Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route line covering map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route line covering map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Route line covering map Reply with quote

Hi all

The route line on my active 10 appears are a thick orange line which sometimes cover obscures information on the o/s map.

Is there any way of changing the colour thickness in order not to obscure details.

Many thanks

Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I position my routes be parallel with the roads that I'm riding on. Admittedly it does render the updated 'Distance to End Of Route' info box useless.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is no.

I agree that it would be desirable to adjust the transparency of created route line as I like to keep my created routes on target. I hope it'll be dealt with in a future firmware update.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or perhaps just a button touch to turn it ff temporarily?

Roger
Not_lost_yet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is a bit off putting, I'm sure, as mentioned above, there may be an update in the future which addresses this issue.

Going on, and leading my first serious walk with SatMap on Sunday. Hope my new toy performs well and I dont make a fool of myself with it Embarassed
Balderovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Just one bit of the jigsaw ? Reply with quote

As a general point, I wonder if sometimes too much is expected of SatMap ? Yes, it's pricey and you are entitled to accurate performance and ease-of-use to reflect your outlay but I get the impression occasionally that some users are after a device which physically paints a green line with arrows in front of them on the route...?!
I think that all satnav devices should be part of a general navigation package ie

-take a paper map and compass and develop good skills to occasionally cross refer (and bail out if batteries die !)

-trust your experience and divert occasionally if the route looks more suitable (SatMap will always refresh wherever you are)

-don't worry too much whether the route slightly obscures map detail (paper maps have this congestion problem too particularly 1:50k)

-don't fuss that the distance is accurate to a meter or two or the up-and-downs to a foot.

For me SatMap and the whole route planning experience (either from scratch or from a magazine or download site) has got me out and about in the Great Outdoors again both on foot and on two wheels.

Love the thing !!

Balderovich
Bloberoonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the majority on this one, it's one of my major wants with the Satmap. I would love to be able to adjust either the transparency or the thickness of the orange route line.

Steve
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised this point with Satmap about a year ago, as I also found it annoying that route detail was obscured. I suggested greater transparency or thinner line.
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe a different colour - too similar to road colours, OK when walking - a bit confusing when cycling.
dwarfplanetpluto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the thickness or transparancy should be alterable, but I've begun to put fewer waypoints in as advised elsewhere. It doesn't obscure the paths so much, and takes less time.

I tend to put in the main places I want to visit, such as summits and bridges, and important routes to avoid crags etc. Then I make the rest up as I go along depending on the conditions.
Not_lost_yet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All points noted above.
I went for my first serious walk using SatMap yesterday and I did find the the line confusing at times and I even went down the wrong way on two occasions but only for 50 yards or so, as it soom beacame obvious I was wrong.
I put it down to being a new user and my inexperience.

However, I think for my next walk with a planned saved route, I will put my waypoints to the side of the marked path or track, as Robs1972 suggested above, and then hopefully there will be no error...... Confused

It was a little embarrasing also cus I was leading the walk Embarassed Embarassed .
It was also possible that I may have had the magnification too low. We all learn from out mistakes I guess.

On the whole I thought the Sat Map performed very well and I am pleased with the purchase.... Watch this space!!!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwarfplanetpluto wrote:
I agree that the thickness or transparancy should be alterable, but I've begun to put fewer waypoints in as advised elsewhere. It doesn't obscure the paths so much, and takes less time.

I tend to put in the main places I want to visit, such as summits and bridges, and important routes to avoid crags etc. Then I make the rest up as I go along depending on the conditions.

Excellent! It may have been one of my posts you refer to - I've been a long time supporter of "less is better" when plotting routes. For most UK walking you don't get much choice of route as the permitted paths tend to be the only ones available to you.

The suggestions in here to offset the route/waypoints seems to defeat the object of planning a route. (Here is a list of points I don't want to go to Laughing ). I would hope that Satmap do allow for altered transparency / thickness of the route overlay - or at least a simple way (single button press) to turn it off and on (including the current position indicator) to allow an uncluttered look at the map - which would be my preferred solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: