Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use of Memory Cards with TomTom3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Memory Cards with TomTom3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Use of Memory Cards with TomTom3 Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry if this is a numpty type question but i'm just trying to get this clear in my head. Confused

I now have a series of SD and CF cards that would be able to accomodate the all the TT3 UK and Europe maps and other data but not on one card.

I understand that basic data files images etc offer no problems but its the way that TomTom will deal with it I'm concerned about.

When you install TomTom maps you install them to a memory card, either SD or CF, are they stored in isolation of the main program? Basically, can you insert and remove the cards as required or are they (the maps) linked back to the application and require an uninstall?

I dont want to spend time installing maps only to find that it's been a complete waste of time.

Thanks
SatMap
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have GB, MRE and Switzerland installed on one 256M SD card, and France installed on another. It is a simple task to switch maps [File] [Switch Maps] from one country to another. However I generally close the application down though to avoid lock-ups, change cards and then switch the map...

Steve.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recommended way is that you install the application, GPS driver and voice files to main memory. The maps go (usually) on your storage card.

There's nothing that special about a map - it's just a folder full of files that you can copy around and move between cards at will.

A card reader is highly recommended. If you haven't got one, you may find the only way you can install the larger maps is to unpack them to disc first, then copy them to the card via ActiveSync. Telling the TomTom installer to install them direct to the memory card via ActiveSync often fails.

David
faramoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD is a heck of a lot slower than Comact Flash in operation. This is as SD has very fast single location access times, but a long recovery period, whereas CF is the other way around. Given that TT2/3 accesses large chunks is quicker.

When I first got TT2 I used a Toshiba e740 and put the map on SD. The time to find and address was way too long, and as for calculation of a route - I could drive 10 miles before it worked out a 50 mile journey. I put the maps onto CF, and zoom !

switching is easy, just install and go to the switch map menu
mpb001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no problems using SD card on tt3

takes about 30 secs to 1 min to calc a route from greater manchester to docklands in london.
im using kodak 256mb cards if thats any help.
mpb001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry just to add i have tt3 installed in main memory and only the maps on SD card.
simontan1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are asking if you can have maps installed on both CF & SD cards on a PDA that has both slots, and whether Tomtom can find the maps on both cards. The answer is yes, I have CH, A, D maps on a CF card and GB, F, I, E on a SD card. When I run Tomtom, if lists all 7 maps so obviously can read all memory slots when running. By the way, switching from a map that's on the SD card to one on the CF causes no problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: