Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bike Mount - nice one Satmap!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bike Mount - nice one Satmap!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Bike Mount - nice one Satmap! Reply with quote

I bought the Active 10 bike mount as part of my Active 10 bundle - this week-end I decided to fix it to my bike as my cycling season is just starting (I know - I'm just a soft warm weather cyclist!)

I would like to put on record what a really good design the mount is .

It's solid and very simple. It can be mounted on a handlebar (as for most other things you put on a bike) but the head of the mount can be turned through 90deg to allow it to be mounted on the riser tube (if you have one) which places it right at the centre of the bar and makes it very easy to read and use whilst cycling. You could even mount it on the cross-bar if you wanted to - but it would be less useable in that position.

You have to fit a different battery cover on your Active10 as it incorporates the locking mount - but it's not a major problem and I think I will leave it on for now.

Well done SatMap!
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed very robust design, I'm buying another clamp to fit to my motor bike.

John
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fits all different diameters of tubes as well.

It even fitted on the main tube of my Brompton.

Ian
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree as well. Just purchased one a week ago and mounted it on the riser tube of my MTB. Brilliant, rock solid even going full pelt along gravelly forest tracks and over tree roots. It even stayed on when I erm...came off! Fortunately rider, MTB and Satmap still in one piece. Made a nice change from using it for hiking and just as useful.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an aside - (apologies if it's been mentioned before -I've done a quick search, and can't see a mention), - I assume everybody is aware that the mount is a poshed up Rixen Kaul klickfix mount. You can get a mini klickfix for about half the price of a Satmap one. Obviously, you need the original Satmap one first off, to get the modified battery cover, but, if like me, you then need another three for various bikes - it's worth thinking about. Agreed the Satmap one can be changed over, but I'd rather be riding my bike! And yes, the Satmap one will go round oversize tubes, but for stem or bar mounting, the R&K ones are fine

Rick
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickwiggans wrote:
I assume everybody is aware that the mount is a poshed up Rixen Kaul klickfix mount

Yes...I have already discovered that I can store my Active 10 under my saddle of the winter bke if I remove the seat pack....not the optimum viewing position...but if it saves £12!?? Laughing
Soldado
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickwiggans wrote:
I assume everybody is aware that the mount is a poshed up Rixen Kaul klickfix mount.

Rick

I wasn't, but am now, but can you put a link up to one of these, I can't find it anywhere, googling just brings up pannier, bar bag and basket mounts?

Thanks.
Golgotha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done some serious off-road biking using mine too and it is rock solid. However, I have had problems with the construction of mine. The metal barrel and the plastic strap guide have both fallen out of the body of the mount. That said, once put back together and tightened it works just as well. Pricey but well worth having.

Thanks for the Rixen Kaul klickfix tip. Ideal for my 2nd bike....
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I got mine
http://www.hikebikeandride.com/Products/ViewProduct.aspx?Product=1360

Cheers

Rick
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount is a ABUS TEXKF MINI BRACKET
This has a fabric strap, the Kaul has a metal strap
see http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=10056&categoryID=512 or your local bike shop
RRP is £13.69 not much less than Satmap at £14.99.
I perfer to use the fabric strap to prevent damage to the bike and provide a better grip
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was six quid. However, yer pays yer money and makes yer choice

Rick
MLank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been so impressed/lucky with the mount. Before putting it on the bike I put the strap through the part that it locks too, then needed to undo it to put on the bike. Turning the cylinder anti-clockwise as suggested in the instructions, this required a lot of force and caused the plastic part through which the strap goes to break, rendering the mount useless.

I guess once fixed it has to be a permanent fixing, which is what Satmap are hinting at on the website when they say 'These bike mounts are rock solid once attached, and can be a bit time consuming to swap between bikes. '

For 'a bit time consuming' read 'liable to break'!
johnjackson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLank wrote:
. Turning the cylinder anti-clockwise as suggested in the instructions, this required a lot of force and caused the plastic part through which the strap goes to break, rendering the mount useless.

I have removed mine several times. If you look closely at the allen bolt, there is a little arrow and another mark on the casing. If you line these up, its easy to pull the strap though by pulling the mount away from the bars.
MLank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnjackson wrote:
MLank wrote:
. Turning the cylinder anti-clockwise as suggested in the instructions, this required a lot of force and caused the plastic part through which the strap goes to break, rendering the mount useless.

I have removed mine several times. If you look closely at the allen bolt, there is a little arrow and another mark on the casing. If you line these up, its easy to pull the strap though by pulling the mount away from the bars.

Thank you for that advice, shame it does not say that in the instructions.
wphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bike Mount - nice one Satmap! Reply with quote

A word of caution there is a downside to the robust bike mount. Personally I don't like the fact that its design sits the Active 10 so up in the air in a prominent position. I have gone over the handlebars twice with my knee trying to take the A10 with it. What happens is the weakest link has to give and this is the attachement of the back cover. The cover bends as you try to lift the A10 from the bottom utill the little 'tag' releases resulting in the cover bending about the secure turn buckle holding the top of the back cover in place untill in my case the LiIon battery ends up dangling by its wires and you have a bent back cover.

I'd prefer a lower profile mount making the A10 less vulnerable in the first place and seconding perhaps a weak link in the mount that would fail first, ideally something releasable under high loads but something that breaks would be preferable to breaking the A10 back or loosing the battery or connection when it might be that the A10 would be useful to help get yourself rescued. On the latter point note the 'story' on the satmap website about the motorcyclist that was able to help get himself aid using his satmap after crashing off road - it says he had to retrieve the batteries first! Supposing he couldn't move or find them!

I've been considering trying to use the standard back and bolt something to it to use a lower profile mount. Anyone got any ideas or already looked into this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: