Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - positioning of mobile speed camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

positioning of mobile speed camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AHTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: positioning of mobile speed camera Reply with quote

Hi, could anybody tell me what the law or rule is for the positioning of a mobile speed camera.
I have been caught by one that was less than 10 meters away from the change in speed limit sign ( from 60 to 30), with the camera facing up the road i was traveling on.
I have looked in the highway code as to where you should alter your speed but i've been unable to find anything, however on the South Yorkshire Safety Camera Partnership website it sayes that 'speed should be modified at the start of speed limits'
If this is the case then are you supposed to jump on the brakes the minute you cross the line or do you slow down in a safe and controlled manner.

I was caught doing 41mph and i know that i had slowed down to 30 within about 150m.
any help please
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the rules for where camera vans should be located, 10m from a speed change does sound rather close. But the law on speed limits is clear. You are supposed to correct your speed so that it has dropped to the lower limit at or before the speed limit change.

There is no speed-up/slow-down leeway. Similarly when passing into a higher limit you should not accelerate until you pass the speed change signs
AHTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, it didn't help that the road in question the A5104 in Broughton Near Chester has a short stretch of dual carriageway that is curved before it drops to a single carriageway and a speed limit change.

If you look for it on google earth you will see what i mean.

Would it be worth a day in court?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the van was only 10m inside the limit, I don't see how it could have measured your speed other than whilst you were in the higher speed limit?

What does the NIP say?
AHTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front of the camera van was facing me as i went passed and the camera was pointing out of the back.

If you are able to look on google earth the van was parked on the grass next to the red patch on the road where the speed limit changes.

So it did get me in the 30 zone but i had slowed down by the time i got to the junction.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHTED wrote:
So it did get me in the 30 zone but i had slowed down by the time i got to the junction.

Like this?:

If so then I don't see that you have any defence based upon the position of the camera van. You should have been at 30mph or less by the time you entered the 30mph limit.

Given that you had passed the limit and the van before being snapped I'd accept the ticket and move on. What speed do they claim you were travelling at?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What speed do they claim you were travelling at?

AHTED wrote:
I was caught doing 41mph

Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah missed that! In which case I'd suggest you pay up. The positioning of th safety camera van is not an issue here as you were speeding, simple as that I'm afraid.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice while driving to get the car to be at the exact speed limit at the point you pass the sign, you should be able to do this without use of brakes unless its a steep downhill road. Once you get used to playing this little "game" while driving it becomes automatic and you don't even think about it, this might save you further fines and points - Mike
AHTED
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for help and advice.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Practice while driving to get the car to be at the exact speed limit at the point you pass the sign, you should be able to do this without use of brakes unless its a steep downhill road.

Try this when approaching London on the A40 near Ruislip.
The limit drops from 70 down to 50, very closely followed by a Monitron Camera (ID:54721).
If you are doing 70 and take your foot right off the gas pedal "at the sort of place you would normally do so when you saw a speed restriction" (your Honour...) it's still not enough... you need to actually brake.

I understand you should be doing the lower limit as you pass the sign, but this one's causing all sorts of bunching anddangerous late braking, so CANNOT be improving safety.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: