Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs/Gatso speed limit question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs/Gatso speed limit question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddington1961
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Specs/Gatso speed limit question Reply with quote

If a specs or gatso gives a speed but the official limit for an HGV is lower will the specs/gatso trigger a speeding ticket if you drive faster. I personally stick to the official limit but a colleague insists you can drive just below the indicated limit.

Any help would be appreciated.

If this is the wrong forum could somebody point me in the right direction.

Jeremy
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quote from several other forums:

Quote:
Gatso speed cameras can also identify between cars/vans and HGVs separately. For example, if the speed limit was 60mph for cars/vans and 40mph for HGVs the camera will enforce the two separate limits.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is lots of debate on this but it would appear that some cameras can identify the different vehicle types.

As such I wouldn't recommend testing any theory, could be an expensive lesson.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Thread which contains some details on how these contraptions work and some of the locations they are known to be. Its fair to say not all Gatso's have height finder or weight sensors attached to them - Mike
paddington1961
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

I was curious since I travel on the A14 between the A1 and Cambridge (covered by SPECS) on a regular basis and while I stick to 50mph every other man and his dog thunders past me.

As I have 6 points now (3 to a GATSO on the A5 near Nuneaton and 3 to a Mobile Camera just over the brow over a hill in Mid wales) it would indeed be an expensive experiment!

Jeremy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddington1961 wrote:
while I stick to 50mph every other man and his dog thunders past me.
That’s the difference between people who know how Specs cameras work and those that are simply stupid, anyone slowing down for a Specs camera then speeding up as they get past it is playing Russian Roulette with their driving license - Mike
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremy, i travel on that stretch too very reguraly in a hgv. 56 mph and never had a ticket. but as i get paid by the hour now i NEVER EVER break the speed limit for a hgv. the money, and points are better of in your own pocket Laughing Laughing
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
paddington1961 wrote:
while I stick to 50mph every other man and his dog thunders past me.
That’s the difference between people who know how Specs cameras work and those that are simply stupid, anyone slowing down for a Specs camera then speeding up as they get past it is playing Russian Roulette with their driving license - Mike
Mike,
Do we know of anybody who has recieved a NIP for a Specs offence? Every time I pass through a Specs area (usually @ limit-2 MPH on GPS) there is a continuous stream of people shooting past and then slamming on the brakes when they get to the cameras. I'm no great arithmetician but surely this peak/trough driving can't bring their average down below the posted limit? Surely these drivers are getting points and presumably slowing down the next time they hit a Specs area? Given the number of Specs areas there are nowadays, surely the whole of the population of drivers who don't understand Specs will have been hit soon and been educated? Are Specs just a big con? Twisted Evil

PS Is there something whong with my monitor/eyes? Have the Emoticons changed shape to resemble teddy bears???

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
PS Is there something whong with my monitor/eyes? Have the Emoticons changed shape to resemble teddy bears???

I am sure I observed Clarkson on one of the pitures on the site earlier today so perhaps the "pixel fairy" is playing......

Interesting point about the Specs cameras, but I doubt they would bother to deploy them if they didn't return a cash reward Evil or Very Mad - Is the risk worth taking to gamble on this issue, I just back the speed down to -1MPH as indicated on the GPS and cruise through the section unless traffic/ weather conditions dictate a slower speed - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

No changes have been made to the emoticons.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: