Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OpenStreetMap - Now YOU can take control of the maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenStreetMap - Now YOU can take control of the maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: OpenStreetMap - Now YOU can take control of the maps Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWe've posted about OpenStreetMap (OSM) a number of times over the years but it wasn't until recently that I realised just how much the map data had improved.

Browsing the OSM map via a GPS app on my iPhone I was amazed at how good it is with many large urban areas comprehensively covered. Take a look for yourself at OpenStreetMap.

Of course the first thing we all do is check our local area. Browsing my local streets I noticed many of the side roads were missing or lacking road-names and so I thought I'd add them.

OSM is an open source GPS map created by users from GPS tracks and traces. YOU can edit the map, correct errors, add new roads etc and its surprisingly easy once you have had a practice.

With my data-logger charged I set off to drive all the local side streets to capture their GPS tracks. Then all that needs to be done is for the tracks to be uploaded to OSM in .gpx format. Using one of the editor applications (there are many available, I used the web based Potlatch) you can view your uploaded 'traces' on the master map which allows you to add and precisely position your missing streets. Once done you can easily categorise the road and add its name.

I added seven new streets last night and they are now available on the master map. It gives you an enormous sense of pleasure to see your edits appear, no more waiting for TeleAtlas or Navteq to correct a map or add a new road.

Of course, at the moment the OSm map is not navigable or usable in turn by turn applications but it won't be long before it could be. if we all added a road or two we could get the UK comprehensively mapped very quickly.

So come on, what are you waiting for! http://www.openstreetmap.org/.
Eddiejen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Openstreetmap Reply with quote

I think this project is underestimated. I agree,

if everybody who accesses pocketworld did a bit of logging and filled in the gaps it would rival the main map providers.

Once routable applications arrive the map data could be freely used.

Should pocketgpsworld have a dedicated forum and promote openstreetmap land organise logging get togethers or partys ?
Eddiejen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I didn't see the other posts !!!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned to map most of my town a month or so back, until I realised that it had been done not long before in an organised mapping event.

I have removed a couple of now incorrect point of interest tags though since things have changed with that since the mapping was done - just to rpove mapping is a continual cycle.
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as this doesn't go the same way as Gracenote (and some would say PGPSW SCDB Wink) by getting the poor mugs of the public to do the leg work, then later packaging the whole thing up as a commercial offering.
jpcarreiro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Garmin you can download ( or create) routable maps from OSM data

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

They are far from perfect, but you could allways improve the data and make them better Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
As long as this doesn't go the same way as Gracenote (and some would say PGPSW SCDB Wink) by getting the poor mugs of the public to do the leg work, then later packaging the whole thing up as a commercial offering.

Uh as someone who benefited from a lifetime subscription as did many others that wasn't a bad deal for a poor mug! So let's not dig up that again please.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT? My local isn't shown - better fix that!

Also, I'm going to get weird looks walking around near my parents as none of the small roads are shown. I'll be good and label the roads correctly as well - something TeleAtlas haven't managed to do. Wink
Brodit ProClip mount
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Uh as someone who benefited from a lifetime subscription as did many others that wasn't a bad deal for a poor mug! So let's not dig up that again please.
Hence the smiley ;)
But the point is still valid. What's to prevent the OpenStreetMap people collecting all the data and then going commercial? Are there any guarantees in place, or availability of the DB under GPL?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
But the point is still valid. What's to prevent the OpenStreetMap people collecting all the data and then going commercial? Are there any guarantees in place, or availability of the DB under GPL?

There is some discussion on this issue here.
Eddiejen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having read the link I see they are trying to protect contributors to the project and prevent abuse by others using the information. It was well worth reading!

One other project to support is the free the postcode at http://www.freethepostcode.org/

The projects seem to be closely related in helping to free up geographical data and in my opinion will only help to allow the development of postcode lookup navigation for openstreetmap maps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a call from a friend the other day who lives on a cul-de-sac... asking me why i drove up his road then reversed back out again!!

thankfully he's heard of open street map!! i've got a lot of work to do for my area... still, i'll get there!

had some on the master map already and yes, it's rather satisfying!

MaFt
jkljkl6
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but what was the app you were using on your iPhone?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkljkl6 wrote:
Slightly off topic but what was the app you were using on your iPhone?

Can't see any reference to iPhone in the previous posts?

But as it happens I'm using MotionX GPS on my iPhone. It has an OSM page and can log tracks in .gpx format suitable for upload to OSM.

The tracks are emailed to you from your phone in .kmz for quick review on Google Earth and .gpx for OSM. works superbly and allows me to easily see which roads aren't mapped so I can log them Smile

plegilink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What iphone app were you using for this?
Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: