Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'Isolated' spliter cables
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'Isolated' spliter cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: 'Isolated' spliter cables Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, so here seems as good as any.

Also apologies for the length, but it's a little technical.

I have an intercom system on my motorcycle which I use to talk to my pillion passenger and also accept telephone calls. I also have a PDA (Dell Axim) running TomTom 3. I want to add the voice output from the PDA into the intercom system.

The intercom system has two inputs. One for phone/GPS and another for music. The idea is that any signal comming in via the music input will be muted whenever a signal is received via the phone/GPS input.

The intercom manufacturer sells a special 'splitter' cable with a built-in 'isolator' or 'filter' to allow both the GPS and phone to share the same intercom input channel. The input to the intercom system is a standard 3.5mm sterio audio connector. This special lead costs £30 and was apparently originaly developed for the Garmain StreetPilot III.

My question is, does anyone know what the issues are in this scenario and what components/wiring is likely to be in this special lead?

If it helps, both the PDA and the Intercom are powered by the bike electrics so will share a common ground/earth etc.

For now, I am simply going to feed the GPS audio into the music input and take a (very small) risk that I may miss a GPS instruction if I am currently receiving a telephone call.

Any (constructive Smile ) comments greatfully received.

Regards,

Glenn
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Isolated' spliter cables Reply with quote

glennk wrote:
For now, I am simply going to feed the GPS audio into the music input and take a (very small) risk that I may miss a GPS instruction if I am currently receiving a telephone call.

Hi glennk. The quick answer is - yes good idea mate.

The long answer is....It's an audio fact that it's best not to directly couple 2 audio outputs directly together, normally you 'buffer' them with an amplifier or at least some resistance. - Thats what the isolator is for (just like 2 inputs on a mixing desk).

The phone and the PDA have LOW OUTPUT impedances (which can be regarded as resistance) and the intercom has a HIGH INPUT impedance. In this way very little current is drawn from the phone or PDA when they are individually feeding the intercom.

The isolation unit is there because if you couple the phone and PDA directly together they will both be 'looking' at each other's low impedance which will cause alot more current to be drawn - there is a risk of serious audio distortion or even that you might damage the output stage of either unit. It might be OK, but I wouldn't risk it.

Hope this helps Thumbs Up

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: