Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Power Pack Discharge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Pack Discharge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Power Pack Discharge Reply with quote

I use the satmap rechargeable battery pack. I have noticed that on occasion it completely discharges itself.

I.E. it was 3 parts charged on Saturday when I replaced my Cache, Turned it on tonight only to find it was closing down due to low battery charge?

Am I alone in this, it has happened 3 or 4 times now.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually switch it offf after unplugging the charger from the device.

I mention this as i have in the past charged it on a previous evening to a walk next day.

Only to find that at walk start No green bands but a message stating switching off in next x minutes. Its the fact that the unit NEEDS to be switched OFF after charging IF you are not planning to go walking there and then.
marcelus54
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Battery Discharge Reply with quote

I was wondering if it is a case of me not switching it off properly. I have now given it a full recharge, 4 bars full and have switched the unit off and put it in its case until Saturday morning when I will load up a new Pocket Query. I will advise on the state of charge then.

I do not believe I have left it on by mistake. I will repost later.

Thanks nonoftheabove for your reply
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it now, but someone reported here that, Satmap had told them they, where bringing out a solar charger to charge a spare battery while using the Active 10. It may have been Darren or Mike.

I can't believe that this would rely on the delicate little plug and socket arrangement, which not designed to be used more than a few times.

By implication therefore, it suggests that a more user friendly method of battery connection is being considered. A mobile phone type arrangement has been suggested elsewhere in this forum.

I am considering moving to the li-pol battery pack but have always been put off by the prospect of running out of battery mid walk and having to try and fit a spare or the AA cradle in the wild. This would resolve this issue.

Any further information would be great. I would hate to buy one just before the design changed.

Mike: dare I ask you add it to your list of questions for the show please?

Thanks
4ndy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

I am considering moving to the li-pol battery pack but have always been put off by the prospect of running out of battery mid walk and having to try and fit a spare or the AA cradle in the wild. This would resolve this issue.

Unless you are doing very long walks it won't be a problem.

First real test with my li-pol pack on Saturday. It was on for 9hrs 45mins continuously and had lost just the one bar on the battery meter. Good for a few hours more than that I reckon.

No - you wouldn't want to be messing about with the battery cradles in the wild. They seem much too delicate for that.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

No - you wouldn't want to be messing about with the battery cradles in the wild. They seem much too delicate for that.

I am surprised that the Li-Pol battery/battery cradle connector ever got past quality control,it looks so fragile.

Surely it should be possible to change a battery or cure a lock up ( now much rarer ) "on the hoof" if need be without fiddling with such a device.

Having said that though I have connected/disconnected it a few times and it is still OK.Perhaps it is stronger than it looks.

ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I can't find it now, but someone reported here that, Satmap had told them they, where bringing out a solar charger to charge a spare battery while using the Active 10. It may have been Darren or Mike.

First I've heard of it. I have used my PowerMonkey to top up my Active10 whilst on walks where I had forgot to re-charge before-hand and it worked fine though.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the original reference to a solar charger.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74374

The first part, world mapping has started to materialize.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So
Quote:
or that event, we are developing a solar charger which will trickle charge a spare rechargeable battery

Doesn't state it's a LiPo so could just be a charger for standard AA rechargeable types.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
First real test with my li-pol pack on Saturday. It was on for 9hrs 45mins continuously and had lost just the one bar on the battery meter. Good for a few hours more than that I reckon.

Phil

Hope you dont try uploading your 9hr 45min walk onto the route planner, that would really lock it up!

John
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:

Phil

Hope you dont try uploading your 9hr 45min walk onto the route planner, that would really lock it up!

John

Should be posting (or rather publishing it, as it's already on the Satmap route planner site) this weekend. The on-line planner didn't take too long to 'plan' it! There are less than 25 waypoints split between the main route and two optional finish routes. I only place waypoints where it looks like they will be needed - it comes from working with early GPS units that had very limited numbers of waypoints / route!

Total distance of all three 'routes' is 30ish Kms. We ended up walking just short of 20kms - mainly because the pub (the excellent Bridge Hotel in Buttermere) was 0.5Km before the planned end of the walk - and I turned everything off! I was logging with the Active10 and my GPS logger - both tracks were virtually identical.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

I agree using the on line planner to plan a route couldnt be easier I was impressed with how easy it was. I choose to put the minimum of waypoints as well after all I dont want to be following the device from tree to tree exactly would take all the fun out of exploring. My father in law who is 78 would not touch a satnav device he prefers to find his own way and has a lot of fun doing it.

The problem appears to be when uploading from the active 10 to the route planner, the device chooses the waypoints and as I have stated 480 odd over a fairly short cycle ride. Because of the size the route planner cant handle it. Satmap are working on it and have replied once 2 days ago asking me to try it as they had increased the capacity but it still didnt work. I have replied to them and hopefully they can come up with a fix.

Didnt see anything about that on FAQs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: