Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transport for London trial digital speed limiter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transport for London trial digital speed limiter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Transport for London trial digital speed limiter Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWe covered this project in March but a BBC News item covering it yesterday caught my eye.

Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) is a project being run by Transport for London (TfL). By collating data on speed limits throughout London they have created a digital speed 'map'.

TfL are now testing the data using a device installed on a London bus that will restrict the vehicle and prevent it from exceeding the posted speed limit. There is an override and the option of an advisory mode where speed is not physically restricted.

This is an interesting project and one can't help but envisage a point in the near future where every vehicle is limited in this way. With ever increasing congestion, the constant pressure on motorists and the increase in speed cameras, perhaps this is a solution that would lead to us all driving more safely.

Of course the flip side is that rather than increase safety it will result in everyone driving with their accelerator pressed into the carpet and travelling at the maximum permissible speed regardless of conditions?

The trial will be extended to a Taxi and some of TfL's own vehicles and already Southwark Council has expressed an interest in fitting the system to its fleet.

Let's hope the technology and hardware is rather more proficient than the Tomtom plug-in using this data that TfL offer, in our tests it singularly failed to launch on any of the supposedly supported device it was designed to run on!
gbrevern
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Why would they do this.....? Reply with quote

Wouldn't it disrupt their revenue stream if no-one got speeding fines ?
PTav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeding fines are so hard to collect - yet pension fund raiding ....
mike170469
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Same Speed Reply with quote

As everyone knows wagons are all ready liminted and you see one taking ages to pass another on the Motorway. This is because of the weight the loaded wagon slower up hill then faster downhill.

The same thing will happen if all cars do only 70 there will be times were one is slighty fast down to the weight and will try to overtake but find they are only able to go 1 or 2 MPH faster.

I see lots of problems ahead for this idea and there will be plenty off people that will find a way off disconectioning it
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we'll all go out and buy older car that maybe can't be adapted. That'll do loads for the good of the environment!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think it could work the other way as well - we all travel nose-to-tail along dedicated motorway lanes at 150mph in speed controlled vehicles.

Now, where's that 'pigs may fly' emoticon? Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about that?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll do.

Looks like it should say "FAIL" at the end. Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
cannt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they could always reduce the congestion charge. That would increase the volume of traffic which in turn reduces speed and improve pedestrian safety as very few people get run over by stationary vehicles.
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time is getting closer by the minute when we will have to have written permission from the government to use more than 2 pieces of toilet paper per sitting.. Evil or Very Mad they wont be happy until they have full control over each and every one of use !!!!

Makes my blood boil
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst probably not as relevant in slow moving London traffic if this is extended to the wider country it would make it very difficult to accelerate out of trouble. I've had a number of occasions where accelerating out of the way stopped me being involved in an accident but if I either have to think about pressing some sort of overide button or physically do not have the ability to accelerate then I would of been in quite a few accidents in my time.
pipme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been driving a French car for the past 18 months.
It has the usual 'cruise control'. BUT also an adjustable 'speed limiter'.
The limiter provides a noticeable detent at the throttle pedal when the speed limited set point has been reached, the detent is easily over-ridden if necessary. ( uphill the limit set remains attainable the detent position just changes enough to gain the roadspeed )
When in operation on downhill stretches of road, gravity can take over understandable because the limiter above has no effect upon the braking system.

My findings? An absolute gem, combined with our very own cam PGSW database, I can drive previously unknown areas without constantly taking eyes off the road checking speedo... I have literally almost removed myself from HMG's revenue camera scam.

With all due respect, for every driver relying upon 'accelerating out of trouble' there will be several making a flawed decision and carrying out the exact opposite - accelerating into trouble ... Perhaps by acting in a 'non standard' manner they inadvertently, or otherwise, place drivers around them in trouble... mostly never realising they have done so

Rolling Eyes
Bratters
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the accelerating out of trouble scenario.What about the simple overtake. You put your foot down accelerate past a slower vehicle when half way through the maneuver the limiter kicks in.Whoops or words to that effect and this assumes the devices will be reliable and accurate.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to worry about overtaking - that will be a ticket able offence too !

I can virtually guarantee that this will not be forcibly fitted to all vehicles and here’s why:

1. Whichever government votes this in will be voted out asap, remember the poll tax riots ?
That will be minor in comparison to what would happen – don’t mess with peoples motors
And their right to freedom – perceived or otherwise.
2. The motor industry would be decimated, why buy that Ferrari ? or aston ? or Lamborghini ? or BMW ? or indeed anything that can exceed 70 mph ? All cars would be varying sizes of the same thing, a 2 seat 1.3ltr or the five seat sir ? an estate car sir ? certainly we can do a 1.5 diesel in that, fun to drive ? that’s not the point sir, a car is merely to get you from a to b... why spend billions (with all the jobs and security that provides) developing new cars, with better economy and performance - we have already far exceeded what we would ever be allowed to do.
3. Business would suffer, all of a sudden it wouldn’t be “traffic” slowing you down, restricting deliveries, meetings site visits. It would be irrelevant, you will be restricted before you even got in the car. Every day would equate to a “bad traffic day”. Costs would go through the roof.
4. Accidents would increase in my opinion, as drivers start to day dream more as the car is "taking car of it", after all the car in front isn't going to vary his speed, or behind for that matter...

There you go, I have expressed my point of view, which does not agree with forced speed restrictions, backed up by penalties as opposed to education - I shall now sit back and wait for the abuse to begin...
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirium wrote:
..... I shall now sit back and wait for the abuse to begin...

Not from me - you're spot on! Clap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: