Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Launch Active 10 Plus
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Launch Active 10 Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Satmap Launch Active 10 Plus Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comEagle eyed readers had spotted something was up earlier today when an on-line retailer leaked details of a possible new model but Satmap have now confirmed a new version of the Active 10 is now available.

Dubbed the Active 10 Plus, the new model shares the hardware base of the original Active 10 and adds a World Base Map and PostCode look-up to the feature list.

The Active 10 is already available in Holland and Norway and the addition of the world base map reflects these new markets with more to come. Maps for the new countries will be available by Easter.

The Plus includes free access to the Route Planner and Route Share network.

PostCode look-up is accessed from the routes menu of the Active 10 Plus. Users can select GoTo by grid reference or postcode. However disappointment for existing users with the news that due to licensing restrictions, this option cannot be used or supplied to earlier devices and will only be available on the Active 10 Plus.

The Active 10 Plus will retail at £379.99 and is expected to be available direct from www.satmap.com from March 23rd.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very happy about this at all. I saw somewhere that Satmap would be extending to cover the whole world and in fact their route planner does that. I spend a lot of time abroad on holiday and I was looking forward to the update when I would be able to use it. I took mine to Fueteventura but it would only act like a cheap GPS. I didnt expect to pay the money I paid to now be told within a few months that I will never be able to use it abroad and I need to buy a new one!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has said you cannot use it abroad? it is only PostCodes that will not be available to earlier devices.

Maps will be fully supported and available to buy from the Satmap store for ALL devices.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:
I didnt expect to pay the money I paid to now be told within a few months that I will never be able to use it abroad and I need to buy a new one!

Not true, if you read the announcement on the Satmap web site you will find the base map can be purchased for 39:99 for standard Active10 units, so all thats missing from your unit and mine is the postcode feature which will have rather limited use when locating the start of a walk in the country side. I will be interested to see what this World basemap looks like on the device though.

SatMap wrote:
As technology moves forward, Satmap tries to include all its customers so they too can benefit from the new features and functionality without having to invest in a new unit. For this reason, the company is pleased to be able to offer an update service for those Active 10 owners who would like to have the 1:5 million World Base Map. This service costs £39.99 plus postage and would suit anyone who plans to use their Active 10 abroad and wants to use the 1:5 million scale in conjunction with the local area topographical mapping. The World Base map is optional and not a requirement for using the unit outside of Great Britain.
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm missing something somewhere. I didnt realise there was a base map avaliable or I would of bought it. I'm not interested in the postcodes, wouldnt be a lot of good in the middle of a forest or up a mountain. If I needed to use a postcodes I would use my satnav! I will look into this base map now.

John
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only imagine that setting a straight line goto from a postcode migh occasionally be useful for locating holiday accomodation before booking, and sussing out the potential.

Type the postcode in here and it will give the grid "LR" to use in goto.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert&type=postcode&name=MK76AA

Achieves same purpose.

Last edited by 4ndynorfolk on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home and looked at the press release on the Satmap website :http://www.satmap.com/news.php?art_id=25

Interesting to note that the Active 10 Plus does not have the "Full GB OS Meridian 2 (vector) road mapping" featured on the Active 10. I presume that this is the street detail and street names.

I would have thought they were potentially more useful than postcodes.

I wonder if you lose this if you upgrade to world mapping.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it. I imagine with limited on-board memory something has to give to make way for the base map. It may not be the case for earlier units though as the base map may come on a memory card?
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the base map is put straight onto the device as according to the satmap site its a major upgrade and must be returned to Satmap (at your expense) also: 'IMPORTANT NOTE: due to the constraints on memory, installing the World Base Map requires the removal of the vector road map on the Active 10. The 1:250k road map and 1:1m Full GB map will remain.'

I'm tempted and could of used it last week. Has anyone tried it and is it worth it? What do you think of it?

John
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading the details of the base map upgrade on Satmaps site it says this: 'At 1:30m you get an overview of the world, and once you have zoomed through the different layers down to 1:5m you will see the major roads, towns and cities in every country.

Does this mean ONLY the roads, towns and cities? Wouldn't be a lot of interest to me, my Mio does most of the world at this level and probably more. The reason I bought the Active 10 was to use it off road, be able to carry it and the the battery life.

Does it show a topographical map? I love to go abroad and lose myself up a mountain track somewhere and the idea was with the active 10 I can find my way back again!!!

Again has anyone tried this? If not I will email Satmap and ask them.

|John
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very reassuring that the 'new model' doesn't add anything useful in the hardware department.
Will the Active 10 Classic be discontinued?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the £379 also includes a Lithium Polymer Battery, Wall charger with multi-country adapters; Voucher – 1/3 off 60km² site-centred map (worth £35); Voucher – Route Planner & Share Forum (worth £79.99).
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world map is at 1:5,000,000. This is a v limited scale.

I found that 1:300,000 is about the limit for cycling using back roads when I cycled across Europe and the Middle East in the 90s.

I don't think it would be much better than an imported route on a blank screen for walking.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: