Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lane guidance with vertical info-bar
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lane guidance with vertical info-bar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Lane guidance with vertical info-bar Reply with quote

Could be wrong ... but do I remember reading something on these forums about the full Lane Guidance functionality only being available if the navigation bar is in its default (horizontal) position? Personally, I think I prefer it vertical at the side of the screen, but will this limit what the unit gives me in terms of pretty ALG pictures?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the status bar set to vertical you will still get the useless static motorway junction pictures, but you will lose out on the Lane Assistance arrows which are useful.
The only way the device will display Lane Assistance is with the status bar set to horizontal. The Reality View pictures will display correctly with either status bar preference but without Lane Assist if vertical - Mike
i235rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
With the status bar set to vertical you will still get the useless static motorway junction pictures, but you will lose out on the Lane Assistance arrows which are useful.
The only way the device will display Lane Assistance is with the status bar set to horizontal. The Reality View pictures will display correctly with either status bar preference but without Lane Assist if vertical - Mike

Hi
I'm a bit confused, I have my status bar set to vertical and when the lane assist comes on, I get the picture of the junction with a green flashing arrow with which lane to be in.

With the status bar horizontal would I get more?

Cheers
Phil
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get as much information about the next turn. With the Status Bar verical you get told your next turn is left, but with it horizontal you get shown how many lanes there are and which ones can be used to make the turn.

When set vertically the above graphic would just have the left most (left turn arrow).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When set to vertical mode the Lane Assist arrows don't show at all, you will get Lane Assist arrows on motorways and more usefully in major city centers where they are a big help.
The useless static pictures that you are seeing only show up for a few motorway junctions, these are Reality View which is a seperate feature to the Lane Assist - Mike
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When set to vertical mode the Lane Assist arrows don't show at all, you will get Lane Assist arrows on motorways and more usefully in major city centers where they are a big help.

Sorry Mike, I didn't quite follow that.

I have a vertical Status Bar but get the static images and lane arrows at certain junctions when the Status Bar goes horizontal. Are you saying that if I have a permanent horizontal bar I'll always get lane arrows?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that if I have a permanent horizontal bar I'll always get lane arrows?

Reality View (picture of motorway exit) is shown with the bar horizontal so you'll get the Lane Assist icons. However when you apporach a junction in town (where you don't get the Reality View pictures) you'll also get the Lane Assist icons if you have it horizontal at all times.

Change the bar to Horizontal and run a demo through your local town to see...
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Paul.

Although with this idea -

PaulB2005 wrote:
Change the bar to Horizontal and run a demo through your local town to see...

I'll try a demo in London or somewhere down your way as living in the wilds of Lancashire I doubt this town will have lane arrows as TomTom probably think we all still drive a horse and cart! Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try planning a route from the Museum of Science & Industry in Central Manchester (Its a POI in the Museum/ Art Gallery category as supplied with the device).
Make the destination Preston city ceter, you will soon see some of the lane assist arrows as you get near/ on to the A57 about 45 seconds after setting off at 100% demo speed - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: