Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW MAPS FOR TOM TOM (18 MAY)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW MAPS FOR TOM TOM (18 MAY)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just used TomTom Home to download and install Western and Central Europe 2GB, V830.2305, which is 1796 MB.

The process took a total of 01:27, 01:08 to download and 19 minutes to update the TomTom GO 730.

After I had downloaded the MapShare updates, the recent updates that I have submitted were still in place (two roundabouts) although the roundabouts did not appear on the map the unit did treat the roundabouts as being there with it's voice instructions.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
alanwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Udated UK+ROI map to v830.2305 but.......... Reply with quote

Updated my UK+ROI map to v830.2305 ok, but the installation has left me with some work to do.......

1) All my Favourites have been lost
2) Disabled Bluetooth
3) All Warn When Near POI sounds lost
4) Automatically ticked most of Show POI categories on map.

What a joke!

Alan
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to make the same point - I have lost all my favourites and all the mapshare changes I had sent in.
I have kept the map I had previously (825), so could someone please tell me which folders in the old map contain my favourites and mapshare changes, so that I can copy them across
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file that you have lost is mapsettings.cfg from the map folder. On some map upgrades due to changes the older file is incompatible with the newer map. I don't know for this upgrade as I am still downloading.

You could try copying back across and see if it works.

That is on reason why your most popular locations should be stored as a POI rather than a Favourite, so it is saved for future use.
Palm0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Not enough internal memory to install v8.30 Reply with quote

Palm0 wrote:
I have just tried to install the new v8.30 map (Western & Central Europe 2GB) but am finding I don't have enough available internal memory on my 720?

Is the new map much larger than v8.25? I have tried deleting things i.e. unneeded voices, cursors etc. but can't see anything else I can delete to gain enough space. I don't have any other non essential software installed.

Looking at my 720 as a drive on my computer it appears as follows (with map v8.25 removed):

Capacity = 1.91GB
Used = 175 MB
Free = 1.73 GB
New Map = 1.79 GB (1796.2 MB to be exact)

Any suggestions - anyone else having this problem?

Update:
Western & Central Europe_2GB
Map v8.15 = 1719.0MB
Map v8.25 = 1774.1MB
Map v8.30 = 1796.2MB

So the maps are getting much bigger each time - so how do I get this to fit on my device - this is really annoying as I am subscribing to the Map Upgrade Scheme and was recommended by TomTom to upgrade from the standard Western European to Western & Central Europe!

I do actually have a 4GB Memory Card but am running a different 'backed up' Navcore & Map Version which I know to be stable as a fallback.

Any Advice?

How come I seem to be the only one having problems 'fitting' this on my device? Does any one have any suggestions before I have to bite the bullet and ring tomtom up only to be told a load of rubbish!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The file that you have lost is mapsettings.cfg from the map folder. On some map upgrades due to changes the older file is incompatible with the newer map. I don't know for this upgrade as I am still downloading.

You could try copying back across and see if it works.

That is on reason why your most popular locations should be stored as a POI rather than a Favourite, so it is saved for future use.

Thanks MrT - they did copy across ok, so that's saved me a bit of work.
Lost all my mapshare changes though!

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to update the navcore to 8.350 before the new map (8.3) will work? I have been holding off due to the few problems people have been having.
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old maps, same old mistakes... If Navteq can get details like house numbers and turn restrictions on their maps then why do TT/Teleatlas find it so hard?

edit: although at least it is possible to navigate to Nottingham city centre now. Laughing
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Udated UK+ROI map to v830.2305 but.......... Reply with quote

alanwalker wrote:
Updated my UK+ROI map to v830.2305 ok, but the installation has left me with some work to do.......

1) All my Favourites have been lost
2) Disabled Bluetooth
3) All Warn When Near POI sounds lost
4) Automatically ticked most of Show POI categories on map.

What a joke!

Alan

yeah I found that out too rather quickly ,was wondering why my map was as jerky as a brick in a tumble dryer , soon as they were all unticked everything went nice and smooth ,did have a bit of concern when i pushed the reset button it got stuck on a dos like screen with all the info of the unit ,but once i hit the reset again all was well
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Not enough internal memory to install v8.30 Reply with quote

Palm0 wrote:
Does any one have any suggestions before I have to bite the bullet and ring tomtom up only to be told a load of rubbish!

Install the new map to the memory card it will work quite happily from there, otherwise you need to put the device on a diet, there are quite a number of files that you simply don't need, if you want to remove them make a full backup to the PC BEFORE you do anything else then delete the following from your device:

Open the "Voices" folder and remove everything except:

data04.chk
data04.vif
data05.chk
data05.vif

The above files are the UK Tim and Jane recorded voices, if you use any other recorded voices let me know which one before you remove the files.

Open the "Raster" folder and delete all the files, these are the images the device uses in Browse map when you zoom all the way out, they are of little use IMH.

Make sure the following folders are empty:

"mp3"
"photos"
"logging"
"audiobooks"
"screen" (if you have this folder)

The above should slim the device down with little impact upon use, you can allways add files back later from the backup, but I would suggest installing to the memory card is easier - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wazzzzupmate wrote:
Do I need to update the navcore to 8.350 before the new map (8.3) will work?

Yes you will need the 8,350 Navcore release installed for the new map - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Not enough internal memory to install v8.30 Reply with quote

Palm0 wrote:
How come I seem to be the only one having problems 'fitting' this on my device? Does any one have any suggestions before I have to bite the bullet and ring tomtom up only to be told a load of rubbish!

Swap over. Copy your "old" version off the 4GB card into your PC (as a backup), then delete from card and copy whatever is on your internal onto the 4GB card. Then connect to Home again and go for the update, only this time select the external card, not the internal memory when you go into Home. That'll give you enough room on the SD card to get the new map. I have to say I'm a teeny bit surprised you're getting this bother - recently TT seem to have cracked the space problem by overwriting most of the map as part of the download, without needing to create space.

The 720 wasn't really intended to have Western and Central Europe, just Western Europe. I think you might find TT denying they ever recommended W&CE to you - offered it, yes, recommended, no. They have happily offered (and taken the money for!!) it to devices which only had 1GB (or 512Mb) of internal memory and no SD card slot!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you with missing favourites following the update have a read of the FAQ page #15 (Click Here for the FAQ page) details what to do in order to convert the old MapSettings.cfg file to a custom POI file.
I intend to rewrite this guide later to bring it more upto date and hopefully easier to read - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, when you do rewrite your (excellent) write-up, you may wish to add the fact that Mac users apparently can achieve the same functionality as poiedit with an application called poiview
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with you all? Am I going to have to be the very first (this map) to report the download crashed after three hours? Evil or Very Mad

Edit Crashed after three hours at about 700Kbps on my "Up to 20Mb broadband". Grrr.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: