Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's Have Gone Off Road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's Have Gone Off Road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: POI's Have Gone Off Road Reply with quote

Currently running a 720 with 815 Maps and 8.302 but have noticed since updating to 8.302 that the POI's I show all appear to be off road. I only show Petrol Stations and Car Parks along with Speed Cameras. The icon is in the right spot along the road but appears to show further Right on the screen so Petrol Stations are either in a field or down a side road.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ian
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's POIs? TomTom or PGPSW?
sturgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry TomTom's POI's except speed cameras wich are PGSPW's
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this is a recurrence of an old and as yet unsolved problem (it usually goes away by itself)
As you may know, most SatNavs for cars, "snap" your indicated position to the nearest road, so you cannot see any small positional errors.
There have been several incidents where this error gets large enough for the position of your car cursor to run about 100-200metres adrift, either ahead or behind your real position (if the road runs in that direction) or PARALLEL to the road. Often you only see it if there happens to be another road running beside the one you are on.

Once, about a year ago, I saw just what you are describing, but with some speed camera positions from this site. I didn't manage to get a screen grab at the time, but I made a mockup of what it looked like, and even still have it!

The general problem has been discussed on these forums several times (try a search for "200 yards" or "200 metres") but it has been one of the few "unsolved mysteries" that we have never really got a solution for.
I suffered with it fairly often for a while, (even convincing myself it happened at the same time on the same day of the week!) but haven't had it for ages. For a while we also convinced ourselves it was something to do with the GPSQuickFix downloads from TomTom.

For me, the situation usually slowly improved over 45 minutes to an hour, except for once when it persisted for about 5 days. Just when I had given up on it and was about to send it away for repair, it all came good, and hasn't shown the same symptoms for months since.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me that I use to create scenery for Microsoft's flight sim.

On each new release they use to move the position of the land on the earth - What power they have. It made it really difficult to keep moving the scenery to the new position, with some 1200 lats and longs to retype in and re-compile for it to work.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the image posted you only have probably 3 satellites. That's marginal. In theory 3's enough, 4 to give height. But the 3 signals have to be perfect. Given that modern GPS chips can pull in 8 or 9 pretty easily with TT-sized antennas, chances are that if it could only latch onto to 3, then all 3 feeds weren't perfect. Accuracy is v. poor without extra satellites to compensate for momentary loss of 3rd sat (buildings or wet leaves overhead). An accelerometer and gyro could fix, but we can't all afford that model Wink

And as you say, the snap-to covers lots of sins, e.g. the road may well be in a different place from when the POI was added. POI location would most probably have been done on the highest quality map on a workstation, but a recent TomTom is a very compressed map. Amazingly so.

Lot better than when SA was on: 100m was considered good then, and the cursor on the road - without snap-to - a fluke! Frontage roads along freeways, as are common in some cities in California, would often lead to amazing directions as it tried to re-route off the freeway in order to get on it, if you see what I mean!

OADT, who at TT had the bright idea to make QuickIcons coloured? (See the green arrow jukebox/FM button in Andy's image.) They should surely be silhouette ones like the + and - ones in the corners. Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

layingback wrote:
In the image posted you only have probably 3 satellites.

As I said, I could not make a screen grab at the time, so the image is a MOCK-UP, but gives a fair indication of the main navigation view at the time.

Quote:
OADT, who at TT had the bright idea to make QuickIcons coloured? (See the green arrow jukebox/FM button in Andy's image.) They should surely be silhouette ones like the + and - ones in the corners.

They are quite a muted colour now, and the background is transparent.
Faucet
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

This displacement of the map from the gps position as shown on Andy-P's mock up looks like what used to happen with Palm Top Software (which later became Tom Tom) running on the Psion 5. On that software there was a control to calibrate the map so that the curser was moved to the correct position.

I wonder if the error you are seeing is due to the software not calibrating correctly at start up, maybe moving off before having a fix?

On page 7 of the manual it says
The following conditions are required for successful calibration:
Your Go is receiving a strong GPS signal.
The car has been stationary for at least 5 seconds and then travels along a straight and level section of road for at least one minute.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Page 7 quote is correct, but this is the first I've ever heard of
Quote:
and then travels along a straight and level section of road for at least one minute.
for a straight GPS fix.

How straight? How level? And how come the most accurate GPS positioning equipment, used to determine reference points for maps are absolutely static, you don't even want them to vibrate during the calibration process...

Unless this is specific for a 9xx with accelerometer/gyro?

Keep it still for a good calibration. With a view of as many satellites as possible. 5 secs might be fine if it was switched off recently (so that the satellites haven't moved too much) and you are turning it back on in same location, within a mile, as when you switched it off. Again more satellites available, quicker the calibration. An approximate guide to when it's calibrated is when it starts to quickly pull in 5 - 9 satellites - it must have figured out were the sats are relative to it, and thus where it is, in order to pull in the others, But once calibrated extra time isn't going to make that much difference for the type of use we put TT's too. If the line representing the road is only somewhere within the width of the actual roadway, an accuracy of less than about a road width doesn't buy you much.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Once, about a year ago, I saw just what you are describing, but with some speed camera positions from this site. I didn't manage to get a screen grab at the time, but I made a mockup of what it looked like, and even still have it!

On a slightly different tack: how are your speed cam icons configured to give you 2 warnings with different icons (presumably for the same camera)?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:

On a slightly different tack: how are your speed cam icons configured to give you 2 warnings with different icons (presumably for the same camera)?

In that picture they aren't different... the red border on the one on the main display is what the TT used to put round them when you approached one with the "warn when near" set. This doesn't happen any more, I can't remember if it stopped with v8 or only when v8.300 changed the appearance of the poi icons completely.

However, now that you can use double-sized icons for the large one in the top left corner, it could be different if you wish.
All you would need to do is make a different icon and call it "abcdef_X2.bmp" (where abcdef is the name of your POI category.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor.dowle wrote:

If you have a look on my TT page HERE you can see how this is done with a couple of sets of icons to download.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:

If you have a look on my TT page HERE you can see how this is done with a couple of sets of icons to download.

It may still look as good as that on a ONE, but if it follows the "upgrade" route of the Go's you won't get such large clear warning icons for much longer.
They have messed with the display in v8.3 and beyond, so the icons are reduced from 44x44 down to 32x32 and a graphic border put round them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: