Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare...free for how long?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare...free for how long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royston
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Mapshare...free for how long? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a tomtom 1 version 3 and downloaded the latest maps of W.Europe for free. I see there is also a mapshare which is free but for how long. I think I read somewhere that this service lasts for one year from registering. Am I correct?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one about one year with each map. If you buy a new map, you should get mapshare updates for another year.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapShare will last forever (in my opinion). As far as TomTom is concerned, it's like the goose which lays the golden eggs. The supposed one year is just sales talk and in any event relies on you buying new maps within a year. Funny how you need to buy new maps if MapShare is all it's cracked up (by TomTom) to be?

You submit to them all the errors you find in their maps at no charge to them.

They tell the world about MapShare and how millions of TT users are sending in corrections for other users to benefit from.

How can TT go wrong? I'll bet that if you never downloaded a new map, MapShare would still work forever, TT wouldn't want to drop something as useful to them as that.

Cynic? Yes. I don't download MapShare "corrections" and I don't believe TomTom's sales hype.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
houghw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up using mapshare!

It has proven to be no where near as good as TomTom claimas only very minor changes appear to be incorporated into your map. You still need to purchase a new map regularly to get the big changes (missing roads and roundabouts for example) and even then there is no guarantee that the changes will have been incorporated yet.

I agree that mapshare has the potential to be a brilliant tool for keeping maps up to date but feel the total lack of feedback (either by saying thankyou or updating maps) and slow incorporation of submitted corrections means its use will become limited.

Personally I've started to ask myself why do I bother? I do all the work, get no thanks for it and then have to shell out another £40 odd quid to buy the latest map anyway! I enjoy keeping the Speed Camera database up to date and the POI files as you can see these being incorporated and you don't have to pay every time the files are updated!

Unfortunately the story is exactly the same if you submit a correction to TomTom or Tele Atlas directly!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club. But I gave up when I found that the accuracy of Mapshare was very dodgy - the day TT closed the A40 into London, for example.

Plus they don't pass different map corrections around different map versions, so all this BS about having millions of correc tions from millions of users is precisely that - BS!! Your corrections don't pass over to my map unless I'm using exactly the same map as you and vice versa.

Plus they lose all your corrections when you get anew map and you need to do them all over again.

And unlike PGPSW, they don't give you a free subscription if you are the first to submit an accurate correction. There's gratitude and incentive for you (NOT!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mccririck
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find there are certain errors you cant report properly. For example were the B781 meets the B780, you continue straight if you're going east onto the B780, but if you are coming up the B780 from the south you have to either turn left onto the B781, or right to continue on the B780. TomTom thinks if you continue on the B70 you are going straight and dont have to turn. It has the T-junction the wrong way, and there's no way of reporting this error properly!

I recently found another example like this.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but you can report it to TA directly as they have a 'What's wrong with it' type description box. But if I were you, I wouldn't bother. I, like loads of other people, have got fed up with reporting wrong stuff that never gets into the maps. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: