Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost maps on 740 - help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost maps on 740 - help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Lost maps on 740 - help! Reply with quote

OK so I should know better -
I used Tomtom HOME to update my GO 740 without taking a full backup first. It went through all sorts of interesting downloads - new voices, software etc, pronounced All Up To Date only for me to get the message "No maps found!" when I tried to use it later. PANIC! I eventually found the reset button (hold the on/off button down for 30 secs), removed the 2 Gb memory card that now held the extra voices etc and now the unit boots up OK.

However, if I put the card back in I get the "No maps found" message. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks. Confused
TomTom One XL
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lost maps on 740 - help! Reply with quote

Videodat wrote:
However, if I put the card back in I get the "No maps found" message. Any ideas anyone?

I trust now backed up?

I recall something about being able to boot from sd card - I guess the boot options are looking for a map on SD card. Have you tried switching maps?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds very much like you have put a copy of the Navcore Software on the memory card, the device will boot from the card IF it finds the Navcore software on the card, when this happens the x40 seems to only use the contents of the memory card, it cannot see the maps or voices that are installed to the internal flash memory.
Look at the memory card and see if you can locate some files in the root of the card, see if you can find the file "ttsystem" it will be around 7,5MB in size, delete this then put the card back in and the device should boot from the Flash drive - Mike
Videodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mike, BUT Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

You were quite right - there was a file of that name on the Micro SD card BUT I deleted it without checking that I had a copy on the Tomtom - deleted the copy on the card - now the unit won't boot (shows a picture of a missing SD card) if the card is out of the 740 or if I put the card in it gives the old "No maps found!" message. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Julian
TomTom One XL
Videodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

Mike -

It must be the hangover -

I don't have a micro-card reader so I was viewing the Micro-SD card in Explorer via the Tomtom - good old Windows had reversed the drive letters so I accidentally deleted the file from the 740 not the card! Moving the ttsytem file from the card to flash drive on the Tomtom has solved my problem. Should I also delete the ttgo.bif file and/or the system file from the SD card as well?

Thanks

Julian
TomTom One XL
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make sure of your drive letters before doing this, and consider making a full copy of the device AND card before going any further. If your head hurts from last night go out for a walk and leave the job till later Laughing

Locate the memory card drive letter using Windows Explorer, open it.
Delete all the loose files that you can see in the drive letter, do not touch any of the folders as yet. My 940 has 37 individual files in the root of the device.
You can also delete the following folders from the card:

ASR
bin
fleetcd
gns
helpme
LoquendoTTS
script

Next time you are using Home to update maps or applications make sure you have it set to update the correct area on the device, either the internal Flash memory or the Storage Card - Mike
Videodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Many thanks for your help. I did as you advised, checking I had up-to-date and full backups of both 740 and card (via MS Explorer, not Home), deleted the superfluous files and folders and now is all well.

Again, my thanks.

Julian Very Happy
TomTom One XL

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: