Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap or 400t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap or 400t

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Satmap or 400t Reply with quote

Hi All

Just come back from a recent holiday in the Lake District and while I was there I decided to buy a handheld GPS. I looked at the Satmap 10 and the sales guy put me off of that and put me onto a Garmin product. He said the Satmap wasn't 'man enough' for the job. In the end I went with his advice and bought the Garmin 400t. Although it is ok (I did also purchase the OS Lakes card) I wonder if the Satmap would have been a better buy.

I was disappointed in that the 400t doesn't follow paths but it looked as though the Satmap did.

Anyone have any ideas as to the better one? The sales guy did seem to know his stuff and had used them all. Is it perhaps a matter of personal preference?

Peter
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Satmap doesn't have any kind of routing capability, if that is what you are after. You create a route, either on your PC or on the Satmap itself, and then the "you are here" marker will enable you to follow the track.

What was it about the Satmap that the sales guy put you off with? Yes - there are differences, and yes, there are personal preferences, but I'm pretty sure that "not man enough for the job" isn't a valid reason!

I use both Satmap and Garmins, (but not the one you mention) and definitley, at first preferred my Garmin - probably familiarity, but now I'm used to it, find that the Satmap is generally my preferred device. Yes it has a few issues, but overall, it is an excellent piece of kit - and seems very robust.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salesman was talking codswallop. Garmin are hardy and so is the Satmap. They have many differences but describing it as not man enough is complete rubbish.
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The salesman did dismiss the Satmap as not rugged and seemed to dismiss it with a wave of his arm, and for what he said appeared expensive. I was disappointed as I liked the look of it. I'd been thinking about buying a handheld PND for some time and walking around the lakes etc. prompted me to have a closer look at them.

In hindsight and with buying on impulse without checking reviews here first (I was on holiday) I went with his advice. Looking at the shop display of the Satmap it did look as though it set a route via paths - but obviously not.

But I am happy with the Garmin and it doubles as a PND for the roads as well.

Peter

Garmin 400t
TomTom910
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausage27 wrote:
But I am happy with the Garmin

And that is at the end of the day the important bit. You haven't been sold a pup!
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausage27 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The salesman did dismiss the Satmap as not rugged and seemed to dismiss it with a wave of his arm, and for what he said appeared expensive.

First thing is never trust a salesman, the clue is in their job title!

Secondly how can the Satmap appear expensive when it is cheaper than the Garmin? Confused
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barny_100 wrote:
Secondly how can the Satmap appear expensive when it is cheaper than the Garmin? Confused

Cos he said the maps covered a smaller area thus costing more for the same area as the Garmin.

Peter
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausage27 wrote:
barny_100 wrote:

Cos he said the maps covered a smaller area thus costing more for the same area as the Garmin.

Peter

Like I say, salesmen are not to be trusted! Amusingly I don't think he could have got it any more wrong if he had tried seeing as both hardware and maps are more expensive with the Garmin Laughing

The Garmin only has National Parks & Trails covered at £130 each. A10 maps for those are £80-100 plus it covers all of UK + more of Europe every week it seems!

EDIT: Just thought you should tell people what shop this was at so they are warned...
jjb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure but I was told by one retailer that the margins on Satmap was not as great as some other GPS manufacturers.

Could this be the reason for the advice given Question
themib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Garmin etrex vista, which I used on my mountainbuke, planned routes on it, it sent me on my planned route perfectly, downside was I needed a map as well as even though I knew where I was on my planned route, I had no clue where I was on an OS map.

Now got Satmap. Perfect OS map on screen. pin point my position on an os map to 20 feet if on bike or jogging.
Downside is the onboard indicator arrow for aproaching turn is pathetic compared to the Garmin, but overall the satmap wins handsdown for me. I will buy garmin for car and motorcycle, but the Satmap is wow factor for me, its the OS maps on a clear big screen.
PC us is OK.
The satmap online routeplanner is pants, us quo to review my days route, havent planned a rout yet and uploaded it apart from the satmap site, whicheworked, download didnt
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjb wrote:
Not 100% sure but I was told by one retailer that the margins on Satmap was not as great as some other GPS manufacturers.

Could this be the reason for the advice given Question

Well, could be. I have to say, the salesman did seem very knowledgeable and had said he'd tried them all. I did ask him what one would he buy - he said the 400t (if he could afford it), which perhaps doesn't prove a thing!

The shop was Gaynor Sports in Ambleside.

Peter

Garmin Oregon 400t
TomTom 910
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering now whether to sell the 400t and buy the Setmap. Having the OS maps where I live in Oxfordshire would be handy. Nothing like that on the Garmin.

Gonna lose a bit of money though but may gain in time with cheaper maps.

Peter
nicka7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting…

I was in Gaynor Sports over Easter spending far too much money on hiking gear once again!

I overheard a sales assistant giving advice to a customer regarding GPS devices; in particular about the Satmap which the customer was interested in.

It was clear from the snipits of conversation I overheard that assistant knew little about the actual functioning of the Satmap device and in fact some of the advice being given was plainly wrong. I doubt whether the sales assistant had actually tried using a Satmap as he would have known more about it if he had.

This was at a complete contrast to the previous Easter when I was enquiring about GPS devices at the shop when the sales assistant at that time was fantastic and very knowledgeable about both the Garmins and the Satmap.

I should just point out that Gaynor Sports is my most favorite hiking gear shop in the Lakes!!

Nick
sausage27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it had loads of stuff there. It was the only shop I'd come across that had a large selection of GPS but funnily enough they don't sell the maps.

I had to buy the Lake District Discoverer map from Cotswold in Keswick.

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: