Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Im confused again,Is mapshare free all the time or 12months
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Im confused again,Is mapshare free all the time or 12months
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Im confused again,Is mapshare free all the time or 12months Reply with quote

Ive read so many people talking about buying maps and then saying at least you get maps share free for 12months,I thought it was totally free?
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mapshare updates are free all the time.

Lots on here don't use them mind as say they are not reliable.
Got my settings up as highest, accept only TT, but even that is not fault free i don't suppose.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapshare is free, map updates cost!
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first installed Home and got my 730 fired up for the first time in January, Home asked if I wanted to join or share (or something like that) with map share or map share community (or something like that), when I clicked on YES then a box came up that indicated that I would now receive free map updates or map share updates (or something like that) for one year. This might be what the original poster might be also referring to. Since map share seems to be free and ongoing I don't know what the message Home gave me was supposed to mean. I obviously don't remember the wording of the original messages and I have never seen anything referring to them since.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my GO920T on 28th December 2007. Everybody gets the message about free updates and it's just part of the TT Mapshare hype. If you join the "Mapshare Community", when you connect to Home any "corrections" which you make on your map are collected by TomTom. The hype says that's to be shared with other users. What is for sure is that TT get information about map errors from a whole wide group of surveyors - you. It still works on mine after 17 months, although I don't ever download any of them because I don't trust them.

If you think about it, why would TomTom not continue to let you use it, when they are getting free information? It's a far better bargain from their side than yours. The information you get downloaded is never any re-drawing of the map, just minor labelling stuff like street names, speed limits, no turns and so on. I don't care what all the TomTom apologists say, it doesn't fulfill the hype - you'll never download a new road, roundabout or junction into your map, so the pitch that you'll always be up to date is a myth. And the sharing is only across identical maps - your corrections on the UK & ROI map do not get passed down to my Western & Central Europe map, my corrections to my W & CE map do not get passed down to anybody's Western Europe map. Just as bad, most of your corrections will be lost to you when you buy a new map and you'll have to input them all over again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember when the mapshare system started, that it was only valid for a year then stopped if you didn't purchase a new map, or am I thinking of something else?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your memory is fine - it said you get free mapshare corrections for a year (but it didn't actually say the system would need to be subscribed or anything thereafter).

I'd guess that when they first came up with the idea that was what they intended. A nice little earner like cameras and traffic. But reality proved (again) beyond them, probably too much hassle to get the system right (because, frankly, for the user, it really is all mouth and no trousers) and they were onto too much of a good thing, getting free map checking reports, to stop it. It's like those store loyalty cards except you don't even get points! How often did anybody ever report map errors to them or TeleAtlas before they brought out this mapshare thing? Bear in mind they have also introduced a schedule of new maps roughly every quarter and you can see that those who are believers in Mapshare are also the ones most likely to buy new maps. If I was any good at searching, I'd be able to look back in history and find my post where I predicted months ago that it would go on forever, but I'm not, so I can't - just believe me, I'm a whitevanman! It's possible that a new map may generate an automatic invitation to join up, I think maybe mine did last week.

On reflection, do we know anybody who has owned a device for more than a year and has not bought a new map and has been told his Mapshare service has expired? Maybe I'm wrong and it does expire after a year. Confused

wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

I didn't thing it was just for 12 months Smile
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12 month limit is because TT don't want to be forced to support & maintain lots of different versions of the maps, particularly whne most users have moved on to newer versions. I don't know whether they have actually done it yet, but I suspect they could easily decide not to issue any updates for the older releases.

Dennis has always been very negative about receiving the mapshare updates following a couple of high profile errors shortly after it was introduced. It seems to have been quite a long time since any incorrect amendments have been reported in these forums, so perhaps the situation has improved.

Additionally, I know that 2 new roundabouts I reported in the v825 maps wer already available as a mapshare update to the v830 maps as soon as I downloaded them last week. Of course, somebody else may have reported them in the couple of days since the maps were released, but I suspect that they are now carried forward from one version to another.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/page/mapshare

says 12months on the faq.

You can no doubt make changes on your own system but it wont upload or download by the looks of things.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

On reflection, do we know anybody who has owned a device for more than a year and has not bought a new map and has been told his Mapshare service has expired? Maybe I'm wrong and it does expire after a year. Confused

I have a version 675 map and have just selected it and connected to home. I am offered mapshare updates for this map. I think that this was the first map version to support mapshare? It's certainly more than 12 months old.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
You can no doubt make changes on your own system but it wont upload or download by the looks of things.
I do make changes when I'm bothered for myself and I do allow them to upload - they uploaded yesterday when I downloaded the latest application.
pcaoulte wrote:
I have a version 675 map and have just selected it and connected to home. I am offered mapshare updates for this map. I think that this was the first map version to support mapshare? It's certainly more than 12 months old.
That's astonishing. Map 675 is April 2007, was introduced with the x10 range and certainly didn't have Mapshare, which was introduced with the GOx20 range, which came with map 705 I believe. Is this because you have v7 or v8 Navcore?
Daggers wrote:
Dennis has always been very negative about receiving the mapshare updates following a couple of high profile errors shortly after it was introduced. It seems to have been quite a long time since any incorrect amendments have been reported in these forums, so perhaps the situation has improved.
Guilty, M'lud. But there have been more recent instances - the M40 at J15 Warwick was very persistent and there have been numerous others with weird impassable roads or sections causing navigation problems. It is possible that just one malicious closure or one way correction could send us all over the place, because there is very little evidence that TomTom engage in proper verification. And yet there is also little evidence that they react to many submissions - I have been reporting since 2006 that the roundabout they introduced at 51.452241, -2.418429 (on the busy A420 commuter route, not a back alley) does not exist and has never existed, first via the old methods to both TeleAtlas and TomTom, then ever since my first 720 in August 2007 and with every device and every map I've bought since then, via MapShare - I've had seven 720s, a 920 and a 730, so that's quite a few reports of that fault (every one of them registered with different email addresses so I was nine different owners reporting the same fault).

pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

pcaoulte wrote:
That's astonishing. Map 675 is April 2007, was introduced with the x10 range and certainly didn't have Mapshare, which was introduced with the GOx20 range, which came with map 705 I believe. Is this because you have v7 or v8 Navcore?

The map is on a GO510 running the latest Navcore for that device 7.903.
My GO510, purchased December 2006, came with an earlier map version (660 I think) and no mapshare. Mapshare was a feature added by purchasing a map upgrade to version 675 (along with a free software upgrade). You are correct that this would have been around April 2007.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that Mapshare was introduced with v7 Navcore, and v675 maps for some of the older TT models. I think it went on the new x20 models first, which had the v705 maps. Following this the v7 Navcore was released for the x00 & x10 models and Mapshare worked with the v675 maps.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I updated my GO700 to App 7.903 (it has map 675) and then joined Mapshare, reduced security level to Low and it offered me 10.4Mb of map corrections. I declined them all, but it did offer them, so you were right. Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: