Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
My point was that if someone runs into you and then drives off again you've no evidence of the guilty party - unless you can remove it to use as a hand-held camera.

True, assuming they run into you from behind and then u-turn and drive off?

But if they bump you and then drive on and pass the front of your car you'll have a video record of the bump (which will also be recorded on the shock graph) and as it has audio you can speak and have your words saved so a useful way of quickly noting the VRN?

As i say, this isn't going to be for everyone but having one fitted may even reduce your insurance premiums.
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realise you could record your voice onto it - must have missed that bit - yes that could be useful.
Not being picky about this by the way. I like the gadget and am just trying to find some way of justifying getting one!
If they were cheaper then another one for the rear would be handy!
Anyway, will look forward to your review.

.....Ken

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Can't help with justifying the cost but have a read of the final review when it's ready and we can discuss it in more detail then.
HairyDJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always fancied a bit of kit like this since seeing similar in use in USA cop shows where insurance companies required installation for their "regular" customers.

As a tall chap, I hate anything at all in my eyeline / close to the top of the screen, but have fingers crossed for a favourable review. I'd also like to see some external piccies to get an idea of how at risk I might be for some yobbo with a brick who spots it and thinks it's worth smashing in to steal? Removable when unattended just means no space left in my pockets - already full of mobile phone and sat-nav :roll:

Much as I'd love my evidence to be used against some idiot who runs into me, I'm not so keen on the idea of his defence team being able to take a snoop through my last few days of driving to try and spot the moment I spent at 71mph on a clear motorway - trying to show I'm other than a perfect driver :oops: There are some pretty horrible rules on disclosure if you start to produce extracts of evidence to prove your point without disclosing anything that might aid the opposition!

Still likely to go onto my Christmas list though :wink:
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on my birthday list (sooner than Christmas!), just pending the review. If you don't trash it, I'll have one.

Please answer the question as to whether it'll work hand held too.

I noted conflicting information about SD card capacities. The Roadhawk site says 512Mb to 16GB SDHC, the shop place says ANY size card. Can you also try to see how much will go on what size card. Also, does it indicate how much card space has been taken up (or balance remaining). It seems to me a bit of marketing hype when they talk of 5 days on a 2GB card. I have some concerns as to how long it will record at 640x480, which seems a useful resolution - will it record say 12 hours? More? Or how many and what size cards to record my three week Grand Europe Holiday Driving Tour 2010? Maybe we could use it to record/log new speed cameras (video and GPS and Google Earth).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HairyDJ wrote:
As a tall chap, I hate anything at all in my eyeline / close to the top of the screen, but have fingers crossed for a favourable review.

As this is a review 'loaner' I am using the suction cup mount but the permanent fit one gives it a much lower profile and it would be hidden behind the mirror in my car at least if that were used. Having said that, even the suction mount which causes it to be lower doesn't cause me any distraction at all.
Quote:
I'd also like to see some external piccies to get an idea of how at risk I might be for some yobbo with a brick who spots it and thinks it's worth smashing in to steal? Removable when unattended just means no space left in my pockets - already full of mobile phone and sat-nav Rolling Eyes

Whilst it can be removed, I'd consider this a permanent fit. As for theft risk, everything is at risk but most thieves would in my experience steer clear of anything such as this for fear it was recording them in the act. They would not know where the recorded video was stored.
Quote:
Much as I'd love my evidence to be used against some idiot who runs into me, I'm not so keen on the idea of his defence team being able to take a snoop through my last few days of driving to try and spot the moment I spent at 71mph on a clear motorway - trying to show I'm other than a perfect driver Embarassed There are some pretty horrible rules on disclosure if you start to produce extracts of evidence to prove your point without disclosing anything that might aid the opposition!

True but you only have to disclose the relevant files. They are recorded in short blocks and there is nothing to stop you deleting the others.

There is also a mode where it ONLY saves film when the G-Force rises above a set level. That would mean no film other than the preceding 30 sec (user configurable) would exist.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If you don't trash it, I'll have one.

If my birthday hadn't just passed it'd be on mine too!
Quote:
Please answer the question as to whether it'll work hand held too.

It won't. It has no internal battery.
Quote:
I noted conflicting information about SD card capacities. The Roadhawk site says 512Mb to 16GB SDHC, the shop place says ANY size card.

I will seek clarification.
Quote:
Can you also try to see how much will go on what size card. Also, does it indicate how much card space has been taken up (or balance remaining). It seems to me a bit of marketing hype when they talk of 5 days on a 2GB card. I have some concerns as to how long it will record at 640x480, which seems a useful resolution - will it record say 12 hours? More? Or how many and what size cards to record my three week Grand Europe Holiday Driving Tour 2010? Maybe we could use it to record/log new speed cameras (video and GPS and Google Earth).

Don't forget that this operates in a loop. As soon as the card is full it begins overwriting the earliest files.

Difficult for me to test in the short time I have it but I have already considered the cam recording role and it WOULD work and work well. You can shout out the camera type and if you hit the emergency button on the underside (nice and large it is too) it will add an EMERGENCY tag to the file name making it easy to locate amongst the many files created.
66Mustang
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any benefit such as reduced insurance premiums for having such a device - it could afterall show that the user was driving like a twit and would therefore make you modify your driving accordingly?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Mustang wrote:
Is there any benefit such as reduced insurance premiums for having such a device - it could afterall show that the user was driving like a twit and would therefore make you modify your driving accordingly?

Give your insurance company a call and ask?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren, I recognised that it records in a loop, which is why I was interested in seeing if it has a full/empty indicator - I would envisage if I wanted to record all day, I'd shove another SDHC card in when one got full, to avoid the overwrite.

As for handheld recording, I note it comes with a 5 metre cable, so I fancy it could well be used close outside if you are prepared to suffer a permanently snaking cable inside the vehicle.

Try not to do a trash review - I think I really want one!

As for theft of permanent fixture, how about a nice little sign on the screen above it saying "Warning, CCTV"? Laughing

Just a thought - not much use in bad weather with rain/snow on the screen - maybe better mounted within the wiper arc?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Thanks Darren, I recognised that it records in a loop, which is why I was interested in seeing if it has a full/empty indicator - I would envisage if I wanted to record all day, I'd shove another SDHC card in when one got full, to avoid the overwrite.

I have a 2GB card in at the moment and that should do a full day and more easily.
Quote:
As for handheld recording, I note it comes with a 5 metre cable, so I fancy it could well be used close outside if you are prepared to suffer a permanently snaking cable inside the vehicle.

Not entirely practical though!
Quote:
Just a thought - not much use in bad weather with rain/snow on the screen - maybe better mounted within the wiper arc?

Yes, it should of course always be installed within the arc of the wipers.
welshdragon69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Coppers Reply with quote

The traffic cops would love to stop you and take a look at this, imagine!! you dodged the road side cash collectors only to be nicked by PC plod in his jam sandwich!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i presume they would have to have reason to search the vehicle? likewise they could also nab your satnav and see if it logs speed etc as well as your mobile to check if you have been using it etc...

to be honest, i seriously doubt they would!

MaFt
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i presume they would have to have reason to search the vehicle? likewise they could also nab your satnav and see if it logs speed etc as well as your mobile to check if you have been using it etc...

to be honest, i seriously doubt they would!

MaFt

I beg to differ. I have some footage of an inqusitive copper wanting to know what I was doing with a camera in my car when I was filming a review. He claimed I was touching my GPS after I started moving at traffic lights.

Not true and would not have been able to see anyway. Still got the once over though Police
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting system and it looks pretty slick. Ideal for those camera spotting trips, guys! No more making multiple passes at a site to get the location accurate - just review the video afterwards. Smile

However, I've got serious privacy concerns about this gadget. The police would certainly take it away to be used as evidence if you were stopped for a serious driving offence or involved in a major crash. It's not a nice thought but you can't count on being able to destroy or selectively present the evidence after a serious crash.... Sad

It's a two edged sword if the evidence isn't in your favour.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: