Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Full digit postcode routing?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Full digit postcode routing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

The problem is that if you don't guess a house number and do what most people would do and enter nothing then the postcode information will be replaced by street information. This also happens if you enter an invalid number.

Most users would be lost at the need to guess not just a house number but also a valid house number (some numbers in the range are not valid presumably because of the odd/even postcode split).

This information is not entirely correct. You really should get your facts correct rather than just quoting from memory.

For everyone else who is reading this post and getting totally confused the fact is that entering any number within the suggested address range, whether valid or not, will route you to the approximate position of that number (or the estimated position for an invalid number).

linknet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Retty and Linknet. I think that you are both right. Retty has a valid point regarding the IGO PC search and Linknet's workaround works for me.

But whoever is 'righter' (and I think it's a draw) the fact remains that the IGO8 postcode search algorithm sucks as you cannot navigate to a postcode without entering a house number, (You can with MioMap 3.2 if you have the 7ppc UK map) which I believe is the point that Retty was making in the first place.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
@ Retty and Linknet. I think that you are both right. Retty has a valid point regarding the IGO PC search and Linknet's workaround works for me.

But whoever is 'righter' (and I think it's a draw) the fact remains that the IGO8 postcode search algorithm sucks as you cannot navigate to a postcode without entering a house number, (You can with MioMap 3.2 if you have the 7ppc UK map) which I believe is the point that Retty was making in the first place.

If you check the first post that I made you will note that the first words I used were "It's far from ideal" then I offered a workaround. Of course it needs a button to route to the centre of a postcode location, no one is disputing that.

The point is that having provided a workaround I then get a whole load of rhetoric and have to actually provide screenshots of the workaround before this guy finally backs down and admits that he was wrong, and he's only had a 10 minute demo of it at the local market, so he's working entirely from memory. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Regards

linknet
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

If you check the first post that I made you will note that the first words I used were "It's far from ideal" then I offered a workaround. Of course it needs a button to route to the centre of a postcode location, no one is disputing that.

The point is that having provided a workaround I then get a whole load of rhetoric and have to actually provide screenshots of the workaround before this guy finally backs down and admits that he was wrong, and he's only had a 10 minute demo of it at the local market, so he's working entirely from memory. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

linknet

The only thing I got wrong by using memory alone was not remembering the fact that house number search box provides an (inaccurate) address range. Crying or Very sad The rest of my criticism was pretty accurate. At the end of the day iGO8 is a unusual in terms of how it handles routing to 7 digit UK postcode addresses (with or without house number).

I suggested that others should check out the software before buying it because they may be very disappointed if they don't - especially if it is going to be used by other non enthusiast users in the family who won't see the point of selecting phantom addresses and having real ones rejected as not existing.

The postcode routing is broken because if you don't enter a house number you will be routed according to street name alone without any notice being paid to different postcodes (not just postcode districts) within the same street. On a long road (like the road I gave in the example) this can put you half a mile or more outside your destination without you even realising it. This would be considered by most people to be a problem with software design. The manual I saw made mention of this feature at all.

The fact is that if you do not enter a house number the software will "forget" the postcode and calculate route according to street name alone.

For people reading this thread who are confused - the software provides no function for calculating a 7 digit postcode mid point unlike every other mainstream 7 digit postcode sat nav software on the markert ane even like earlier versions of this software.

For continental addresses this would usually not be a problem because postcode location is not as detailed as it is in the UK. My criticism was that the software has obviously been designed without considering either the functionality provided by previous versions of the software or the fact that the UK postcode address system is very accurate.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Retty

So it's not to your liking, then you've made the right decision not to purchase it.

The postcode search specifically requires you to enter a house number, this is indicated in the manual, so by circumventing it you are obviously running into problems.

I think you seriously underestimate the intelligence of the average satellite navigation user, or their "less enthusiastic" family members, by assuming that they are unable to enter a house number when presented with a reasonable estimate of the range of house numbers available in that postcode location.

However you still seem to have serious concerns, so as I suggested before, why not post your comments on the developers forum where you might actually make a difference ?

So presumably after this you're going to issue another dire warning on the consequences of purchasing iGO8 so that no one will be terribly disappointed when they find that they are required to enter a house number for the postcode location. Rolling Eyes

As I stated previously, a button to do this would obviously be an advantage, but at the moment this is not an option. Instead of just complaining, contact Nav'N'Go, you might actually achieve a positive result, after all it's only a very minor adjustment to their software that's required.

linknet
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
@ Retty

So it's not to your liking, then you've made the right decision not to purchase it.

The postcode search specifically requires you to enter a house number, this is indicated in the manual, so by circumventing it you are obviously running into problems.

I think you seriously underestimate the intelligence of the average satellite navigation user, or their "less enthusiastic" family members, by assuming that they are unable to enter a house number when presented with a reasonable estimate of the range of house numbers available in that postcode location.

linknet

I don't underestimate anybody. The postcode routing system is at best counter intuitive. The system is obviously designed for continental addresses.

I was interested in iGO8 because - aside from offering updated maps and I hoped better software than Miomap - it uses Trafficmaster TMC which may (or may not) be better than Miomap's ITIS service.

I had the chance to try a legally produced SD card version of iGO before I bought. Consequently I decided not to buy.

It isn't about warning people of dire consequences. It is about saying try before you buy because your £100 may be better spent elsewhere. Aside from updated maps, 3d objects and a world of skins iGO8 offers no obvious improvement over Miomap 3.3 or iGO 2006.
mxmaciek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: What version of soft & maps have you tested? Reply with quote

AFAIK, offerd in UK NavNGo soft is sold at 2G card, what indicates that this is outdated, 8.0.xxx soft and map from similar period. On EU market (Germany, Hungary etc.) you can find NavNGo offered on 4G SDHC card with soft version 8.3.xxx. Maps version... depends on the seller, but you can expect that it will be Q2/Q3 for Navteq or 2008.07 for TA edition.

Depending on the map provider, the postcode search efficiency is differ, because maps accuracy changes.
One more comment: please believe me, the continental postcodes are as precise as UK ones. In my whole life I couldn't find the house without or outside of its postcode area... Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the reviewer of the iGO 8 software all I'd like to add the following.

The original post queried why i did not mention this 'serious bug' in my review - the answer is that i never came across it as a bug. if i have a post code but not a house number then i just go to the mid point of the road... if it's offices or a shop i'm looking for then all it takes is to drive along the road to find it... if it's a house then you have no chance of finding a house without a number anyway?!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if it's a house then you have no chance of finding a house without a number anyway?!MaFt

Smart ... but oh so true
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
As the reviewer of the iGO 8 software all I'd like to add the following.

The original post queried why i did not mention this 'serious bug' in my review - the answer is that i never came across it as a bug. if i have a post code but not a house number then i just go to the mid point of the road... if it's offices or a shop i'm looking for then all it takes is to drive along the road to find it... if it's a house then you have no chance of finding a house without a number anyway?!

MaFt

Not alot of good is it. What if you are after a named house ie rose cottage on a long country lane and only have a post code, try and find that house in the dark wet December night. Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite possible that the whole length of your long country lane has the same PC Very Happy
csjjpm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: flawless diversity Reply with quote

I have used both a TomTom and the iGo8 software and been sent the wrong direction using postcode searching. The TomTom sent me 6 miles up a country lane in the wrong direction and when I asked the occupant of the house it sent me two he said that lost clueless strangers knocked on his door on a daily basis. That was the last time I relied on a SatNav.

So far the iGo has only confused me with a variety of street names within the same postcode area as it never seems to let me enter the last letter so that is where you have to double check the address. You have to not rely solely on the SatNav but use it as a guide and still engage your brain.

I still think the iGo software is far easier to use and gives alot more information and linknet's Ultra Skin is excellent and is my interface of choice.

My only bugbite is the difficulty installing custom POIs. That is for another discussion.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It is quite possible that the whole length of your long country lane has the same PC Very Happy

Hi there, You may be right but the two sat navs I have more often than not both give the same destination using only the PC . Garmin XT on my mobile and my Sony nav u. Why have two the Sony unit the maps are now two years old so I went out and brought XT from Garmin just to get a current map. As a courier they are both used 12 hours or more a day.
PS I just wish Sony surported their units, with no SD card slot I cant buy another system for it.
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum.

Getting back to the original query, I must be doing something wrong with my iGO8 that I have had for over 12 months, as I have never encountered any problem navigating directly from a postcode.

Entering the PostCode in the Town name field (I know that it is counter intuitive) validates it is a correct postcode and then places the cursor at the Royal Mail OS reference. Hit Destination, and bang you are being routed to there.

Admittedly, the OS references are not always 100% correct, but that is a Royal Mail/OS issue, not a navigator or mapping issue.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: