Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO720 Avoid toll brdiges,How do i know if it has avoided it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO720 Avoid toll brdiges,How do i know if it has avoided it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fair play to Toby here I think. When was the last time anyone from Tom Tom re-read and followed up on anything other than with a copy and paste? And he admits he made a mistake. And he's escalated it with TeleAtlas too. Regardless of how much that turns out to help, I think it makes a refreshing change.

I'm impressed enough not to comment too much on his advice about "see if it navigates you to or away from tit." despite the fact that it would be one feature guaranteed to shift serious units Very Happy
Holux GPSslim
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never emailed tomtom so i didn't know what i was going to get,Strange today ive just put in the same postcodes on my totmtom and now its taking me a different way,It doesn't even say avoid toll bridge.

EDIT:

O i know why its done that today,Its the IQ Route thats taking me a different way,If i turn of iq route then its taking me the toll road way.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigfield wrote:

Now something makes me think he isn't telling the truth when he said he is from Exeter and before he started here he worked in Saltash.

A bit like ringing your bank and speaking to Mike from Fallowfield who sounds supsicially like they are from Bombay........
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigfield wrote:
Well my mate toby has given me a update

I really am sorry if I got it wrong. I genuinely thought that the TomTom's gave a toll bridge warning and avoided it if requested. From what you have provided me with I think is evidence enough that I was mistaken. For this I must apologize.{SNIP}

With Kind Regards,

Toby

The TomTom Customer Care Team
THOUGHT? Does this mean the Customer Care Team is made up of people who reply to emails and phone calls with absolutely no training or knowledge and who make their own ideas up as they go along? He's actually correct, of course, so why does he apologise for that?

He deserves some cruelty, though... For lying about Saltash to Exeter and for not doing a demo route himself to test it.

I was tempted to try it again myself today - I went to Truro - but decided not to take on the extra mileage of the Plymouth route rather than the A30.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say to him that i was not happy with what he said,I said he shouldn't of sent me a email without checking out the route,That was a short nice version Laughing
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
didn't somebody post here that the Forth Road Bridge no longer is toll, but it's still a toll road in TT maps?

That be me DennisN. I have reported that directly Wink to Tomtom several months ago now, but it is still incorrect on the latest v8.30 map. All toll roads in Scotland were abolished some time ago now.

iPhone 12
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually the last person to come to the defense of TT tech support team but I think some of you guys are being hard on this chap. Yes he used supposition when he should have checked the issue but the people I've dealt with before are battery hens and don't even know or have an interest in the product. The definition of a McJob.

The one thing that has always REALLY wound me up about Tom Tom support people has been the arrogance. When they messed up my traffic subscription I was ready to navigate to Holland and perform acts of immense violence on the guy I dealt with because he wouldn't listen, read mails properly or worst of all, offer any kind of apology when it became blindingly obvious he was SO wrong. if a new generation of tech support have Toby's approach then I herald the change. Let's face it, the next time he is asked this question he'll give somebody the correct answer....politely and with a degree of humbleness if he it up.

And why does everyone doubt his claims over residence and commuting to work or am I missing the point here due to a lack of local road knowledge?
Holux GPSslim
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jimbo. He applied some of his own knowledge and didn't stick to script. Given the map has two entrances to the toll, and one is wrong the other right, he may travel along the one that is right. But it implies he actually uses the device, and is trying to help actively.

Give him a break - we need more like him.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
And why does everyone doubt his claims over residence and commuting to work or am I missing the point here due to a lack of local road knowledge?

A - He said he's from Exeter and used to work in Saltash. Saltash is just across the Tamar Toll Bridge from Plymouth on the A38, there isn't another bridge, so there should be absolutely no doubt in his mind about the existence or otherwise of the toll and the possibility of its avoidance or otherwise. If he lived in Exeter and worked in Saltash, there's no way he could get to or from Saltash without going through the tollbooths in one direction (homeward) and if he selected Avoid Tolls, he would HAVE to be rerouted north 10 miles, NOT across a tollfree part of the bridge, because there isn't a tollfree part of the bridge. Wigfield selected Avoid Tolls and it took him via the toll!

B - He said nav between Exeter and Plymouth - they are both the same side of the bridge so the toll doesn't come into any navigational route. Saltash and Plymouth are separated by the bridge.

What we are saying is he suggested that you select Avoid Channel Ferry to get from London to Dover, when the question was travel between London and Paris.

That second entrance to the toll is pretty obscure if you're a through traveller - I've been that way many times and never realised it. I've always thought that extra deck wing outside the bridge stanchions was a service road like they have on the Severn Bridge, only accessible to the highway/bridge authority. It's only been this query that has shown me it's public (but NOT toll free).

wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dennis 1&2 are bang on,Also did he really live in exeter and work in saltash,Its quite a distance for a job,I know people near plymouth who use to go to work in sidmouth,But to me saltash seems a bit to far,Yes i do know some people do have to travel far but i really dont think this guy did.

Actually he said he now works in exeter,Has tomtom go a office in exeter? Ive never heared of one,Maybe i should go and see him Laughing

Does anyone know if tomtom have a office in exeter?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigfield wrote:
Actually he said he now works in exeter,Has tomtom go a office in exeter? Ive never heared of one,Maybe i should go and see him Laughing

Not quite. He makes three statements which might be misunderstood to mean what you say, but I don't think so.

1. I am from Exeter. That's same as me - from Yorkshire - doesn't mean I still live there, just might fool you into thinking I know everything there is to know about God's Own County.

2. Before I started here. That's work here at TomTom, doesn't actually say it's in Exeter - he could be on a sabbatical, backpacking round the world and stopped off in Timbuctoo to spend time with TT helpdesk to replenish his world tour fund.

3. I worked at Saltash. Doesn't actually say he commuted to Saltash from Exeter. Mind you, there are a lot of commuters who would love to have a mere 48 mile journey!

However, let's celebrate the fact that he's referred it onward and upward. He could have done with my pictures to refer to. Let's hope his word carries more weight with TeleAtlas than ours do.

wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O i see what he could of meant now Smile

I did send the pictures over to him Smile

Cheers for that Wink
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the absence of a new navcore to moan about it's good to see that us lot have decided to turn the forum into a Murder Mystery Weekend package Laughing

Keeps us out of trouble. We have some regular Miss Marples on here. Entertaining stuff.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: