Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - South Wales Police hope beanbag mounts will cut satnav crime
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

South Wales Police hope beanbag mounts will cut satnav crime
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: South Wales Police hope beanbag mounts will cut satnav crime Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comPolice officers in Cardiff are handing out beanbag satnav mounts to motorists in a bid to cut car crime.

They hope the beanbag mounts will encourage motorists to become more security conscious and removes the tell tale marks left behind on the windscreen by the more commonly used mounts.

With each beanbag mount costing £20 this isn't a cheap exercise but with funding has been obtained from the 'Safer Capital Partnership' to purchase 60 of the Nav-Mat mounts.

“Early indications are encouraging in terms of the take-up of the beanbags” said Chief Insp Morgan. Hardly surprising that most people say yes when offered a £20 mount for free.

Whether this is actually an effective way of reducing car-crime and specifically satnav theft remains to be seen but top marks to South Wales Police for trying a new angle.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: South Wales Police hope beanbag mounts to cut satnav cri Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
“Early indications are encouraging in terms of the take-up of the beanbags” said Chief Insp Morgan. Hardly surprising that most people say yes when offered a £20 mount for free.

Hardly suprising! However my wife has used the GARMIN beanbag mount with her nuvi 310 since she got it. Didn't wan't to spoil her new car Rolling Eyes

It works very well indeed and packs away into the glove compartment when not in use. Rock solid on the dash and doesn't slide. If anyone gets offered one - take it!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the one shown for my birthday! works well but not sure if it will cut crime. it's too big to fit in my glove box so removal is now twice as long - take out the beanbag/sucker from dash, open bot, place in boot. whereas teh sucker would just fit in the glovebox...

'spose it get's rid of the tell-tale sucker sign!

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all it takes now is for me to get a delivery to Cardiff tomorrow, for you to let me have the coordinates of where the man with the bagga beanbags is standing, for him to still have some left and for him to give me THREE for all my devices. Sorted!! Thumbs Up

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i forgot to mention, the one i have the rim goes all the way round so the standard tomtom mount doesn't fit... had to go out and get a new mount, a nice arkon one, that was lon enough, and would angle enough to both fit and be useable in the new position!

ditto for the garmin, but i got the arkon for the garmin cos my old one melted in the sun last year!!

MaFt
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
oh, i forgot to mention, the one i have the rim goes all the way round so the standard tomtom mount doesn't fit... had to go out and get a new mount, a nice arkon one, that was lon enough, and would angle enough to both fit and be useable in the new position!

ditto for the garmin, but i got the arkon for the garmin cos my old one melted in the sun last year!!

MaFt

I was just going to mention that as you are unable to get a proper tilt on your tomtom with that mount( full circle using your existing mount) !!

Got a beanbag and mount( arkon) from blueunpluged I believe Darren reviewed on this site and works well
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: South Wales Police hope beanbag mounts will cut satnav c Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Police officers in Cardiff are handing out beanbag satnav mounts to motorists in a bid to cut car crime.
How safe are these in the event of an accident (or even very heavy braking)?

I'm not sure that I would want a satnav flying through the air at me were I ever unfortunate enough to roll my car (or even, as I said, under very heavy braking). At least a windscreen mount would damp the motion of the satnav somewhat ...

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're surprisingly stable and secure. Very popular in the US, the land of the law suit so you can be fairly certain that they aren't a safety issue.

Having said that, if you roll then a loose satnav is the least of your issues.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it would only 'fly at you' if you engaged in heavy braking whilst travelling in reverse?
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used one a few times and you end up taking it off the dash and popping it down in the passenger footwell with the satnav still attached, depends if thieves check the footwells??
Cursor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by Cursor on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cursor wrote:
Is the one linked to in the first post suitable for Tomtom x30 series?

you would need a decent mount that has some length to get 'over' the edge of the beanbag. i'd recomend a good arkon one.

MaFt
Cursor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, found out that one won't fit, there's another version that will though.
scarsdale037
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Alternative to beanbag security Reply with quote

I stuck a strip of heavy duty Velcro to the back on a TomTom Version One and it stays put on my dashboard. Velour on the TT and hooks on the dash. Easy to remove, but it does leave an unsightly black strip on the fascia - but mines black anyhow so I don't get any complaints from you know who... (Even better if you have a Citroen Picasso, it stays propped up on top of the steering wheel, as there is no instrument panel in front of the driver.)
BrianR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I don't go near South Wales, where can I get a bean bag mount for my Garmion 310?

Looks like a good solution to a dirty windscreen!

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: