Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECS3 average speed cameras launched Motorcyclists beware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECS3 average speed cameras launched Motorcyclists beware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainBlue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The concept is that these will be installed in areas where speed enforcement is considered essential. This could be on a housing estate, through a town centre, or in some of the new 20 MPH areas being introduced around schools.

"Could be". More like "won't be". What are the odds that they will be rolled out over new (lowered) 50mph-limited rural or extra-urban areas? I'd stake my house on this.

This whole "speed kills" justification is : otherwise we'd have stacks of dead Traffic Police officers all over the place.
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: 20 mph limits Reply with quote

I wonder how accurate speedometers are at 20 mph.
Would it be possible to sue the manufacturer if caught by a speed camera when the speedo said you were not exceeding the speed limit?
This goes for all speed limits of course.
TJ63
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to MCN, the A537 Cat & Fiddle is one of the first places earmarked for this. A favourite biking road, now with a blanket 50mph limit (same as virtually all the decent biking roads in Derbyshire).

Rear facing SPECS are the answer to the enforcers' prayers. I can hear the tills ringing already.

Admittedly there are some bike-riding loonies who do stupid things on this road, but a blanket 50mph is surely not the answer. If I recall correctly, only about 6 percent of accidents are directly attributable to excess speed.

TJ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 20 mph limits Reply with quote

jonrome wrote:
Would it be possible to sue the manufacturer if caught by a speed camera when the speedo said you were not exceeding the speed limit?

No, speedo's must be accurate or over read by law. The margins set in place for speed measurement and the construction and use legislation makes such an error very unlikely on a standard car.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 20 mph limits Reply with quote

jonrome wrote:

If you watched the video you would have seen the graph for speeds through the 50MPH roadworks. This showed an average speed of 47mph the real speed you are travelling when your speedo shows 50MPH.
Pulpculture
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your own back - keep within the speed limits. Might not have to visit a relative in hospital as well. Win Win ennit?
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not advocating breaking the speed limit I'm asking what if you thought you were legal but the speedometer was not fit for purpose. A couple of years ago I bought a second hand XJS that under read by 10 mph at 40. I only found out thanks to my satnav.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonrome wrote:
I'm not advocating breaking the speed limit I'm asking what if you thought you were legal but the speedometer was not fit for purpose. A couple of years ago I bought a second hand XJS that under read by 10 mph at 40. I only found out thanks to my satnav.

And the answer would be it was accurate when first manufactured and any error as a result of wear etc over the years was your responsibility. Catch 22 I know but not so much an issue with electronic measurement as used today.
jonrome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we all know they are not accurate, they nearly all over read.
This also applies to the odometer which means when you sell the car & quote the mileage you are giving a false representation as it is in fact less than the indicated figure. Of course if you try to correct this that is also illegal. Heads you lose tails they win.
Where's the Motorist's Revolutionary Front when you need them?
I still think its strange that speedo accuracy is not part of the MOT if speed (not considerate driving) is so important
ghorricks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Arse about face. Reply with quote

The saftey people/police are going about this the wrong way if they are really serious about reducing speeding.

The truth would appear to be that they want to fine people.

Here is the evidence:

They want us to keep to the speed limit but make no attempt to restrict the top speed of new vehicles to 70-80mph.

The current cost of GPS equipment is so low and small in comparison to that of a new car - All cars sometime in the future should have GPS along with a way to pickup updates while passing update transmitters along the way. This way, the cars would know where they are and the upto date speed limits.

Where limits changed suddenly or temporarily, mid range RFID could be used to update cars with new limits... The cars could also report back giving confirmation of the updates.

I am all for freedom and no restrictions, but REALLY... are the saftey people serious in wanting to have us all obey the speed limits?

No.

(rant over)
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a secret plot to cut congestion. The way they are going on, none of us will have a licence, we'll all be walking or cycling. Make us all fitter and cut down on hospital bills to boot.

There's another sinister reason; they will have a record of where and when each of us travelled anywhere. No doubt this will be stored for ever more.

SPECS is flawed as a way of inceasing safety. If you are held up in traffic you can then drive as fast as you like. I think locals will soon be able to calculate the time between cameras and hit the stopwatch as they pass the entry camera.

What's needed is a simple sat nav add on so it can warn if you are about to pass a camera too soon. GPS knows where the entry camera is and the distance to the one you are about to pass so can easily calculate the time at which you can legally pass. All you have to do is slow down or stop for a while, then pass.
tikii
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you watched the video you would have seen the graph for speeds through the 50MPH roadworks. This showed an average speed of 47mph the real speed you are travelling when your speedo shows 50MPH.

Perhaps this has been answered elswhere, but which gives the correct speed, your speedo or satnav? My TTG930 and previously TT Navigator invariably show a speed 3MPH slower than the speedo's in my last three cars and a van I drive regularly

This would probably explain why so many cars in roadworks where SPECS are operational seem to come flying past you. Much as I trust the reading on my satnav to be more accurate because of the way it calculates your speed, I think I'll stick to the speedo as a built in 'safety barrier' to the SPECS 2 or 3 system.

As an added point I used to use some speed camera POI software (checkpoint - I think) on my PDA with TT Navigator and that used to display your average speed when you entered a SPECS controlled area. It would be great if this could be incorporated into the PGPS speed camera database.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikii wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps this has been answered elswhere, but which gives the correct speed, your speedo or satnav? My TTG930 and previously TT Navigator invariably show a speed 3MPH slower than the speedo's in my last three cars and a van I drive regularly

This would probably explain why so many cars in roadworks where SPECS are operational seem to come flying past you. Much as I trust the reading on my satnav to be more accurate because of the way it calculates your speed, I think I'll stick to the speedo as a built in 'safety barrier' to the SPECS 2 or 3 system.

As an added point I used to use some speed camera POI software (checkpoint - I think) on my PDA with TT Navigator and that used to display your average speed when you entered a SPECS controlled area. It would be great if this could be incorporated into the PGPS speed camera database.

It depends what car you drive. If you drive a car from anywhere but the UK you should find the Speedo and the GPS agree. A UK car will show about 10% lower speed on the speedo than it is actually travelling.

The GPS speed will be very accurate as long as you are not changing speed rapidly.
tikii
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I drive a Picasso and the Van is a Merc Sprinter and I still get the 3MPH difference. However, I do know that the 'French' computer type speedo does have a problem with converting KPH to MPH and Kilometers to Miles accurately Rolling Eyes
StevieBoygps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: What about rat runs? Reply with quote

This SPECS 3 looks like the answer to catch all speeders, but when the system is calculating the average speed between any two points in the network, it must look at all the possible routes between those points and use the shortest possible distance between them. If it looks at the distance based on the main roads, but a driver knows of shortcuts, even if the driver isn't speeding, the system will think he is - but he's just covering a shorter distance.

Taking this one step further - if the system is based on the shortest possible route between cameras, a driver could potentially speed if the route taken is a longer one. Mind you it'd take a bit of calculating what speed you could drive at !!!

Does that make sense??

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: