Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 530 Shutting itself down?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 530 Shutting itself down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: GO 530 Shutting itself down? Reply with quote

I have a GO 530 which since the upgrade before the most recent, has developed a habit of shutting itself down and rebooting itself whilst driving. When it reboots, it navigates to the most recent location stored and not to your actual destination. I've tried since the most recent "upgrade" and it still shuts down but appears to save the destination and navigates correctly. I am a recovery truck driver and rely heavily on sat nav. I'm now using a Garmin 860T and the more I play with it the more I like it.
Sorry to rant, Question.. Is the TomTom fixable or do I ebay it and stick to the Nuvi?

Ipaq/Navigator 2yrs
TomTom Go530 8 mths
Garmin 860T 2 days and loving it.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a pin reset on the unit?
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Have you tried a pin reset on the unit?
Yes David. I have formated the device twice. The first time I did a full manual back up. The second time I manually backed up only the essential files under the instructons of TomTom via email and tried the device without any custom items and no traffic/handsfree enabled. My final attempt was a journey from the M25 to Portsmouth and back, with a clean install off the latest navcore and it rebooted 3 times. I have noticed that the 3.5mm jack for audio out has disappeared into the unit (It's never been used), could this be shorting the power supply inside the unit as my truck goes over bumps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask if your machine is very short on storage space, as that sometimes used to cause re-booting or re-routing problems, but if the audio socket has been broken and pushed into the circuit board, anything might have happened to the hardware. Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by removing the socket that is "floating" around inside the device, it could damage the device beyond repair. If its still under warranty consider sending it back, if not we can supply information covering a DIY "dismantling" - its not too difficult - Mike
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would start by removing the socket that is "floating" around inside the device, it could damage the device beyond repair. If its still under warranty consider sending it back, if not we can supply information covering a DIY "dismantling" - its not too difficult - Mike
Thanks for your response Mike. I had thought about removing it but it is still under warranty as it's only 8 months old. I have been trying to send it back but once TomTom ran out of ideas they stopped answering calls from my home number. When I used my mobile, I got through to a human who, once he had established who I was, put me on hold. End of conversation. And they won't answer emails. And all because I told them that if they have the device for two weeks to "repair" it, I would have to buy a replacement to use so I may as well replace it permanently with something reliable. I now have a Nuvi 860T and I just want the 530 repaired to pass on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Post I made a while ago which details changing the battery in the x20/ x30, the only part you need to read is taking the device case off then I would expect the socket thats floating around inside should drop out - Mike
wellchilledguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a read through This Post I made a while ago...
Thanks again Mike. I have removed broken jack and would say that with the metal bits attached, it is quite possible that it was touching and shorting somewhere on the PCB. I'll see if it shuts itself down still tomorrow.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: