Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Backup Queery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Backup Queery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Camera Backup Queery Reply with quote

Hi all, just bought a Nuvi 860T, and in the handbook it tells you of a back up camera, and instructs you as follows and qoute "tools/settings/camera" but yet the icon is nowhere to be found, is it that you need an accessory attached before the icon will show . any help apreciated.

TomTom 940 Live
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, does the device come with said camera?

i would have thought that the option would only be available if it was connected?

MaFt
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it says in the hanbook that you need an optional vib 11 unit but having read up on it on garmins website it says that -that is for a stereo system, emailed garmin about this but as usual no reply so far .....very confused, but i will say that the fm transmitter in the garmin 860 is better than brilliant for playing through the cars radio .

TomTom 940 Live
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferret79 wrote:
it says in the handbook that you need an optional vib 11 unit but having read up on it on garmins website it says that -that is for a stereo system.

'somewhere' on Garmin's site - there is a connection diagram for the VIB-11 that shows this (sorry can't remember quite where).

Apparently, you connect a composite-video camera to the VIB-11 and the signal is transfered to the Nüvi via the cradle connection. There are other connections to the reversing-lights, so that it can be engaged automatically.

I'd love to know if it is the VIB or the Nüvi that does the analogue to digital conversion. Also, the last time I looked, the VIB-11 was marked as discontinued!
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
ferret79 wrote:
it says in the handbook that you need an optional vib 11 unit but having read up on it on garmins website it says that -that is for a stereo system.

'somewhere' on Garmin's site - there is a connection diagram for the VIB-11 that shows this (sorry can't remember quite where).

Apparently, you connect a composite-video camera to the VIB-11 and the signal is transfered to the Nüvi via the cradle connection. There are other connections to the reversing-lights, so that it can be engaged automatically.

I'd love to know if it is the VIB or the Nüvi that does the analogue to digital conversion. Also, the last time I looked, the VIB-11 was marked as discontinued!
Thanks for all the help lads ..its the VIB 10 thats obsolete not the VIB 11, but having read up on it its not worth the hastle as its mainly for audio although it will do vidio as is says on the lid,https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00620-10&cID=134&pID=9653 but for 100+quid its better to gett a camera +screen of ebay ....much cheaper option....many thanks again to all who replied with there help

TomTom 940 Live
cyautoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently installed a VIB11 to my Garmin Nuvi 860 (loaded with latest firmware 3.20) and my car stereo. Below are my findings up to now:

1) When the VIB is connected I get an extra menu to configure a reverse camera. I have not connected one yet but I will try later on.

2) The VIB comes with a cable that replaces Nuvi’s power cable. This allows the VIB to connect directly to the Nuvi’s mount. The VIB has its own built-in amplifier that amplifies the audio signal taken from nuvi. It detects when the Nüvi is announcing navigation prompts and switches ALL speakers off (in my car 2 rear, 2 front and 2 sub) and directs the amplified sound from the Nuvi to ALL the speakers. The voice quality is very clear and loud.

Now some bad news:

1) To my surprise the VIB only detects navigation prompts. It does not detect voice prompts for speed or proximity alerts. So my custom Speed POIs that used to be announced before installing the VIB (I use my custom mp3 speed alert files) are not detected and no sound is send to the car’s speakers. My guess is that the VIB does not detect audio coming from mp3 sources.

2) I have also connected the VIB (via its two RCA plugs) to my car stereo AUX IN as described in the user manual. Unfortunately, the audio is distorted and although I spent a lot of time playing with the volume settings I have not managed to get clear HiFi sound as the user manual says. By the way, when my car stereo is at the AUX mode I can hear the voice prompts for my speed alerts but of course I don’t have my radio always at AUX mode. Connecting the Nuvi’s to my car stereo AUX IN using the headphone jack works fine and I get HiFi sound. As soon as the VIB is connected the audio is distorted.

I have emailed Garmin and I am waiting for their reply on the above 2 issues. As soon as I get a reply I will update this post.
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyautoman wrote:
I have recently installed a VIB11 to my Garmin Nuvi 860 (loaded with latest firmware 3.20) and my car stereo..
Please can you tell me where you got the VIB11 from? Been trying to find one for ages. Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: