Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Returned my 940 - long time untill I buy tomtom again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Returned my 940 - long time untill I buy tomtom again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quackers88 wrote:
ok falkirk81, in respect of the N95 you may have a point but certainly not with the Motorola V3 or the Sony Ericsson K800i. Both these phones are supported but still crashed the 530 and the 730.

My son uses his SE K800i with his 520, and I use my K810i with my 720 without problems.

It seems strange that so many phones that others find compatible are causing both your devices to crash. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Quackers88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the fact that certain phones work with the 520 and 720 is no proof they will work with the 530 or 730.
The fact of the matter is that all 3 phones, when connected for handsfree use to the 530 and 730 result in the loss of sound output from the TT, No callers voice can be heard and my voice cannot be heard by the caller. Kate's voice disappears. The phones can work fine for a while and then the fault occurs. It takes about 10 seconds just to turn the TT off then sometimes it will freeze on the shutdown image. Sometimes it will just reboot itself. When the TT is back on it will connect to the phones and work normally for a while.
If no phone is connected the TT runs fault-free.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I had problems with callers not hearing me on the last trip, and prior to that I would have to delete the phone and re-install quite often as it wouldn't recognise the phone, and that was with my sony ericsson K810i
Quackers88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Quackers88 wrote:
ok falkirk81, in respect of the N95 you may have a point but certainly not with the Motorola V3 or the Sony Ericsson K800i. Both these phones are supported but still crashed the 530 and the 730.

My son uses his SE K800i with his 520, and I use my K810i with my 720 without problems.

It seems strange that so many phones that others find compatible are causing both your devices to crash. Confused

It seems it is not that unusual

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=74601
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Quackers88 wrote:
I bought a Go530 from Argos, after checking whether it would connect for handsfree use with my Nokia N95. Within 2 days the 530 was crashing, after losing all voice output. I later found out that it was due to incompatibilities with my phone's bluetooth. Unfortunately I replaced it with a Go730T within the week. The 730T is going back too.

Not wanting to start another argument on this thread, but exactly where did you find that the n95 was an approved phone to be used with the 530 and/or 730?

On the Tomtom phones compatibility site, the n95 is NOT listed as an approved phone.

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/devices.php?deviceId=24 for the 730.

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/devices.php?deviceId=25 for the 530.

Imagine a bluetooth headset manufacturer producing a device not compatible with an N95, they wouldn't last long, it's one of the most popular phones out there. I wish I'd never bought my 540 and tried a garmin or something.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quackers88 wrote:
It seems that the fact that certain phones work with the 520 and 720 is no proof they will work with the 530 or 730.
The fact of the matter is that all 3 phones, when connected for handsfree use to the 530 and 730 result in the loss of sound output from the TT, No callers voice can be heard and my voice cannot be heard by the caller. Kate's voice disappears. The phones can work fine for a while and then the fault occurs. It takes about 10 seconds just to turn the TT off then sometimes it will freeze on the shutdown image. Sometimes it will just reboot itself. When the TT is back on it will connect to the phones and work normally for a while.
If no phone is connected the TT runs fault-free.

I have had 1 520, 3 (or 4) 720s and a 920 - all of which did exactly the same as above with every version of Navcore released with a Motorola V3, Nokia 6300 and a HTC TyTN II. They were all taken back and exchanged for hands free faults. At one point I got the guy in the shop to call me and proved to them that I couldn't hear them, but they could hear me. Also quite comical was the early 520s that had a really loud buzzing on the handsfree.

I have basically given up on hands free with the TT - the number of resets you have to do mid journey when using hands free is diabolical. The next purchase will either be a basic model TT that doesn't promise loads of functions that don't work, or a non TT device. I am even considering a £50 Binatone piece of crap from Asda to get me from A to B as the TT now seems incapable of doing that without rebooting, losing audio etc. ClearFlash has become my new best friend!

Apparently the Binatones use WinCE and you can run PDA versions of TT on them if the supplied software and maps are useless!

Andy
Quackers88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy it must be the air up here. I'm in Bury, Laughing Out Loud.
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 920 about 9 months ago I had about 4 days of problems trying to get the latest map updates, as sonypc100 did.....copy of receipt, serial numbers, about 5 screen grabs, phone calls, emails back and fourth to them......absolutely infuriating when you have just paid out your hard earned cash. When you ring TT all you seem to get are so called help desk operatorss that only yesterday had learned to cut up and fed themselves for the first time.
Touch wood I have had no issues with my unit, but what I do have near my home, is the so called very latest maps directing me down a single width, un-tarmaced farm track road, with a locked a gate halfway down it and water filled holes that tractors would have difficulty getting through...my 920 wants to send me this way BUT my none updated 6 year old iPOD 3900 with TT navigation on doesn't. I have submitted map corrections till I am blue in the face, but still the same old incorrect data on the latest map. It does make me wonder in what direction TomTom are going....I do hope its not the same way as Woolworths !!! but if it does they have nobody to blame but themselves.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with more and more mobiles having built in GPS then stand alone unit sales will surely be taking a nose dive. Up to now it has only been high end mobiles that have had GPS included but its now filtering down to your average mobile phone I wouldnt imagine sales will increase.

Like you say you have an old unit that is giving you correct info and a high end tomtom that isnt.

Sure, there will always be a market for the 940 etc for people who must have the top of the range gadget or high milers who actually utilise some of the features on the road.

But Joe Public needs to get from A to B with clear directions on a clear screen, something tomtom does well with an £80 One unit, it seems to be falling down on the service/delivery/promises of its high end units.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
But Joe Public needs to get from A to B with clear directions on a clear screen, something tomtom does well with an £80 One unit, it seems to be falling down on the service/delivery/promises of its high end units.

Too right - as long as you do not use any of the features that you bought an x20 or x30 for (TTS, BT Handsfree etc) they work fine.

Andy
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Too right - as long as you do not use any of the features that you bought an x20 or x30 for (TTS, BT Handsfree etc) they work fine.

Andy

...Yes sir, and which particular TomTom One navigation unit are you interested in; would that be the TomTom One Version 3, or the TomTom One version 4 and we have the Tomtom One XL Version 1 also the TomTom One XL version 2 ?

Oh, the TomTom One XL version 2 looks very nice thank you.

Yes sir, now would that be the widescreen version or the standard with glare free glass?

Well, I think the glare free would be fine for my purposes.

Yes sir, and would that be in black or silver?

Er, I think the black would be fine thank you.

Yes sir, and which particular application would you want with that, is it the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver 2nd Edition (v3.75) with Bluetooth or,
the TomTom High Definition HD LiveTraffic receiver ?

OH for Gods sake give me a Garmin out of that cabinet over there will you.
and I'll take the free balloons that go with it at the same time.!!!
TT Go 5200
UK/ROI and Worldwide
Samsung S8
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Sonypc100 its a shame more people don't send 'em back maybe TT would take an interest. I'll not buy another TT again!!!!
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TT have shot themselves in the foot by trying too hard to please everyone. We said we wanted up to date maps, so they gave us map share and quarterly updates. Unfortunately with new maps they also chose to issue application upgrades with enhacements as well. This has been a drain on their resources trying to get all the different versions developed, tested and bug fixed.

Why they chose to have sepersate applications for each generation X20, X30, X40 etc I don't know.

All this at the same time as developing technological improvements such as HD traffic, LMG, Text to speech etc.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then at least they should hold their hands up, admit the issues, offer refunds for services that have not functioned/delivered and keep them free until they work!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: