Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route plan details not available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route plan details not available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonofabove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Route plan details not available Reply with quote

When in "Route Menu", selecting "View" and then selecting "Profile"...I would expect to see details such as "Max Altitude" and a graphical representation of my active planned route (Note: not trip data, I mean the Route Plan). However, all I get in the route plan, is; Total Distance, Approx time and nothing else. The graph from waypoint one to end position is a flat yellow line - can anyone enlighten me as to why I may not be seeing a full graphical representation of my route?

(I'm running V1.3)

Thanks
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you are using an imported file (i.e. coming in via a .gpx file). Such files do not import height data onto the A10. If you create a route on the A10 I think you will find that it does have height data as will a route created from a track.

Does that make sense?
Satsync 1.525
nonofabove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense and you are correct, I am using imported gpx files, but some are created using the online Satmap route planner, so it's a little frustrating that even those gpx files do not import height data. Perhaps, Satmap can address this with v1.3x?

Thanks for your help, LostMike.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this comment in the Satsync guide
Quote:
Q: I’ve got a GPX file that will not import.
A: We support standard GPX files however there are many variants of GPX. If you are
experiencing problems importing your route please check the file: if there is a lot of
information in there other than a simple route file (e.g. pictures, large text files, etc), then
this is not a standard GPX file and will not be compatible.

Of course, I don't know what the expected content of Satmap's 'standard' gpx file is, but it may hint that even if some files are accepted, only certain fields may be converted.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonofabove said
Quote:
it's a little frustrating that even those gpx files do not import height data. Perhaps, Satmap can address this with v1.3x

I doubt that they will given the way that the A10 handles height data. For all points for which you have a map it has heights for all points already held internally so why would it want to import a potentially conflicting set of data? You have the choice when using it to pick up height data from the map or from the satellite but I doubt they would want to include a third option which would only be valid for a few points exactly on the plot.

If you want your imported file to show heights what you need to do is edit each waypoint once you have imported it. Just a minor jiggle of the joystick will get the A10 to pick up height data from the map. As you walk the route the trail will automatically pick up data from the map or satellite, whichever you have chosen.
Satsync 1.525
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
There is also this comment in the Satsync guide
Quote:
Q: I’ve got a GPX file that will not import.
A: We support standard GPX files however there are many variants of GPX. If you are
experiencing problems importing your route please check the file: if there is a lot of
information in there other than a simple route file (e.g. pictures, large text files, etc), then
this is not a standard GPX file and will not be compatible.

Of course, I don't know what the expected content of Satmap's 'standard' gpx file is, but it may hint that even if some files are accepted, only certain fields may be converted.

What you dug out of the Satsync guide is interesting, Satmap may support standard GPX files but the downloaded file from the route planner is anything but standard. A standard GPX file must be well formed XML and the <cmt/> is not well formed. You are both right there is no height data. It's also a shame that the route planner does not give total ascent for created routes, it would compensate for the poor Satmap ascent calculation.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of height data in gpx files is an OS licensing restriction.

Apps that use OS map data (Memory Map is the same) cannot include OS height data in exported gpxs without an additional license fee. I'd imagine the same applies to the Route Planner.

Where the Satmap falls down is that it does not then automatically use it's own mapping altitude data to display the imported route's profile. Other mapping GPS units that I've used (RA7000 for example) do do this.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth mentioning to Satmap (if not done already!) in connection with the Beta trial??
Squeakyboots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Beta versions of Route Planner etc. Reply with quote

As a new subscriber who has been following the Satmap section for some months, I understood that the Beta versions of the Route Plan and Rout Share were for prsonal evaluation and that any feedback or, in some cases adverse comments, were to be forwarded direct to Satmap as part of the overall development procass of the product and not to be shared as 'criticism' of the product on this site.

I have only recently purchased my satmap after using a Magellan SportTrack Colour with great succes over several years and the Satmap is a quantum leap forward from anything else I have encountered. It is not perfect, (but who or what is?) but the great advantage that I see is that Satmap are taking a keen interest in the product development and support with the clear intention of improving the product (unlike my experience with Magellan).

I am therefore, somewhat disappointed to see that some people are using this forum to raise 'problems' with the Beta version on this site rather than simply sending their feedback and issues straight to Satmap.

The Active 10 is an excellent product that deserves our wholehearted support and I am concerned that some of the negative comments about the company and the product can only serve to undermine an excellent system, particularly to those people who are reading this site with a view to purchasing a new GPS.

I have read many comments suggesting that Satmap are a new company and may nor survive in the current climate but with such an excellent product with great company support we should be celebrating these factors whilst at the same time being realistic about areas for improvement.

No I don't work for Satmap but I do believe strongly that an excellent product should be celebrated.
Activator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Great 1st post.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that it is quite out of order and unhelpful to moan about issues, particularly the Beta trial, which is bound to have them. It can also be a bit difficult to be sure that people ARE sending their comments/problems to Satmap as requested, as well as airing them on here, especially if they are posting in a different thread (LIKE THIS ONE! Cool Laughing) .

But I think it IS important that people DO raise problems on here (as well as sending Satmap the info Exclamation Idea Exclamation ) as long as they keep their comments reasonably neutral in tone. In some cases others can help with any misuderstanding or suggest a workaround. In others, the combined views and experience on here must give Satmap much more useful information than an isolated private bleat! - as Satmap have specifically asked us to give it a workout, is there any value in the moderators suggesting to them that they actually do refer to this site's discussions, possibly over the various threads?,
grumpytyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst agreeing with the above but getting back to the original topic....
I seem to have had similar problems to a few people with uploading routes from my computer i.e. routes not showing but there, visible but no name, disapearing when unit turned off and this one no data on profile apart from distance and aprox time.so i`ve had a good play about using differant methods. I`ve uploaded from Tracklogs V2, Mem Map and the route planner and it is possible to get height data onto sat map.
Planned in Tracklogs V2 saved as traklogs file converted using GPSbabel saved as gpx file uploaded using Satsync to A10 memory (appears no name) rename and saved to SD card has distance, total ascents,total descnts, max & Min and aprox time plus profile covered in green dots which give grid ref Cool
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Route plan details not available Reply with quote

LostMike said:-
Quote:
I suspect that you are using an imported file (i.e. coming in via a .gpx file). Such files do not import height data onto the A10

This is not correct. If the imported gpx contains elevation data, this is imported into the A10 and used for route profile information. The problem is finding such files with elevation data. One such source is a route or track from another gps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: