Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI for the PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI for the PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: POI for the PC Reply with quote

Just to let people know I'm starting work on a PC ( Laptop) based version POI notifier. Mainly so that I can load the speed camera database. It'll start off very simple ( ie won't take speed or direction into account) will just purely tell you if your within a predefined area of a POI.

If you have any suggestions let me know .. I already have a working GPS component for my language ( Delphi) along with a simluator. Its just a question now of getting the software to perform well against the database.

Oh if anyone knows of an already existing piece of software for the laptop let me know Smile as it'll save me some work.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want to integrate your program into existing navigation apps for the PC (like Routis or MapPoint). Think about how to split the GPS data so two applications can use it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
cybrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment it isn't going to integrate into anything .. just import stuff.. So it'll have the ability to import OC2 files ( tomtom) and CSV.. ( about the only two files I'm looking at, at the moment.

All it'll do for the time being is give a warning when it reaches a POI. This is all I need it for the speed cameras.. I'll work on refining the alogirthm first as well.. so it can tell your direction and speed.. ( although the speed camera speed isn't in the database published on this site which is a shame).

But I'll allow the segregation of POI's so you could get it to tell you the nearest POI for example.. it won't be integrated into mapping software.. at least for the time being Smile
cybrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Think about how to split the GPS data so two applications can use it.

Miss understood what you meant by this the first time.. but I know now..

I'm at the moment using gpsGate, but I'll look into some freeware software once I've got a bit of time... The project has got off to a bad start I've had to write my own GPS component parsing the NMEA sentences .. which is always interesting stuff. Smile It looks as though my GPS doesn't follow the normal NMEA sentence structure, although apps like mapsonic can understand it perfectly.

What I'll do is write the app for me to start with, release it and if anyone has problems getting it working I'll have to have a look at the structure of their GPS Smile
cybrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished this, its very rough and ready and needs a fair bit of refinement. But if anyone fancies beta testing leave a reply here or send me a mail and I'll send you the application with same instructions.. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: