Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Mobile 2009 Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Mobile 2009 Reviewed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Sygic Mobile 2009 Reviewed Reply with quote

With more and more people getting fed up with the lack of updates (both software and maps) for TomTom Navigator we thought it was about time we reviewed another option available to you the customer! So here we have the PocketGPSWorld.com review of Sygic Mobile 2009 – the company behind TeleAtlas' (TomTom's) McGuider software.

Read the full review here!

MaFt
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between
- Sygic Mobile for mobile phones
and
- Sygic Drive for PDA/Pocket PCs

I'm thinking from the point of view of a HTC TyTnII owner.

Marc.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sygic Mobile is designed for handsets that do not have a Touch screen interface. Drive is for devices that do. So a WM PocketPC Phone such as the TyTnII would use Sygic Mobile.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic Drive is the touch screen application Tytn-II is touch screen - Mike
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so Drive it is.

Next question - how uptodate are the maps?

(so far this is ticking all the boxes to replace the old Tomtom).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sygic drive is the old software.

sygic mobile 2009 is their newest software - the website is quite misleading on this!

sygic mobile 2009, as mentioned in the review, is for windows mobile (touch and non-touch screen), and symbian.

not sure about the map dates - it says 'sygic mobile maps 7.71' but no actual date info. if you give me a road i could check fr you? majority of the maps are teleatlas but they do use other providers mainly for eastern europe.

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only immediately obvious change from the 7.70 version of Drive supplied with McGuider 2009 is the ability to set a start destination in the itinerary planner (unless I have missed how to do this in MG).

Interesting you list the map version as 7.71 as this seems to be an older version to that supplied with MG as the latest map for that is 7.80 (file creation date 28/1/2009). Of couse the 7.71 could well be the program version. The map version can be found in Settings/About.

I have been asking Sygic for information on where to get the latest version from but unfortunately my requests have fallen on deaf ears.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,

Forgot to ask. Does the voice alert at roundabouts generally make sense in this version? In MG there is a tendancy for it to miss the minor exits on roundabouts, so a major road being crossed by a minor road will give a voice prompt to take the first exit when going straight on instead of the correct second exit (hope that makes sense).

Vince
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't seem to recall any minor roads being missed at roundabouts but then again i don't remember definately seeing them being in the turn count!!

also, re maps - sorry, it IS 7.80!! 7.71 was program version...

however, if i go to settings / switch map the option is sygic mobile 7.71 (which, looking at it now, is the software version number!)

when the map loads t says "Multimap Sygic 7 loaded"

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

I am guessing it is just a program update from McGuider 2009 then and looks like it uses the same map source (hence the same version number). In MG it says Multimap McGuider 2009 loaded and McGuider 2009 for the map description.
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Sygic Device Compatibility Reply with quote

Quote - "This review is based on my experience using a T-Mobile MDA Compact III – not the fastest phone but, as you will see, perfectly adequate for the software!"

This could be good news for me - I have an O2 Orbit which is virtually the same phone as yours - same processor and ROM/RAM...and certainly not fast!

I run MN4 on it, mainly to have the PocketGPS cameras with me at all times, and it's perfectly adequate for that. (I use a Navigon 2150 Max for navigating).

The O2 Orbit isn't on the compatibility list so I emailed Sygic to see if this was because it really wouldn't work, or whether it was just because it's an old phone, and they replied that if it's not on their list, it's not supported. Fair enough, I suppose, but bad news for me as I really like the look of the software.

So if it works on yours, it should work on mine, and I may just buy it.

One thing though MaFt, are route calculations really as slow as you say? I did a quick Bradford to Land's End on my O2 with MN4 and it took 48 seconds, and the M/c Airport trip took 17 seconds. (on the 2150 Max these times were 4 seconds and 3 seconds respectively - which I call fast!).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sygic Device Compatibility Reply with quote

MikeS48 wrote:
One thing though MaFt, are route calculations really as slow as you say? I did a quick Bradford to Land's End on my O2 with MN4 and it took 48 seconds, and the M/c Airport trip took 17 seconds. (on the 2150 Max these times were 4 seconds and 3 seconds respectively - which I call fast!).

route calculations do seem quite slow BUT i'm also short on both program memory and storage memory which probably don't help much... other than the slowish route calculations the software itself is quite nippy - unlike garmin mobile xt which i find unusable at times on this phone...

if i get chance i might clear a load of junk from the phone and try some routes again.

MaFt
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been searching for the latest version but all searches on Google just seem to point me to various torrent sites. Don't want to go down that road...
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention that the software comes pre-installed on a micro-SD card.
What capacity is the supplied card? And can you copy the software/maps to your own larger capacity card?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a 2gb card which, with all 43 maps installed, has about 16mb free. obviously you can remove maps via the pc software if you need to free up space.

as for availability, sygic told me:
Quote:
Sygic Mobile 2009 will be available during upcoming weeks. We will sell this product by means of our distributors on local markets for 79 euros across
Europe.

from memory, sygic allowed you to transfer the software to a new card, but only once. you would need to contact them for the relevent codes etc for this. i believe mike alder did this for sygic drive review last year?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: