 days after the roadworks started.

As i said, perhaps the roadworks have reduced the roads to one way temporarily? Around the 3rd July i would expect it to change back once the temp MapShare changes expire or a flood of new corrections come in.

Quote:
my maps show West Street to be a two way road for the short distance from King's Road northward to the South Street turning on the right then West Street becomes a one way road in a northerly direction.

Mine show the same. Perhaps traffic from South Street can turn left (Southbound a few meters to Kings Road) or right (Northbound) but no traffic can travel Southbound down West Street from the top for the duration of the road works.

Quote:
I was hoping the Tomtom could be more relied on

Eh? How do you know it's not correct?
Francisbell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eh? How do you know it's not correct?

It would be great if the Tomtom is correct but once again I was referring to what was said by the original poster as I assume from his post he has local knowledge. He said "worst of all central Brighton has gone wrong! The main streets have suddenly been listed as one-way when they aren't and haven't been for as long as I am aware etc. "

It would be handy if he could say if he has up to date knowledge of the roads ......
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The change in traffic direction could also seem to fit in with the description from BBC Travel News

Well this wouldn't be the first time we have seen traffic information from the BBC responsible for some classic map share errors (closure of the A34 or was it the A40) - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be handy if he could say if he has up to date knowledge of the roads ......

As you say, it would be handy, but he's not been back to confirm / deny anything yet.

Quote:
Well this wouldn't be the first time we have seen traffic information from the BBC responsible for some classic map share errors (closure of the A34 or was it the A40) - Mike

Ah. I didn't realise that is what caused it...
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's the town centre there is a possibility it is down to restriction as there are major roadworks going on in the town ..... I will try and remember to ask my mate who lives in Brighton as to which roads are being done

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: