Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Monster suction mount review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Monster suction mount review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Monster suction mount review Reply with quote

For some time now we have seen an explosion in the products and availability of mounting options for PDA and GPS devices. A lot of mounts are now multiple usage which coupled with the new UK mobile telephone laws keeps you legal whilst still functional.

This review covers offerings from a a number of manufacturers. These have been generously provided to us for review by Easy Devices, HandNav Technology, and Memory-Map (who are credited alongside the individual items.

For some time now a lot of mounts have had the label "Made in Germany" stamped on them. Indeed it appears as if there is a single manufacturer who is making branded mounts and mounting components for OEM providers as well as some major brands such as TomTom and Seidio.

From the user's perspective this has the advantage that due to the dominance of this company we are starting to see a 'defacto standard' for modular mounting systems. This means that spares should be readily available and the number of configurations and options for mounts should increase.

From my perspective this is fantastic (as a friend of mine says) because now I only need one mounting system and can swap my dedicated holders with ease, meaning that I dont have to re work my cars to use my different testing setups in them.

The whole of the PocketGPSWorld editiorial team and a few other took part in these tests.

Click here for our review.
rampantrabbit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Car kit for ipaq 2210 Reply with quote

I have this type of cradle & find it very secure, but the only gripe I have is that it holds it so secure in its cradle it a job getting it out again, this is mainly due to the rubber sides of the 2210.
But overall well impressed with this kit.

cheers
Rab Thumbs Up
rampantrabbit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Car kit for ipaq 2210 Reply with quote

rampantrabbit wrote:
I have this type of cradle & find it very secure, but the only gripe I have is that it holds it so secure in its cradle it a job getting it out again, this is mainly due to the rubber sides of the 2210.
But overall well impressed with this kit.

cheers
Rab Thumbs Up

meant to addd that I have the Tom tom cradle
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use the TomTom cradle and overall I think it is very good. Yes it does hold my 2210 very tightly and it is difficult to get the thing out again!
If this cradle were to have an integrated speaker then it would be a winner!

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that there was nothing about the Seido GPS2500 - is there a reason Question

I am torn between getting the Tom Tom veriosn and the Seido mount for my Ipaq 2210 - but I am concerned about the talk in some forums about the Seido's speaker humming and over heating - do you have any words of wisdom? or comments?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Seidio 2500 is under review for a more detailed report. That will be released in the near future.

The one I am reviewing is quite good despite some of the comments in the forums. It does suffer a little from interferance, but when you are driving it is not noticable.
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - that is ineteresting as what I really wanted was an amplified mount - but the TT is lacking in this area - so would you say it was OK? and are you having any heating up problems??
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the choice I would go for an amplified TT mount, but they dont do them.

Next best choice is the Seidio 2500 for this type of mount. I havent had any problems with it heating up, but then it is sitting right over an AC vent on the car.
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I think I will go for it - have you hard wired it?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it semi-hardwired. My TomTom GPS is a permanent fixture, as is the power supply, but I have a whole series of mounting options for my different bits of kit, which would make hardwiring a bit difficult as I need to chop and change a lot.

I am currently on tour in Arizona, with my Tungsten T3 and an XDA2 using the desk mounts, couples with a T3 TomTom carkit, and a Powered Brodit XDA holder. This is a good portable setup, and is working really well for me.
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I don't want to disturb your tour of Arizona ( Mr. Green really I'm not jealous!) but before I go for the TT3 with the TT3 bluetooth receiver do you think that I should consider a different type of bluetooth receiver, I like the TT version because it's small, but should I consider something else that is perhaps a bit more powerful??

What do you think

By the way - thanks for your help so faf Thumbs Up
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no worries. It is 5:00AM over here at the moment, I am still running on UK time.

I have had no problems with the TT BT GPS though others have reported a few dead receivers. This was some time ago though, could have just been a faulty batch.

The one I have has performed well for me over the 9 months or so that I have had it. If you want to look for an alternate then check out the Emtac, still one of hte best BT GPS devices despite being the first to market.

There are some known issues with the Palm where you can get some Fatal errors when starting the application. This is due to some kind of corruption in the stored BT configuration. This can be solved by deleting the BT Device Cache and the BT Prefs backup from the Home screen.

If you are only going to use it in one car, you might want to consider a TomTom mouse GPS.
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: just got tomtom kit for 4150 Reply with quote

i just bought the tomtom car kit for my ipaq 4150 and am very impressed with it.

However Im not to keen on the suction mount and im interested in the brodit pro clip mount but i cant get my head around ow it works. i would still like to use the tomtom cradle but how would i attach this to the proclip? are there any other solutions i could consider?
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a TomTom Mount for my 2210 on the basis of this review.

However a couple of things have not gone to plan - I spoke to TotalPda who informed me that the mount was a 12" goose neck mount - and what arrived a mount identical to the Easy Devices desk mount with the bespoke 2210 mount. Confused

Following the comments in the review about getting a hardwired connector from TomTom I wrote and asked - that too is not happening (discontinued). :x

So if anyone has a hardwired cable they don't want I would be grateful for the chance to obtain it. I have a Passat and want(read have) to mount it on beside the A pillar and the cigar lighter is too far for the springy cable.

Chris
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have an iPAQ 3970 and a 2210. I have a Brodit active mount (with a cigar lighter plug) for each iPAQ. Each active mount has a Brodit Move Mount Clip, which allows me to quickly install/remove a powered iPAQ mount into either of my two vehicles that also have Brodit ProClips and Move Mounts.

The above is OK for using my PDAs in my own cars. However I’m going on holiday soon, and I’ll be hiring a car for the holiday. Can anybody please recommend a decent windscreen suction mount (with goose neck if possible) that doesn’t have a universal PDA holder on it, i.e. one that just has a flat surface so I can glue on a Brodit Move Mount Clip which will then allow me to mount the Brodit active Holder on it?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: