Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please - Vista, Firefox, Windows Mail
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please - Vista, Firefox, Windows Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Help please - Vista, Firefox, Windows Mail Reply with quote

I'm just migrating to a new computer, it has Vista and Windows Mail and I've installed Firefox 3.0.7.

Previously, when I received an email from pgpsw notifying me of a reply to a topic I'm watching, the notification gave a link, which I would click and it would send me directly to the specific post which triggered the notification.

That is no longer happening, I am sent to the top of the page, so I have to scroll down to find the trigger post.

Anybody know anything, please?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

When you get the e-mail, does the full url of the required post appear? This is one I received earlier today and it took me directly there:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=467444#467444

If you copy and paste the link in to Firefox, does it take you there?

Just trying to eliminate possibilities, as I have XP & Firefox 3.0.7 and I have no issues. I may be able to try it on my daughter's Vista laptop tomorrow.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the email has the complete accurate URL link, but clicking it does not pick it all up. Notice the link has a post number repeated, separated by the # sign. My click only picks up one set when I click it inside Vista's Windows Mail, so the link you generated by your reply is displayed in WinMail as ...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=467570#467570

but it only carries forward "p=467570" and takes me to the top of the page, not your post. If I instead copy and paste that link, it works correctly. But in my simple mind, that's not what these links are about.

By contrast, when I click that link in your post above (not in an email), it carries forward "p=467444#467444" and goes directly to the post in question.

richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

That's what I kind of thought might be happening. I tried removing the duplicated post number and was taken to the top of the page, rather than the actual post. There must be something in Firefox that you have, that I don't - or vice versa!

My version is 3.0.7 and I have Addblock plus 1.0.1, British English Dictionary 1.19, Ghostery 1.3.9, Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.1.2008112W, Java Quick Starter 1.0, Microsoft ,Net Framework Assistant 1.0, Nokia PC Sync 2 Synchronisation Extention 1.0.0.658, Skype extension for Firefox 2.2.0.102 and United States English Dictionary 3.0.3 as Add ins.

XP is up to SP3 with all Critical Microsoft updates.

I don't know if that helps in any way?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not thinking it's Firefox. If I click the link in the body of this web page, it works exactly as it should. If I click the identical link in Vista's Windows Mail, it doesn't. It all worked beautifully in Outlook Express in Win XP Pro X64, Firefox 3.0.7 and the only thing I know I had in that was IE Tab.

Maybe I'll try Thunderbird. Confused

richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I've just tried switching from Firefox to Internet Explorer 8 and making that my default browser, but it makes no difference - I still get to the post rather than the top of the page.

Give me a bit of time tomorrow and I'll see what happens with Vista and IE 7, which my daughter has on her machine.

I use full blown Outlook and she uses a Web Mail client, so we'll see if there;s any difference. If not, then it's got to be Windows Mail, I guess.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot offer an explanation but I can confirm this is a Windows Mail thing.

While Outlook behaves as it should, Mail performs as per the OP, be it with IE or Firefox set as the default browser.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Maybe I'll try Thunderbird. Confused
Best idea yet. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
I cannot offer an explanation but I can confirm this is a Windows Mail thing.

While Outlook behaves as it should, Mail performs as per the OP, be it with IE or Firefox set as the default browser.
Yes, I found this when I tried IE to test. I'd even have been prepared to use IE if that worked properly - honest! Rolling Eyes

It's not the only problem with Mail - it doesn't autocomplete addresses as you type them - unbelievable!! I mean, do we go back to typing in the complete email address to send an email. And that's been the subject of complaints for at least a year when I go searching. I did come across a work around - type the first three letters of the address, then Ctrl+Enter and get a list, but it's really steam power!
Oldboy wrote:

DennisN wrote:

Maybe I'll try Thunderbird.

Best idea yet.
I did have a short go with it a few years ago, can't remember why I reverted to Outlook Express - might have been because my accounts and settings didn't migrate easily, so I gave up with the number of accounts I have? This time I've so far only set up two, so it'll be no effort.

Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

It's not the only problem with Mail - it doesn't autocomplete addresses as you type them

Au contraire, addresses from your contacts list will auto complete.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
DennisN wrote:

It's not the only problem with Mail - it doesn't autocomplete addresses as you type them

Au contraire, addresses from your contacts list will auto complete.

Great. How? (I do have autocomplete selected). I do get autocomplete of the only two people I've emailed since I started, but not for anybody else.

Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That how it works Dennis for Mail and Outlook.

An address must be used once, next time auto complete will kick in.

edit:
The above is still true but.
I tried something, and I am wrong about this. Auto complete works from memorising entries into the recipient fields and the Windows Contacts list.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to posts in other forums, it remembers the names/addresses for a short time only, then forgets them again. And the memory is finite, so it won't remember them all (do I remember a limit of 29?), just in case you choose to send an email to your entire addressbook just to wake this feature. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I've committed to Thunderbird now, but it's sad how all of them miss out the odd (different) thing that I'd like, or have an annoying feature that I don't like.

Ho, hum - two accounts created now, only 16 to go. And don't anybody tell me about the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard - Paul was chillingly accurate in saying he can rely on them to totally let him down! Evil or Very Mad

Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your head in the jar?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help please - Vista, Firefox, Windows Mail Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Previously, when I received an email from pgpsw notifying me of a reply to a topic I'm watching, the notification gave a link, which I would click and it would send me directly to the specific post which triggered the notification.

Focusing issues in Firefox have been repaired in version 3.0.9 (April 21st 09). This issue is now resolved.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: