Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archersgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Geo-Geo

Happy to help. I've already notified TomTom on two occasions as to this error and asked them to include my fix on their knowledge base. I've also asked them to correct their javascript on the Home software to either write their files to somewhere more generic eg c:\temp or to "hunt down" the users My Documents location from the registry and to write there instead. That being the 'true' root cause fix for this issue.

I'm hopful that they will do both and help out large numbers of their userbase by doing so.

Anyway, I posted the fix so that anybody Googling the error message would hopefully find my post, and resolve their issue as a result. I'm glad you've got it working.
Geo-geo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> to archersgreen

It seems that Tom-tom is not very fast at taking your remarks and fix into account ! I wonder if they have event taken it into account (?).
It has been a very good (and kind) idea to post it.
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it appears that this is the problem I've been experiencing too, ie my 'documents' folder isn't in the default location - will check it later...
phantomlynx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archersgreen wrote:
Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nslProperties.get]

This is a problem that involves the Vista OS only, although the problem is due to the TT Home software. It exists when your My Documents ISN'T the Vista default location of C:\Users\*username*\Documents. My own "My Docs" was set to Drive D and I too had the error until I changed it back to C:\Users\*username*\Documents when updating my TT.

Prior to launching TT Home, you should ensure that your My Documents is mapped (albeit temporarily whilst you update) to

C:\Users\*username*\Documents

There is no need to move your docs back to this location, just ensure that My docs is pointing at it. You can point it back to your documents true location aftwards.

I've fixed several of these problems and never had a failure with the above method.

Good luck.

This worked for me... thank you. Is there any more permanent solution?
timbof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing my 'documents' folder location back to the default didn't work... guessing a combination of Vista problems and TT problems at work here. Thinking of installing the Windows 7 RC, anyone tried Home on that?
Reynger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know the bananas exchange rate??????????? Reply with quote

A Sunday rant:

Our One XL came with UK & Western European mapping and UK safety camera database. The software started life as TomTom Home 1.5.106.

Some time later, when connecting to the TomTom website, I was asked to download a new version of Home, otherwise it would not be possible to download and install the latest maps.

So I downloaded TomTom Home 2.5.2.60 and it installed itself.

It also, obligingly, wiped out the existing safety camera database.

Yesterday I made the Serious Mistake of yet again opening TomTom Home and received a message:

"A new version of TomTom HOME is avilable: 2.6.2.1586. Do you want to install the new version now?"

Of course, only an idiot would say "yes" but I'm an idiot.

So it downloaded and partially installed 2.6.2.1586 and rendered both that and the version it was replacing wholly inoperable: after "installation", a splash screen appeared saying "TomTom Home 2.6" and, er, absolutely nothing else.

No error messages. No warnings. Nothing. The "banner", according to process Manager, was "not responding". It never did.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 so the problems that seem to crop up with the Vista OS probably don't apply here.

But I'm also running out of time and patience with this appalling, incompetent, rip-off bunch of Dutch idiots who certainly rake in enough for what they provide yet continue to employ a tribe of purple-arsed monkeys to develop their software.

I have two tasks today. The first (because I stupidly didn't create a Restore Point prior to allowing TomTom to balls everything up again) is to re-install the original Home software because I've had to use Revo to wipe out every last bit of TomTom dross on my computer.

The next is to establish what the pay rate is on the bananas-to-Euros exchange.

I see no reason at all to pay TomTom anything for the latest Western European / UK maps except by parcel post in the form of however many bunches of Fyffes are necessary to keep TomTom's software division in the style to which it is accustomed in the trees where it is undoubtedly headquartered.

I'm thinking three bunches should be sufficient, the first of which will be entirely inedible, the second well past its sell-by date, and the third so unripe it won't even be possible to peel back a single one without a chainsaw.

Ends rant.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
techitrucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom customer service is crap Reply with quote

Talked to TomTom today and escalated seeing as how people have been having this problem for so many years with so many different versions of their product. Apparently, this is a generic code that is spit out whenever TomTom has no clue what went wrong so no one fix will work for everyone. To add insult to injury, they will not troubleshoot with a customer, they only want to deal with the log that errors out when the program tries to send it. Its no wander they don't think they have a problem. I for one find their customer service completely unacceptable and will give them no more of my money. The unit may be good but is utterly useless without regular access to updates. I'll find one from a nice American or Chinese company that still remembers customers keep them floating. The Europeans call us Americans ugly but my treatment by these yoyo's while trying to repair my 3 month old $600 brick was atrocious. The employee and supervisor would have been fired on this side of the pond. Evil or Very Mad Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: