Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommendations new pda with gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations new pda with gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Recommendations new pda with gps Reply with quote

Hi chaps ... old boring question probably but as things change on a daily basis I thought I'd update my request, I'm on a HTC Artemis at present and will probably keep it but it's getting a little grubby and wondered if there were any better devices out there now, I'm on Virgin so would need unlocked and need gps (I have TomTom 6 I think I guess it can be installed on any pc) I'd quite like a iPhone (because I am a mac user and like the idea of syncing everything up) but prefer TomTom and really cannot afford the stupid monthly charge with 02 - anyway thanks to anyone for offering advice Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good old Artemis is still a decent unit although slightly lacking in memory and processor speed but its still a capable PDA phone. Have a look at the Touch HD, Touch Diamond 2 and Touch Pro 2.

The only downside is cost, non of these units are cheap at all, also be aware how out of date your TTN6 application and maps are, consider switching to McGuider or one of the other applications that uses more recent mapping - Mike
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, it was your good advice that made me buy the Artemis in the first place and I've been really pleased with it ... yes I looked briefly at the McGuider site and read the thread you were a respondent in and it looks pretty good, almost too good to be true, I see they have their own speed cameras now but I am a PGPSW subscriber, is one or other preferred (probably a silly question here) - I used my TTN6 with great success in Spain last year and was really pleased will McGuider be as reliable ? - I've read a couple of posts knocking it ! Best regards Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No application is ever going to be 100% but I like the McGuider user interface as it is simple, clear and intuitive in use.

As an application there is nothing wrong with the TomTom Navigator product, but it is let down by mapping that won't be far off three years old soon. There are plenty of new road layouts in the UK that have been introduced over this period of time, the A1M around FerryBridge, and further South such as Blyth/ A57 etc.

You can still use the PGPSW Speed Camera database with McGuider, any software house developing/ releasing a navigation application that didn't use third party POI files is wasting their time (Route 66 take note - no way to add speed cameras/ other POI means the app will never be recommended) - Mike
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll remember McGuider but don't really have the £80 at the moment ... looks good though ... Roger
rogertb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not sure about that price, I know this is a little off topic Mike but on the McGuider home page the McGuider Europe 2009 - CD is 59 euros but when I hit the purchase link and go to the teleatlas site it's £39, with the euro / £ on a par now that's hell of a good rate .... or am I missing something ? (and why is there a sd card version ... does it just save the copy from DVD to sd effort) ? Regards and have a good Easter weekend Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DVD version makes installation/ activation to a device with no memory card slot such as some of the HTC PDA based phones that now have 4GB of built in memory. It also allows installation to a much larger memory card, the pre-installed to card version you can purchase can be moved from the supplied card to a larger card but only once - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: