Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pre Route Planning with the Navman S50 3D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre Route Planning with the Navman S50 3D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Pre Route Planning with the Navman S50 3D Reply with quote

I apologise for quite possibly using the incorrect terminology here...in the space of 24 hours I've become interested in getting hold of a Sat Nav (I usually love gadgets but always though the sat nav was something I didn't really need: a neighbour lent us one to try yesterday and we immediately saw the benefits...and now want one!)

Anyway, an unhealthy amount of time researching for our budget (£80 - £90 tops) I shortlisted the Tom Tom One XL; the Garmin Nuvi 200W; the Navman S50 3D.

The Navman is increasingly becoming the top choice for us personally: the fact that it has Bluetooth handsfree (though I can't vouch for its reliability); 4.3" screen and a seemingly strong satellite pick up. The Tom Tom One XL, even though normally quite pricey, has a good price on a refurb one which fits in our budget.

Knowing very little about Sat Navs I had a conversation with a friend earlier today. He suggested checking whether or not the Sat Navs have an option to pre plan the route whereby you can travel a favoured route (say through a scenic route rather then the fastest route) - I can't recall the name he gave this and he mentioned this isn't the same as 'Via' (which I guess you would have to have an exact location/post code to enter into the Sat Nav of the town/village you wish to travel by).

Could you possibly let me know as to what this function is and whether or not the Navman s50 3d has this (or indeed any of the others)?

Many thanks.
soma.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the name of the function you are looking for is "Itinerary Planning" where you can force a device to navigate through specific points on the map. Most TomTom devices can do this, others will have to answer for the others.

One point I would mention though is map updates, you might be in trouble if you purchase a Navman unit and want new maps in 12 to 18 months they might not be available, also the Navman is poor for Speed Camera warnings as it has a limit to the number of POI locations it can store, this is lower than the number of speed cameras in the UK! - Mike
soma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Welcome to the forum, the name of the function you are looking for is "Itinerary Planning" where you can force a device to navigate through specific points on the map. Most TomTom devices can do this, others will have to answer for the others.

One point I would mention though is map updates, you might be in trouble if you purchase a Navman unit and want new maps in 12 to 18 months they might not be available, also the Navman is poor for Speed Camera warnings as it has a limit to the number of POI locations it can store, this is lower than the number of speed cameras in the UK! - Mike

Thanks Mike - itinerary planning - that's the one! Speed camera warnings I'm not entirely fussed about, but that map update is an important point. I forgot to mention my friend gave the same point: is this pretty exclusive to Navmans (and not TomToms and the Garmins?). If so then I think that would be more important than the handsfree option (which may or may not work as I would want it to anyhow).

Cheers Mike.
soma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

In my research this weekend (which is sending me close to the edge! I just want to choose a device sometime this week) I noticed that the Garmin has the Waypoint facility which is what I think my friend was also referring to? Whilst the Garmin has Waypoint it doesn't have itinerary (not sure whether the Navman S50 has waypoints) but might I get away with using waypoints (essentially to go 'via' a certain place on the way to another - often a slightly longer route but can more scenic etc) rather than the full itinerary planning function?

Many thanks.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect you will find Waypoint and "Itinerary Planning" are the same thing. Mariners and Aviators have used the term Waypoint since the beginning of time. I believe that "Marketing" (refer Dilbert cartoons) does not like to use "Waypoint" as it's too technical and complex for us luddites to understand, so they came up with a new phrase or the new phase sounds more exotic than it really is, and they take us all for idiots who don't knwo the difference.......

Maps - if map updates are an issue for you, Garmin is a very good choice. The reasons are they have a been around longer than all the others combined, and the Open source community are building maps, mostly in Garmin Formats. In a few years these are likely to be as good as commercial offerings, and are FREE by definition.

Whatever brand you buy, look at the track record for prices of updates- you will probably be stunned what a map update costs compared to a new device. Also look at how long they produce updates for the old systems - as indicated, Navman has a (arguably) poor record on both counts.
soma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
I expect you will find Waypoint and "Itinerary Planning" are the same thing. Mariners and Aviators have used the term Waypoint since the beginning of time. I believe that "Marketing" (refer Dilbert cartoons) does not like to use "Waypoint" as it's too technical and complex for us luddites to understand, so they came up with a new phrase or the new phase sounds more exotic than it really is, and they take us all for idiots who don't knwo the difference.......

Maps - if map updates are an issue for you, Garmin is a very good choice. The reasons are they have a been around longer than all the others combined, and the Open source community are building maps, mostly in Garmin Formats. In a few years these are likely to be as good as commercial offerings, and are FREE by definition.

Whatever brand you buy, look at the track record for prices of updates- you will probably be stunned what a map update costs compared to a new device. Also look at how long they produce updates for the old systems - as indicated, Navman has a (arguably) poor record on both counts.

Thanks Robert - exactly the advice I was after. I was reading up on the TomTom One Xl and it listed Itinerary and Waypoint as to seperate features hence my query. If it is indeed the same thing then this might sway me towards the Garmin. I had a look at a Nuvi 200W video and was impressed enough with the ease of menu and pleasant looks. As I'm none too keen on having a cig light cable trailing around my dash (I perhaps have OCD) the short life of the TomTom battery might not be acceptable. The garmin on the other hand has a much better battery life (up to 5 hours...or so I've read at least).
I was rather keen on the Navmans handsfree function but I can't guarantee that would be a success.

Yes - the updates are indeed costly. Given that I could probably pick up the Garmin Nuvi 200w for less than £80 I may as well just spend that each year on a new device (with updated features) rather than spend so much on the latest maps (and are they that essential?).

OK...closer than ever to picking up a Sat Nav.
Many thanks.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soma wrote:
not sure whether the Navman S50 has waypoints

It does. Navman calls this feature "Multi-stop trip" and it is "hidden" under Favourites. You can save more than one "multi-stop trip" for later use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: