Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Options for Live Traffic Updates on PAYG
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Options for Live Traffic Updates on PAYG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Options for Live Traffic Updates on PAYG Reply with quote

Or maybe PAYG isn't the best route to go down?

I'd really appreciate some advice. I've succumbed and bought an iPhone Rolling Eyes but of course it doesn't have reliable enough step by step routing soooo I'm still using my trusty TomTom Go 520 (which appears to have lost volume on handsfree all of a sudden - but that's another topic!).

I have live traffic subscription but of course the TT won't pair with the iPhone - unless I'm missing a trick? No problem I thought, I'll get a PAYG Sim and stick it in the Sony Ericsson I used before the iPhone. I went for Tesco who use O2 on the basis that I was O2 previously and it worked well on contract. It doesn't work and neither TT or Tesco can assist with wireless data connection settings.

So, my questions:-

I'm assuming no-one has come up with a way of pairing TT with iPhone?

On the basis that they can't be paired, is there a PAYG tariff that works with the Go 520?

If there is one it needs to be able to charge reasonably for data. I won't ever use it for voice or text.

Is PAYG even the route I should be looking at? I use the live traffic a lot. For instance, next week I'm driving from Dorset to Hertfordshire on Monday, Hertfordshire to Suffolk and then onto Lincoln on Tuesday. Lincoln to Sussex on Wednesday and then back home to Dorset. Thursday, Dorset to Southampton. Friday, I'm only working 20 minutes away, so I think I can manage without Traffic Updates Laughing Out Loud. I have the traffic set for 10 minute updates - is PAYG going to be hideously expensive?

If I go Contract can I get one that is data based rather than making me pay for calls and texts I won't use?

Finally, is there a TT that doesn't rely on connection to a mobile phone for live updates? Given the dodgy voice connection and crackly speaker on my 520 I might be better getting a new TT.

Sorry this is so long for a first post. I really hope someone can help.

TIA

FF
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, forget using the iFone for a data connection as it simply won't work.

An O2 based PAYG sim card won't work either as O2 bar PAYG users from true the GPRS service which is needed for access to the servers at TomTom. Either Orange or T-Mobile PAYG cards will work for a data connection if you want to consider these, bear in mind the GPRS based traffic service is subscription based so you are paying TomTom to access the data and paying the mobile phone operator for network download traffic.

Have you considered an RDS-TMC receiver accessory for the device? these don't need a mobile phone connection and are subscription free for life. There are two types available, I would get the one with the Mini USB plug as it is the better of the two types in terms of signal reception. These receivers can be purchased for under £30 see Here - reception of a signal can be problematic depending upon signal coverage in parts or the UK, but with no running costs they are the cheaper solution - Mike
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

That looks like a good route to go down.

I'm being a bit 'bear of little brain' this morning though Rolling Eyes . Does this mean I still have to have my Live Traffic Subscription but don't need a mobile phone? Or can I cancel that too?

I could really do with this before I head off on my travels tomorrow. I feel lost without my live traffic Rolling Eyes . Shame it's more like £50 in any 'real' shops - I've checked Argos and Halfords
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purchase price includes the license to use the device for life so you could do away with the subscription charge and the need for a data connection via the phone.

Go and get a £10 T-Mobile sim to use in the SE phone for the next few days while the RDS receiver comes through the post, doing this you will still save £10 - Mike
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

Has anyone told you recently how brilliant you are Very Happy ?

Now, can you sort out my lack of Handsfree call volume ?

Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a call to your house phone via the TomTom, while you are holding conversation tap the lower left corner of the screen and turn the volume up to maximum - the phone handsfree volume can only be adjusted while you are using the device for a call - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have an offer on the TMC for £32.99 until the end of March.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=510&Lid=1
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Make a call to your house phone via the TomTom, while you are holding conversation tap the lower left corner of the screen and turn the volume up to maximum - the phone handsfree volume can only be adjusted while you are using the device for a call - Mike

Now you really are wonderful Very Happy . Sorted thank you!

Is this the right one? It looks like it's not a mini USB. Were the non-usb ones really rubbish? Also, do these not need a power supply?

Thanks again,

Sarah
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in the picture on offer is the mini usb version. This does require the TT car charger which plugs into this then this plugs into the TT and powers it.

I have found little difference between the USB and the older type, in my opinion they both take too long to get a signal.
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The one in the picture on offer is the mini usb version. This does require the TT car charger which plugs into this then this plugs into the TT and powers it.

I have found little difference between the USB and the older type, in my opinion they both take too long to get a signal.

You don't sound overly impressed Sad

I've just thought - if I go down this route I'm guessing I lose my Speed Cameras? I suppose I need to investigate the PGPS World speed Camera thingy Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RDS-TMC is the older type (not mini USB) and I have no signal problems at all.

However, Radio 5 Live is my constant companion - 693 and 909 MW, traffic updates at 15 and 45 mins past the hour.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing your TomTom speed cameras and getting the pgpsw ones would be called a wise move!

ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My RDS-TMC is the older type (not mini USB) and I have no signal problems at all.

However, Radio 5 Live is my constant companion - 693 and 909 MW, traffic updates at 15 and 45 mins past the hour.

Oh, do you have to have your radio tuned to a certain station all the time?

I'm not giving up Radio 2 Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbiddenFruit wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Oh, do you have to have your radio tuned to a certain station all the time?

I'm not giving up Radio 2 Laughing
MW Preset 1 is 693, Preset 2 is 909. Until TomTom come up with a reliable, accurate and up to date traffic service (in your dreams!!), I'm happy to combine the free for life RDS-TMC with Radio 5 live. And (at my age) it's a big plus not having Radio 2 going. Twisted Evil

ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Losing your TomTom speed cameras and getting the pgpsw ones would be called a wise move!

Ok, ok I took the hint and have just paid for it Razz

If you're ok getting a signal on the RDS-TMC in the depths of Binegar, I reckon I'll be ok in the rest of the civilised world Razz . I'll wave thanks at you next time I'm taking the scenic route from Christchurch to Brizzle!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: