Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECS3 average speed cameras launched Motorcyclists beware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECS3 average speed cameras launched Motorcyclists beware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
A UK car will show about 10% lower speed on the speedo than it is actually travelling.

I think you mean it will show about 10% higher speed on the speedo than it is actually travelling, Mike. Smile
Samsung Galaxy S21
mmman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

It depends what car you drive. If you drive a car from anywhere but the UK you should find the Speedo and the GPS agree. A UK car will show about 10% lower speed on the speedo than it is actually travelling.

Toyotas and Mercs are about 10% over, Hondas pretty accurate...

I'm not too fussed about average speed cameras - much in the same way as the Variable Speed limits, these cameras keep the traffic flowing, albeit not as fast as some would like. In several years of driving through roadworks covered by cameras, I've yet to see a jam.

And I fully support a 20mph outside schools - I live opposite a school and there is a 20 limit in force backed up with humps. You'd think this would be a hint to people that there is a good reason to slow down, but the majority of drivers just see it as a challenge and a test of their accelerator/brake technique Evil or Very Mad

Incidentally, on the M1 yesterday, I noticed that the roadworks have now crept Northwards past Tibshelf. So, how do they work out the average speed if you stop for a wee in the services Rolling Eyes
keefieh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Ealing doesn't need cameras! Reply with quote

There are so many speed bumps, some of them so severe I have to go over them at less than walking speed. The last two years MOTs have cost me a total of £700 in suspension/drive faults (almost certainly in my opinion) caused by driving over these obstacles. It feels like every time I go out there's another set of obstacles being installed somewhere in the area. For low speed 20/30 mph areas I would welcome SPECS3.

Just my opinion :-)
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i cannot see that specs cameras can be considered a safety aid due to the fact if you are held up by traffic or anything you will lose any sense of average speed anyway, thus may be inclined to overspeed to catch up, my focus has done about 1200 miles from new and only shows my average speed at 19mph, albeit mostly local journeys, I remember the days when company car clubs used to be the big thing organising treasure hunts and rallies etc using roamers and things where the dedicated used the twin pilot thingies and it was very difficult to maintain a reasonable average speed, so agian i can only consider them money gatherers.
forx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10yrs time everything will be "watched" youll see,and i bet theres another fake terrorist attack just before they bring in personal chips,for our own safety,a chip under the skin of everyone...
matrix??.,,"if you are a good slave,youve nothing to worry about",,hah.

as for this carp,will have to build special vehical just for having a speed in or pretend im a muslim immi perhaps.lmao.
no point voting at all now,whoever is really in charge is also in charge of all the political parties,banks prolly.

im old so dont really care now,ill go as fast as i want,when i want,theyll have to shoot me,fk em.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: