Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New v8.302 software available for x20/x30 models, AND ????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
More probable to be a software issue rather than supply issue - Mike

I reckon its more likely to be one of the nuts in the software department.

It maybe software causing the dimming initially. Presumably the software creates electric currents to flow through an amplifier section to cause even larger currents to flow through the coils of the loud speaker. However the end result is current flowing in some part of the circuitry which is larger than it used to be with last working version 8.010
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you tow a caravan?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
mikealder wrote:
More probable to be a software issue rather than supply issue - Mike
Presumably the software creates electric currents to flow through an amplifier section to cause even larger currents to flow through the coils of the loud speaker. However the end result is current flowing in some part of the circuitry which is larger than it used to be with last working version 8.010

But that wouldn't explain the entirely similar dimming you got when one of the messages with white text on black background appears on screen (such as "writing route instructions" or "Phone not connected")
Just software glitches...
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software features Andy, software features[b] Me Me Me
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But that wouldn't explain the entirely similar dimming you got when one of the messages with white text on black background appears on screen (such as "writing route instructions" or "Phone not connected")
Just software glitches...

But why does it dim on battery but not on charger. Surely the software is doing the same job both ways.

On mine with white text on black background messages it also speaks the messages

Edited by Anita to show Andy_P's quote correctly
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
On mine with white text on black background messages it also speaks the messages
If this is a complaint, that is because you have ticked "Read aloud warnings" on second page of Voice Preferences.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:

But why does it dim on battery but not on charger. Surely the software is doing the same job both ways.

Not exactly the same because in the battery situation it would presumably have to deal with interrupts (or similar) reporting that the voltage was dropping that presumably it would not have if the charger was connected.

If it is now (8.302) tipping priority in favour of sustaining the voice, it may simply not be getting back to refreshing the screen fast enough, if it is also having to handle "Warning - we have a battery problem". When I saw it on my device, it looked to me like it was just not refreshing the screen, i.e. the displayed image was decaying vs. being dimmed per se.

Also it was truly a bug, it could well have some part of the circuitry turned on when it shouldn't, draining the battery, only when on battery. (E.g. Early Palms would burn up its 2 AAA batteries in a couple of weeks even if not used much, which was finally fixed in a software update when the engineers realised that they had a diode turned on which should never be turned on in production - it just got left on from a lab test prior to release. Increased the battery life by 8 fold!)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:

For me, it does....
I never use it on battery, only on charger, and it DOES flash the brightness.
nleaney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is related but I have a 530 and TMC receiver. Been having problems receiving TMC data so contacted TT support who sent me a troubleshooting guide which talks of setting the TMC region and the status indicating what channel it has tuned into.

I'm running 8.302 and get none of the menu items or status updates it refers to. Just a notice that says that RDS-TMC has been installed and a 'Searching for signal' status message in the traffic screen.

On the one or two occassions it has got a signal it doesn;t tell me what it is tuned to. I just get a green dot and a status telling me when the last update was received.

For troubleshooting purposes I'd like confidence that it is tuned into an appropriate channel etc...can anyone tell me if this feature was available in firmware for the 530 prior to 8.302?

Nigel
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel, it was quite a while ago the ability to display the frequency in use was removed (prior to the release of the x30 range as far as I can remember). You still have the option to tune manually though, I much prefered the old way RDS-TMC worked as it offered more information, but I guess when its working you don't need to know the frequency involved.

You should have the POI file by now and from that you can work out where the nearest transmitter is to your location, RDS reception can be problematic in certain parts of the UK, where are you based? - Mike
nleaney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the POI. I'm based in Cambridge and make regular drives around the M25 and M4 to Bracknell.

Had a signal just once (took nearly an hour to get one though) so far. Need to play around with the aerial position more I think. hadn;t thought that running close to the pillars would cause a problem so will try moving inwards a bit first.

I had a TT One with GPRS traffic prior to this one. The TT One kept resetting mid journey and generally misbehaving so I thought i'd upgrade and while at it, switch to TMC to save the hassle and expebse of a separate phone with a 3G data sim in (since I can't use TT with my iPhone).

Seems I've swapped one bad of worms for another!

I like the 530 otherwise. If I had confidence in another manufacturer's TMC implementation (the forums seem to say everyone is as bad as each other) I'd probably return the 530 in favour of a Garmin etc.

Nigel
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nleaney wrote:
If I had confidence in another manufacturer's TMC implementation (the forums seem to say everyone is as bad as each other)

Sadly what you have concluded is a very good summary of the whole RDS-TMC issue in the UK, when it works great, but combine the reception problems and poor data feeds and its best treated as a guide to potential problems, I no longer trust the traffic systems on navigation devices - I would like to think they can improve, but it might be a long wait - Mike
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder manages to make most things function in some shape or form and can be found on this forum giving solutions to things that dont work so when even he has lost faith in traffic it makes me feel a bit less of a gloom-merchant posting my thoughts on it since I have a much more 'out of the box' approach to my expectations.
Holux GPSslim
hazzamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
I tried my 520 with 8.302 and 8.10 maps today. It was running on battery and fairly well discharged. Every voice instruction was accompanied by the screen dimming on and off in time with the voice stuttering. It's as if the voice is draining all the electrical power.

Plugging the charger in cured it.

I have experienced this exact problem. 520 Music Edition w/ Navcore 8.302 and 8.25 maps.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malouff wrote:
Here are the direct download links for people that don't use home.
Go x20 Series

I've been running 8.320 (Work) very happily on my 920T to get rid of the stutter I had on 8.3. Home doesn't offer me 8.302, presumably because it doesn't see it as an update for me.

Two questions -

Should I get back to the mainstream by installing 8.302 or should I go with the policy of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

How do I get 8.302 onto my 920T? Do I need to restore a pre-8.320 backup when Home should find it or can I just extract the cab file and overwrite any files with it?

TIA

Regards

norm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: