Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio closes US offices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio closes US offices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Mio closes US offices Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comOur friends at GPSBusinessNews broke the story last week that Mio were closing the doors on their US business.

Mio have now responded on their corporate web-site clarifying the situation. Whilst they are indeed closing their US offices they are not abandoning the US marketplace and will continue to sell Mio devices in the US.

The rather cryptically worded press release copied in full below says they will offer their products in "selected channels" and will also launch new products next month.

However, despite the official statement, what is clear is that Mio are struggling to offer an innovative product in the face of fierce competition.

Mio bought Magellan last year hoping to take advantage of its US presence and Navman for it's strong brand but both purchases have proved unsuccessful. Staff have been laid off at the former UK offices and sales of Navman devices have nose dived following the acquisition.

The full press release:

"In response to the article published in GPS Business News entitled “Mio closing business in the US” on April 3, 2009, Mio announced that the company will continue the sales in the North American market. Mio will offer products in selected channels and launch new products in May. Mio emphasize that the company will also continue to deliver sleek, easy-to-use portable navigation devices to the market, and also accelerate the development of a variety of innovative GPS-based lifestyle products that extend the user experience well beyond traditional PNDs."

http://www.mio.com

worried
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they might stand a better chance if their after service e-mail service actually worked, I have had a lot of trouble with them recently.

They have just brought out another set of NavPix, Easter 09, included is Dingle Bay (Ireland?) and it is on the map in Colwyn Bay, also their implication of Lat and Long in the Exif doesnt work, the other ones in the Data base from Joe Public are OK.

these were the subjects of abortive attempts to their service Dept near Gatwick, nothing other than e-mail is available.

Sad Confused Mad Crying or Very sad
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, in reading Mio's response, I think the "new models" they refer to may actually be under the Magellan moniker, with 5 new Roadmates announced this week. All use their new One-Touch (iGo8?) interface, with the largest and most expensive model the 1470, already available as an Amazon exclusive model. With a 4.7" screen, free traffic with the purchase of a receiver cable (free till the end of the month, then about $80 for the cable), but no Bluetooth, it's a bit of an odd duck IMO.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be IGO. NavNGo and Mio fell out a while back.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magellan 4350 I beta-tested sure appeared to be iGo based, tho I've never confirmed it. The new roadmates look to have the same interface as the 43xx from the screenshots I've seen.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, could be a hangover deal from pre Mitac purchase then. I forget the details now but NavNGo pulled the plug because of continual breach of contract.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember that. I think there's still an active lawsuit involved, or at least I never saw any notice that it had been settled.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I just saw a post indicating that, unlike the 4300's, the new Roadmates announced are definitely NOT iGo-sourced for their One-Touch interface. The poster is a friend of mine and has had excellent inside contacts with Magellan for years. I consider him extremely reliable. So you were correct, I was wrong.

"This is a TRUE Magellan U.I, it is their own back-end and not from iGO/ NNG. They brought back most use of freeways, least use of freeways options, they brought back the chime "DING" just before the turn etc.. . . "
[/i]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: