Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 740 Live how do I get free trial for HD Traffic etc.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 740 Live how do I get free trial for HD Traffic etc.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: New 740 Live how do I get free trial for HD Traffic etc. Reply with quote

I Have just bought a 740 Live to replace my 910 which won't charge anymore but how do I get the Live Services activated. I can't find anything in the manual or on TomTom's website other than paying for it.

I keep getting the error 'Unable to connect to server'.
Is there something I am missing?

Peter
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you registered the 740 to a NEW email address? (I don't think the one you used for the dead 910 will work without TT's intervention, which isn't as easy to get.)
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't change address details, just converted from my 910 acc, as per instructions in Home.

Peter
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I have written to TomTom....

peter
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LIVE Services will automatically activate once they get Vodafone signal. Do you know what the coverage for Vodafone is like near you?

Have you checked the user-name and password have been transfered to the 740?

Tap Screen, TomTom Services.

Is your email address shown at the very bottom left of the screen?

Check under

Tap Screen, Change Preferences, goto Menu 7 of 8, MyTomTom Account

you should be able to enter your user-name and password there (same as your TT Account)
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The LIVE Services will automatically activate once they get Vodafone signal. Do you know what the coverage for Vodafone is like near you?

Have you checked the user-name and password have been transfered to the 740?

Tap Screen, TomTom Services.

Is your email address shown at the very bottom left of the screen?

Check under

you should be able to enter your user-name and password there (same as your TT Account)

Thanks for the info, no, my email etc. hasn't been transferred. I don't know what the vodaphone signal is here in the wilds of Oxfordshire - my mobile on Orange is rather up and down.
I'll give it a try again when I'm out and about.

Thanks

Peter
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try this....?

Quote:

JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Did you try this....?

Quote:

I thought that for the TRIAL, you didn't need to do this, just switch the device on & get a signal. I seem to remember that, in the early days, there was advice posted here specifically suggesting you didn't enter your account details. I can say that, for my 940, the trial worked without my account details, though I had to enter them once I paid for the service.

sausage27, check what you see when you tap on the GPS signal strength meter, then Version then Network.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I've always had my account details there, on both the units i had. In fact in the first week i had this one i lost the HD Traffic for an hour before i remembered I'd changed my password. Entering the new password and everything came back.

However i do seem to remember some people saying they had "Anonymous" (???) as their account details.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
However i do seem to remember some people saying they had "Anonymous" (???) as their account details.

I believe that during the trial period it will work as anonymous but should really work with your username and password as if it does not, after the trial you will have problems.
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now tried all suggestions and also have had a reply back from TomTom they say:-

'Please note that you do not need to enter any account information into your TomTom to use the free trial of Live Services. If you do so, it may prevent the free trial from working correctly.'
'And that it will work straight out of the box'.

Anyway, they have suggested I reset it with a factory reset and start again. But it certainly didn't work out of the box, I bought it in Colchester and went all the way home to Bicester in Oxforshire and all the time the traffic never connected, with a message 'Unable to connect to server'

On the Network button I do get a status of connected with one or two bars at home.

I'll go out later on and give it another try.

The satnav, other than the above, works fine.

Peter
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a "soft" reset. Switch it off, wait a few seconds and hold down the power button (can take upto 30 seconds) until the unit comes on and plays the TomTom sound. It may take a bit longer than normal to start after that. Then place it near a window or out in the open and see what happens. The traffic bar should be grey and have a "wheel" that's spins round until it turns blue. It might also help to have it in the TT Dock so it gets power too.

Note: HD Services shut down if the battery gets low...

Even with poor Vodafone signal here it usually only takes less than a minute to get locked.

After that a Factory Reset might be in order...
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all this I still cannot get Traffic to work. I can only think from reading other posts here that the problem lies in connecting up the unit in Home and transferring my reg details from the 910 to the 740.

Even though this seems like a straight forward process and obviously set by TomTom themselves so it must be ok to do, it doesn't appear to work and messes up the system. I get an 'Error occurred on the TomTom server, please try again' message. So I presume I am connected ok.

I await TomTom support's reply.....

Peter

TomTom 740
TomTom 910
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone TomTom in the morning and explain to them that you have re-used the same e-mail address for the 740 as previously used on the 910 the number is 0845 161 0009

This will be whats wrong, I wouldn't even try to swap the e-mail from the old unit to the new one, simply create an e-mail address out of thin air and use that, as long as its in the normal e-mail format "something@somethingelse.co.uk" the device and TT Server will accept it.

I messed up my 940 by doing similar, its an easy mistake to make but at least 50% of the responsibility for this error resides with TomTom for having such a pathetic registration system - Mike
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike, I'll give them a call.

I put it down fully to TomTom, it's their system so it should work properly and be foolproof. I probably would have been ok as a new customer but this is my 4th TomTom GPS device so you would think they would have made sure loyal customers are catered for. (but perhaps not!)

I know it's only a small part but since they laud it up.... well, you know what I mean.

Peter

PDA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: