Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Volkswagen partner with Garmin - Meet Click & Ride
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Volkswagen partner with Garmin - Meet Click & Ride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Won't we get problems with thieves knowing we have a removable sat nav.

Don't think so. As Satnavs, tt4uk mentioned that as well, are very common these days, thieves don't just break in because of a windscreen mark or the like. More often they watch vehicles coming into car parks and therefore see, which of those just pop it into the glove box or take it out of the car. Much easier for them, then they know there is something.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to jump on a bandwagon of whining, but the position shown (between the steering wheel and the door post, on the dashboard) is really the worst one, and I've tried many. There'll ALWAYS be sun glare on the screen; and for people in countries that drive on the right side of the road, this means operating it with your left hand.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Well it'll work with a 760 yes, as to which specific vehicles and model years, you'd have to speak to Volkswagen as their is scant info on this product as yet.

Darren,
The original post here said that it was available for the 7x5 series.
Does it also work with the all the 7x0 series or only the 760?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The original post here said that it was available for the 7x5 series.
Does it also work with the all the 7x0 series or only the 760?

It'll work with the 7x0 and the 7x5 series.

The only main difference between models in the same series is the maps.

ie.
750 - UK & ROI
760 - UK & ROI Plus Europe
770 - UK & ROI, Europe Plus USA
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that is a good point, the press release specifically states 7x5. However I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work with the 7x0 but there may be some software reason that requires the 7x5.

Paul, the 7x5 are rather different software wise?

Last edited by Darren on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Not to jump on a bandwagon of whining, but the position shown (between the steering wheel and the door post, on the dashboard) is really the worst one, and I've tried many. There'll ALWAYS be sun glare on the screen; and for people in countries that drive on the right side of the road, this means operating it with your left hand.

I've exactly that setup for my Quest 2, left of the steering wheel beside the door post, and I've no problem with glare at all. This might be because the Quest 2 is especially made to cope well with direct sunlight, I don't know about the other garmin units. And in terms of handling, I don't have any problems either, esp. as you should not operate while driving anyway. ;-) It's the one place on the dashboard where you don't cover up any visibility area and therefore in my opinion a very save location to have the Satnav. I personally don't like it very much in the middle of the car on the windscreen. And to make matters worse, it's illegal to have it there (in the middle of the windscreen) in Switzerland anyway, if you reduce the visibility range in any way.

BeatO
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: VW / Garmin mount Reply with quote

VW Group have done this before, my SEAT Altea XL ( new in 2007 ) came with a simular mount wired into the Audio & Power system with a TomTom go 710.
Mount is on Right hand side of dash and has a swivel and up/down adjustment

Works fine for me.

Regards Chris
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Actually that is a good point, the press release specifically states 7x5. However I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work with the 75x but there may be some software reason that requires the 7x5.

well i have been to my local (large) VW dealer and they had no idea what i was talking about Sad

i forwarded on this link, and two days later they came back and said " we have checked all VW after market sat nav items..and we have nothing at all about a gamin product" they asked if i could get the part or even part number from garmin.
i e-mailed them...and...i am still awaiting a reply.

anyone else have any info...i am going abroad 9th july and would love to have it in and working.
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen partner with Garmin - Meet Click & Ride Reply with quote

News Team wrote:

Dubbed 'Click & Ride', the solution consists of a custom mount that has to be installed by a Volkswagen Partner. This entails connection to power and the vehicle audio system.

anyone have any more info on this....garmin still have not responded (i have sent 2 e-mails)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest its Volkswagen you need to speak to as this is a Volkswagen accessory and sold through VW dealers.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually that is a good point, the press release specifically states 7x5. However I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work with the 7x0 but there may be some software reason that requires the 7x5.

Sorry must have missed this.

The software (and the hardware) seems to be very different between the 7x0 and 7x5 models, however i was originally just looking at this being some sort of custom mount from VW.

The 765 Bluetooth allows you to transmit via Bluetooth A2DP to units like the iOPlay Car Kit. So if this is just a powered mount to be used in conjunction with a Bluetooth unit added to the stereo then in theory any Nuvi should work with the mount, as there would be no requirement to change anything (i.e. no need to make a dedicated hardware version of the 765 for VW, when just a firmware re-write will do).

However older units such as my 760 which lack A2DP support won't be able to transmit instructions and would need to use the Internal Speaker (or FM Transmitter), however if there is nothing special about the mount then i can't see why it wouldn't work for power / mounting.

I suspect for ease VW will be using the 765 A2DP Bluetooth to connect to a Bluetooth Car Kit attached to the VW stereo. To make instructions audible through the mount via a non-Bluetooth method (i.e cable) may require a new dedicated mount (which may or may not be compatible with older Nuvis), possibly new hardware for the 765 and new dedicated firmware.

I'll bet the enhancements made to the VW supplied 765 are similar to those made by Volvo to their supplied 760 last year i.e. nothing more than a custom splash screen and dealer POIs built in. There maybe some "nobbling" too to stop users from switching the Bluetooth off. Funny how the 765 can connect to a phone with Bluetooth in HFP but VW want to sell you a separate unit for this - unless the 765 can't handle A2DP for instructions and HFP for the phone at the same time. I doubt it but I'll have to remember to try it one day.

Edit: Section about cost of VW unit removed. PaulB2005

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Either way at £2,000 it's expensive.

Where does this £2000 figure come from Paul?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does this £2000 figure come from Paul?

It comes from me reading the opening post a while ago and remembering the figure of £2,000 and atributing it in the wrong manner to the cost of the VW kit..... Embarassed
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello PaulB2005,

Have sent you a PM
tt4uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkswagen partner with Garmin - Meet Click & Ride Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
Garmin and Volkswagen have partnered to offer an integrated mount solution for Garmin's nuvi 7x5 range of SatNav devices.

Dubbed 'Click & Ride', the solution consists of a custom mount that has to be installed by a Volkswagen Partner. This entails connection to power and the vehicle audio system.

Designed to be retro-fitted by dealers to both new and used vehicles, the mount has passed the stringent approvals process of Volkswagen and ensures it is located in the bottom left hand corner of the windscreen (for LHD) and right hand corner (RHD).

Well darren, after exhaustive research both by My VW dealer and another large VW dealer i phoned.....they have no idea what i was talking about.

so to garmin...and after e-mailing product support (twice) and receiving no reply, i phoned them...0808 238 0000. They also had no idea what i was talking about, but promised to look into it. today they phoned me back...NO, there is no such product. they asked where i had got the information, so i emailed them the link.

maybe darren you could enlighten us as to where this "Rumour" came from.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: