Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap On-Line Route Planner Goes Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap On-Line Route Planner Goes Live
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Satmap On-Line Route Planner Goes Live Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSatmap's Route Planner has today been officially launched. Previously available in Beta, the On-Line Route Planner and Route Share website application is now available for use by all Satmap owners.

Route Planner is based on Microsoft's Virtual Earth platform incorporates global road mapping and satellite images. More importantly is has map layers from Ordnance Survey available in in 1:25k Explorer and 1:40k Landranger scales for the whole of Great Britain. That's over £7,500 worth of maps.

Satmap users can plan routes and download them onto their Active10's and also edit uploaded routes, view elevation profiles and print out paper versions as backups for use whilst walking!

Route Share uses Google Maps and again provides global mapping with satellite and terrain views and also 3D aerial photo views. Users can share routes and categorise them by difficulty, length, activity type etc. Other users can review routes they have downloaded and comment on them and a search facility is also provided.

Both services are free to users whom purchased Active 10 devices prior to 23rd March 2009 and registered prior to 1st April 2009. For other customers the service costs £79.99. For Mac users a compatible version is scheduled for later this year.

www.Satmap.com
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Been looking forward to this one Very Happy
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so now it's gone live, can we comment on this forum?

Whilst I don'tr want to detrcat from what Satmap have done, I'm very disa ppointed with this. To get the 1:25K scale up, the area covered is so small that frankly it is easier to plan the route directly on the Satmap.

With all the fuss about it I really thought it would be based on something other than Google maps. If the map view was full screen it would be brilliant, but as it is, with the 1:25k map starting at about one mile square I don't think I will be using it much.
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I print out a route, should I expect to get a print out of the route as displayed on screen? For example, if I have my route displayed on screen on the OS 1:50K overlay, all I get when printing is the route on the base map, not the OS map. Am I missing something, or is it supposed to be like this? (An OS licence restriction maybe?)Also, I notice that on the website, it is still described as Beta. Am I somehow still accessing the beta version (I've gone in through the front page, rather than my previously saved favourite)

Agree with the point raised about small area displayed on screen, but generally pleased with the utility
Rick
dave-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor wrote:
OK, so now it's gone live, can we comment on this forum?

You have just done so!

I have not got my SatMap serial No with me so have not tried to plan a route as yet and I will probably not. I am more interested in the route share section and - from what I can see - it looks quite good. Visualising a route quite interesting.

I do have a very slight problem though - I cannot read the text on the forum! The combination of colours of orange on light orange and orange on grey are impossible to read if you have any form of sight problem - especially colour rendition Rolling Eyes Exclamation

I need to have a word in someones shell like ear Wink
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed that many if not most of the problems I reported in the beta trial are still there. Sad
Satsync 1.525
Tony_P1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is still the beta version of the route planner. The urls would suggest so, as would the lack of functionality of some of the menu items.

Puzzled Tony
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Satmap are going to charge for access to the new features should we get credits for uploading routes? It must increase the value of the facility to them. Otherwise we could instead upload our routes here - something that not many people have taken up so far.
Satsync 1.525
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I click on a route that someone else has uploaded on 'route share', it gives me the option to download the file, but on the same page the route or map doesn't show up in the window.
This as never worked for me, but I presumed it was because I was useing the trial version. Will this be rectified as people start uploading routes on the official route planner or am I doing something wrong.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When or if Satmap are going to make improvements is a question you will have to put to them.

I have noticed that once I have looked at a route once on route share I cannot look at it again unless I completely restart the application or click on "Earth" which seem to reset things so that I can look at it a second time. Don't know if this is the same problem that you are having but it sounds similar.

Hope that helped.
Satsync 1.525
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, but I can't view the routes at all. The window is there with the arrows to move around, zoom in and out etc., but the box is just white, even if I click on the terrain, earth tabs etc.
KevinDublin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why anyone would pay for this. You can do much the same on www.bikehike.co.uk and many other route planning sites. bikehike uses the 1:50,000 OS but not the 1:25,000 which satmap has. But the area is so small in 1:25,000 on satmap as to make it useless. You get a much larger map area in bikehike and you can toggle between google maps and OS. The routes can be downloaded in .gpx and uploaded to the satmap using satSYNC in the normal way. I tried the beta version of satmap route planning and then went back to bikehike. I was really surprised when I saw they want people to pay for it. I won't be using it even for free.

Kevin
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickwiggans wrote:
Also, I notice that on the website, it is still described as Beta. Am I somehow still accessing the beta version (I've gone in through the front page, rather than my previously saved favourite)
Rick

Yes I am still getting it showing as Beta as well,I don't know if this is correct or not.I must admit it does not seem much different to the Beta so perhaps this is an error.

None of the suggestions I made seem to have been incorporated ( not,I hasten to add are SatMap obliged to do so ).

A screen filling map would have been better,perhaps OS restrictions though..

Ian
Martin-R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:

None of the suggestions I made seem to have been incorporated ( not,I hasten to add are SatMap obliged to do so ).

Me too! But things like the map being so small, the un-useable color scheme, the handling of files with large numbers of waypoints, the very confusing switch in map controls between the two sites... they all detract, and it certainly doesn't look like 80 quids' worth to me.

I'm also still worried about things like this:

Route Stats
Difficulty: medium

Type & Approx Time: Family Walking: 5 hr 30 min

And this is the description for....? Yep, you guessed it: the Snowdon Horsehoe, taking in Crib Goch, Crib y Ddysgl, Yr Wyddfa (aka Snowdon), Y Lliwedd. Family walking?!
scamp15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just a quick question, when i try to delete a waypoint it goes through the process but does not delete the point. Anyone having this problem? I am using firefox on a mac but it also does it on a pc using xp.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: