Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i Why does it "Ching" at me all the time? + oth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i Why does it "Ching" at me all the time? + oth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonkbike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: S90i Why does it "Ching" at me all the time? + oth Reply with quote

Bought this in PC World Jan sale as it was down to £80. Expensive bargain so far if you just want simple point-to-point navigation. TMC is a big let-down - reception around M4/M25/M11 is rubbish; when it does report a problem it's way out of date. Friday 20/2 when M25 was stationary for 5 junctions it took me off for the first and then tried to put me back on for the second. However, here's the real reasons for post:

When I have the TMC arial plugged in, the unit sometimes starts to issue a really annoying alert "Ching!" every 10 secs but it won't tell me why it's doing it or what it's trying to tell me. I usually switch the sound off and then miss my turning / speed camera alert.

Secondly, every time I want to Bluetooth connect my phone (old Nokia) I have to go through the full pairing process. Switch S90 off & when I switch on again I can no longer just {connect} I have to pair all over again - not very hands-free. What's really annoying is that after pairing it tells me to set my phone to connect automatically!
Anyone else sorted this stuff out?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: S90i Why does it "Ching" at me all the time? + Reply with quote

simonkbike wrote:
When I have the TMC arial plugged in, the unit sometimes starts to issue a really annoying alert "Ching!" every 10 secs but it won't tell me why it's doing it or what it's trying to tell me.

Have you updated unit's software since you purchased it?

simonkbike wrote:
Switch S90 off & when I switch on again I can no longer just {connect} I have to pair all over again

Don't turn it off (long press on power button) just put it in suspend mode (short press on power button). If your unit is reloading maps on start up that means it's been turned off and you'll have to pair again; if it just starts where you left of last time then you shouldn't need to pair again.
simonkbike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I haven't updated the software deliberately. It might have done an update when I first installed and registered but I honestly can't remember.
I've seen the SP2 download on the Navman site, but as that is dated April 08 I'd assumed my brand-new unit is up-to-date.
In the About Navman in prefs I have:
SmartST 2008
Build 5.00.0104 (2007-09-10T23:40:41)
On startup I get:
S90i.v1.00.0018
Do I need to install SP2? (Or alternatively un-install it?)

Using suspend seems to sort out the phone pairing but does it draw power while in suspend mode? We tend to have periods of a week or more with no usage and then intensive usage for a week. I know my laptop in suspend will run out of juice in 24hrs and will eventually lose everything.

S.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonkbike wrote:
I've seen the SP2 download on the Navman site, but as that is dated April 08 I'd assumed my brand-new unit is up-to-date.

You never know how long that unit was sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and I'm not even sure if they bother sending the latest SP to the factory since units get automatically updated first time you connect them to PC.

simonkbike wrote:
Build 5.00.0104 (2007-09-10T23:40:41)

I think that's SP1. Not sure what SP2 version number is but pretty sure it starts with 5.10. And I heard somewhere that if you buy map upgrade DVD to 2008 maps you get even later version (5.50?) which is not just SP but has feature upgrades (not 100% on this one though).

simonkbike wrote:
Using suspend seems to sort out the phone pairing but does it draw power while in suspend mode? We tend to have periods of a week or more with no usage and then intensive usage for a week. I know my laptop in suspend will run out of juice in 24hrs and will eventually lose everything.

Yes, it will use power but I would imagine that fully charged unit should last at least a few days in suspend mode. So, if you know you won't needed if for several days then turn it off, if you suspect you might need it just suspend it.
Sipc08091973
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there, the ching also sent me crazy, but here is the answer, go into the settings of the traffic and only notify me of issues on my routem this will stop the "ching" as if you have notify all the "ching" is telling you there's problems nearby and not always on the route your on. Have fun !
Si

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: