Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - McGuider v TomTom on N95 8Gb
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

McGuider v TomTom on N95 8Gb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: McGuider v TomTom on N95 8Gb Reply with quote

Route construction:-

sample route Brentwood, Essex (UK) to Poitiers (France)

TomTom: from start to display of route 35 secs

McGuider
computing a route 1min 15 secs
reconstructing route 3 min 40 secs
enumerating junctions 10 secs

total from start to display of route 5mins 05 secs !!!!!!

Have queried this with Sygic and await some answers

Maps obviously more up to date with McGuider

Happy with TomTom in use, haven't used McGuider in earnest yet and maybe wont be unless obvious bugs are fixed.

TomTom Navigator6: app 6.020 (8300) maps 9Western Europe v675.1409
McGuider 2009: ver 7.7 (1458D) map version 7.8
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give details of the "obvious bugs"? I'd got the impression that the latest release had sorted things out?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious bug No. 1. (acknowledged by Sygic) Deleting Favorites does not work. They are said to be diasabled but remain.

Possible bug No. 2. Slow route construction. Admittedly the sample route given crosses the English Channel which you don't need a route for (!) but TomTom can mange the problem in 35 secs and Sygic in 5 mins. May not be a bug as such but it's sure not very good. Possibly brought about because in McG all the country maps are in separate files. It may well be case that any cross boredr route may experience similar long route construction. I will try sample routes to compare.

Sygic did suggest the route construction was not a problem on a Windows mobile platform, only Symbian which suggests a bug doesn't it?
Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further cross border route construction sample:-

Calais (France) to Sienna (Italy)

TomTom 45 secs
McGuider 6 mins 35secs !!!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have TT to compare against but a route from somewhere near Bury St Edmunds to Paris city centre took just over 90 seconds on my Touch HD (Windows Mobile 6.1)
therm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm returning my copy of McGuider today. I had it installed on my HTC Touch HD and I've had a lot of problems from the start e.g, can't lock onto the satellite, when I go off route it keeps asking me to return to the original route instead of re-routing, whole roads missing! and the latest was it telling me my licence had expired and when I entered my product code in when it prompted me for it it then told me it was not a valid code and was for the stand alone version.

I'm flying to the Czech Rebuplic tomorrow and bought it for the trip and to guide me whilst driving. Looks like it's going to be paper maps until I get back and then I'll buy the new TomTom Navigator 7.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which whole roads missing are you talking about? The maps used by McGuider are TeleAtlas from approx July 2008 and at the time of release were some of the most up to date available.

I've have had it installed on my Touch HD using stock firmware since I got the phone in January without any major problems. It gets satellite lock quickly and always re-routes (sometimes this may be back on towards the original route and other times its a totally new route).

The licence problem suggests the licence file has become corrupt but a chat to TeleAtlas or Sygic should support it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: