Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoiding traffic ignores toll preference
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoiding traffic ignores toll preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Avoiding traffic ignores toll preference Reply with quote

Has anybody else noticed the following symptoms.

If I plan a route from St. Albans to Brands Hatch, it asks me if I want to avoid a toll road on my route (i.e. the Dartford crossing), and then routes me through London.

I noticed that the route it planned included traffic (21 minutes of delay on the A12 Bow-Blackwall currently). Browsing the map, I saw that there was no reported delay on the A1011 or indeed some other nearby roads, and would expect this to be quicker than 21 min so, I selected minimise traffic delays to try and force it to avoid this delay. When I did so, it planned a new route via the Dartford Crossing, completely ignoring my original instruction to avoid this.

Anybody else seen this? Anybody else expect the original route to avoid the A12 delay? Anybody know if I'm doing anything wrong in expecting it to avoid the toll, or at least ask me again to avoid it?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you really drive through London and all the delays to avoid paying £1+ at the Dartford Crossing?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to replicate exactly but I've just tried it and said no to the tolls and it routed me clockwise round the M25 avoiding Dartford Bridge Crossing.....
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Would you really drive through London and all the delays to avoid paying £1+ at the Dartford Crossing?

Laughing Out Loud Its £1.50 Laughing
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

That's what I was trying to figure out.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Difficult to replicate exactly but I've just tried it and said no to the tolls and it routed me clockwise round the M25 avoiding Dartford Bridge Crossing.....

Where exactly did it tell you to cross the river then? If you stay on the M25 clockwise from St. Albans until the M20, you have gone over the Dartford Crossing.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry meant anti clockwise at the time......

Running it now it starts to go clockwise and then cuts through London. Even with heavy traffic and telling it to Minimise Delays it still goes through London. I can't get it to go via the bridge at all...

What hardware, NavCore and Maps are you using?
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Sorry meant anti clockwise at the time......

Running it now it starts to go clockwise and then cuts through London. Even with heavy traffic and telling it to Minimise Delays it still goes through London. I can't get it to go via the bridge at all...

What hardware, NavCore and Maps are you using?

Should be the lastest on all counts.

540/8.310/825.2157

Just tried again, and it does the same thing (note: it's about the same time of day too). First route comes off M25 at M11 and proceeds through london via Blackwall tunnell, avoiding toll. 22 minutes of queues for Blackwall tunnell (A12 southbound approach from the north), so manually select minimise delays...this re-routes via Dartford.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done some further experimentation, and seen some alarming results.

The initial route, avoiding the toll road comes out at a claimed time of 1:53 hours (with now 21 min of traffic on route)
If I select minimise delays/fastest route, it comes at 1:21 but goes via the toll at Dartford
If I instead select minimise delays/avoid all delays, it comes out at 1:31, and does indeed avoid the toll at Dartford (again going via Blackwall, but arriving there via a different route)

It seems that:-

1) When planning to avoid a toll, traffic is disregarded (the 1:31 demonstarates that a faster route was available)
2) When avoiding traffic by the "fastest route" means, the previously asked toll question is ignored, and not re-asked.

What's going on? Why didin't it plan the 1:31 route when I avoided the toll, and whey did the "fastest route" not avoid the toll (NB: it was indeed faster, but I wanted the "fastest route which avoids the toll")
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have set under

Change Preferences, Planning Preferences (6 of 8), under "How do want to handle toll roads?"
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
"How do want to handle toll roads?"

Ask

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: