Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to install v8.25/re-install backup copy...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to install v8.25/re-install backup copy...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Unable to install v8.25/re-install backup copy... Reply with quote

Hope someone can help. I've had a look around the forum but can't find anything on this exact subject.

I've spent most of the day trying to download V8.25 WCE map onto my TT920.

Eventually I downloaded it (it must have crashed with time out errors a dozen times!).

But when I tried to install the map it says I do not have enough disk space. I presumed it would overwrite the previous version??

Anyway, I deleted WCE from my unit and then tried... but got the same message and when I try and install a backup from last week I get the same message again.

Any help appreciated as I'm now feeling thoroughly wracked off.

Would it have anything to do with installing it with my recently bought Mac Book? Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's as simple as actually not having enough space.

How much space have you got now you've removed the old map?

W+CE v825 is 1.94 GB (2,085,841,665 bytes).

You might need to remove some unused voices or get an SD card to put the map on. Usually Home tells you how much space you need to find. How much is that?

The only odd thing is where you say you cannot install an old backup. how are you doing this? With Home or by 'copy and paste'?
Copy and paste is the best method because you can see exactly what is going on and where you are losing the space. Obviously an backup of stuff that USED to fit, will STILL fit if you have removed everything else first.
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I've just had a look at my contents in Home.

I've deleted the Guam map and still have the US map.

Strangely I have used 3832.5mb and only have 10.4mb left??

I have a copy and pasted backup of my TT with my original WCE map. I just can't understand how I can't just copy and paste that back in.

My understanding is that even I delete the US map, I still won't have enough space.

Is it the way I've deleted the WCE map by deleting it from the finder/File explorer rather than using Home?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the spoken voice capability of the device? if not remove the cspeechXYZ files from the map folders. this will reduce the folder size considerably, both the US and European map. (Copy the cspeechXYZ files to the PC before removing them).
Once you get the map on the device just put the UK and IRL cspeech files back in the European map folder and the spoken commands will work while in the UK.

As for the file size being reported by the software try using Windows Explorer, right click the drive letter associated with the device and select Properties, this will give a true figure rather than Homes attempt to guess or dream up a figure - Mike
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Just tried that and still not enough space.

Using a Mac but the equivalent of windows explorer gives me the same memory reading as Home.

Is it a formatting issue in that when I deleted WCE it hasn't cleared the space to allow a similar size file to be copied in?

What volume should the internal memory be in a TT920?

Strange that even without the WCE map, it is only saying I have 10.4mb of free disk space when I would have need about 1.7mb for the original map.
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, and not trying to sound too stupid.

When using home and looking at the remove contents section, it is showing items on my device (3832.5mb) and then on my computer it is showing the new WCE map at 2034.5mb (plus the new application 8.302 and quickfix gps data). But I guess this is the new downloaded map that I have been trying to install so don't want to remove this.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong if the PC is reporting only 10MB spare after you have deleted a Western European map which will have been around 1,7GB the actual flash memory within the device is 3,82GB

he other option you have is to put the map on a memory card and pop that into the device as the Go x20/ x30 devices can see data stored on either medium - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to answer this one! Are the files you deleted still in Trash? Bizarrely Mac's don't release the used space in a removable disk until any files removed have been emptied from Trash.

Empty Trash and re-check the available space on the TT?
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Big thanks.

Your plan worked and I've managed to install the new 8.25 version.

I did wonder last night about the trash but didn't want to risk permanently deleting everything in there after all the changes I was making.

Now to re-install my POI's, favourites etc.

Fab forum. Thanks again.

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught me out a while back when I was trying to empty a 1GB US memstick. Couldn't work out what the heck was going on!

Glad to hear you're sorted though and thanks to MikeA for pointing me at the thread in the first place.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well remembered, Darren Smile

At least Macs send the deleted files somwhere!

I'm amazed on Windows that if you delete a file on a network drive they are gone forever, and the storage on the Go's seems to be the same.

Having just deleted some screen grabs from a TT this morning, I would be interested to know if there is any way to put a "trash can" on it?!?!
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ok with a day using the new map. Quite impressed with the lane guidance and the IQ routes seem an improvement over the existing map...well going from Reading to Andover anyway.

A couple of questions for future reference.

I guess that in future when I install a new map I need to delete the map I want to replace first (and delete it from trash)? In other words the new map doesn't overwrite it?

I copied in my speed cameras from my backup of a couple of days ago along with other POI's. However all my spoken warnings have gone. Is there an easy way to copy these in too or do I need to re-enter them all?

Thanks again for all the advice.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday, we in North America were finally offered the map subscription. So, I upgraded (on my 720) from my 810 map to the current 825 NA map. The 810 map resided on a 4 gig sdhc card in my unit and I selected that storage location for the installation of the new map. The 825 did indeed overwrite my 810 map and my custom ov2 files which were in my 810 map folder automatically got transferred to the 825 map folder.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stocky69 wrote:
A couple of questions for future reference.

I guess that in future when I install a new map I need to delete the map I want to replace first (and delete it from trash)? In other words the new map doesn't overwrite it?

Yes or you can 'move' the existing map to a folder on your Mac using Apple + drag. This will move it off the GO and avoids the Trashcan issue.
Quote:
I copied in my speed cameras from my backup of a couple of days ago along with other POI's. However all my spoken warnings have gone. Is there an easy way to copy these in too or do I need to re-enter them all.

If you have a backup of the file mapsettings.cfg then just copy that across. That is the file that contains the alert config.

If you haven't then you'll need to re-do them but if you follow the copy old map approach next time you'll have a backup of the config file.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a copy of the working map folder on your computer (a BackUp) then you can delete the old map when update time comes around.
As for the Speed Camera warnings, you will have to reset all of them (5 mins of a job) as the new software and map will have have deleted the old file that these parameters were stored in. No point in copying an old MapSettings.cfg file from the old map folder to the new one, as the new Navcore software is unable to read to the old file where these settings were stored - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: