Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bradford Bus Lane
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bradford Bus Lane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Bradford Bus Lane Reply with quote

I have Tomtom 5 on a pda and Tomtom v8.010 on a tomtom 1 version3. Both versions seem to want to send me down a single bus lane which is not marked with the times it is used for buses. I always thought that this later edition of Tomtom maps would have told me to turn left at this junction rather than going straight ahead into the bus lane. It was Sunday and I am not sure if I was allowed to use this lane. Is Tomtom correct here to assume I can use this lane?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the TomTom is clever enough to know specific times when a road can be used or not.

I suppose IQ Routing could maybe have a massive "time to travel" set for that section of road in weekdays so it is avoided in routing calculations, but I'm pretty sure they won't have done that.

I suspect, the TT just thinks it is an open road and all that you can do to change it is to report via MapShare that it is completely blocked all the time.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great road in Exeter which is one-way for two hours in the morning, one-way in the opposite direction for two hours in the evening, and two-way for the rest of the day. It's a single-track road which can be used as a bit of a rat-run during the rush hour, and would be chaotic if traffic was allowed to operate in both directions when it was busy. (The rules don't stop people trying, though!)

I'll bet TomTom can't cope with that!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradford Bus Lane Reply with quote

Royston wrote:
I have Tomtom 5 on a pda and Tomtom v8.010 on a tomtom 1 version3. Both versions seem to want to send me down a single bus lane which is not marked with the times it is used for buses. I always thought that this later edition of Tomtom maps would have told me to turn left at this junction rather than going straight ahead into the bus lane. It was Sunday and I am not sure if I was allowed to use this lane. Is Tomtom correct here to assume I can use this lane?

which one? the only one i can think of in bradford is round the back of the interchange? in which case it's busses only at all times. google streetview car got pulled over for driving along there :D

MaFt
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reported some Edinburgh roads (Cowgate, Holyrood Park) that close at night / on Sundays etc. Easy for them to report using live services or they could use IQ routes data and they are looking into it. I suggest more email the request to Tomtom
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradford Bus Lane Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Royston wrote:

which one? the only one i can think of in bradford is round the back of the interchange? in which case it's busses only at all times. google streetview car got pulled over for driving along there :D

MaFt

MaFt,
I see you know Bradford pretty well.
I leave Harrogate postcode HG28NF and destination is Imax Cinema Car Park Bradford. All goes well until I get well into Bradford on the Otley Road at the junction with Barkerend Road. If you scale this junction on Otley Road up a bit you will sees it is a three lane junction. Tomtom takes you straight across on to Shipley Airedale Road even though there is Bus Lane painted on the road surface. There is also a turn left sign at this junction which I did. Tom tom then tells me to go down Harris Street to rejoin Shipley Airedale Road which is what I wanted. So, can you tell me MaFt if this bus lane is 24/7 please and if tomtom needs a correction here?
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the junction you mean, as far as I can see it is a bus and cycle only lane with no time restrictions - I imagine it's been put in place to stop folk using Otley Road as a Rat Run, forcing them to use the New Otley Road which leads to the Roundabout on Barkerend Road.

Google Streetview has it's uses Laughing
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=53.796861,-1.743811&spn=0,359.998589&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.797032,-1.743763&panoid=GVRC6T7kiPs4lvHnxSaOIA&cbp=12,166.07495557114066,,0,16.799759690302317
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i THINK it's all the time, but i'd have to check... however i would guess that Jaz666 above is correct.

i don't tend to travel that side of town that often and i'd forgotten there's a bus lane around there too...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: