Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP1940 battery problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP1940 battery problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siouxguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: HP1940 battery problem Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a problem with my HP1940 and it is driving me crazy! I have lost all my information on the pocket PC around five times now.

Last night, I decided to buy a self-help book on how to do everything with your pocket PC, and I sat down to experiment with various functions and added some contacts etc.

I kept checking the power fearing that it would reset and lose all its data as it has done in the past. The battery was fine - just over 2/3rds full, so I didn't worry about it. Anyway, I switched off my PC and put it away, only to find this morning that when I switched it back on the log-in screen came on and I had to enter all my User Info from scratch - the battery had either failed or it had reset itself!

Has anyone else had this problem? I have had the device over a year, but haven't managed to sit down with it properly until now to use it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long had you left the 1940? It should last a few days before the battery runs flat and the memory is wiped.

When you're not using your Pocket PC, the best thing is to leave it on charge. Lithium Ion / Lithium Polymer batteries don't mind this - indeed, it's best not to deep cycle them unless it's unavoidable. This is different to the advice for earlier battery technologies.

If it wasn't flat batteries, it's possible you had another problem that caused the machine to spontaneously hard reset - such as possibly a loose battery.

David
RogerStenning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound a little harsh, but coming from the old world PC help desk (in w3.11 days, no less), I regularly (like on a daily basis) back my iPaq 1940 up. Activesync has a feature to do this, by the way. Go Tools -> Backup/restore, and follow the on-screen instructions on your desktop PC.

Regarding the battery. Odd. On your 1940, go Start -> settings, select the tab for 'system', then -> power, and if the NiMh backup looks odd (should read 100%), it may be a hardware fault that needs a back to factory fix. That's all I can think of, off the top of my head. Hope it helps, anyhow.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backup daily too, using Sprite Backup Premium Edition. I then synchronise the backup files to my main PC (which backs up daily to hard disk, then the hard disk backup copies itself automatically to DDS-4 tape) using Mightysync.

As I synchronise over Wi-Fi, I leave ActiveSync set to do an incremental backup every time I connect, but ActiveSync's restore feature can leave a lot to be desired!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: